Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Myrtle Beach Bike Week on Last Leg?  (Read 3608 times)

amigo Jorge

• LDR #00372
  • 5k CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '20 FLHTCUTGSE Trike CVO
Re: Myrtle Beach Bike Week on Last Leg?
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2008, 07:57:21 AM »

At least I had the opportunity to attend that event this year..... >:(

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2008, 07:59:09 AM »

At least I had the opportunity to attend that event this year..... >:(

And Jorge, it is always a pleasure to be at the same place as you and Martha!

:2vrolijk_21:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

lilbear

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: '06 VRSCSE2 - Yellow & Silver
    • CVO2: '08 FLHRSE4 - Black & Silver
    • CVO3: '11 FLHXSE2 - Black & Orange
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2008, 08:57:54 AM »

And Jorge, it is always a pleasure to be at the same place as you and Martha!

:2vrolijk_21:

I'll second that!  It sure was great seeing the two of you at MBBW this year!

Craig

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2008, 01:56:14 PM »

:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

SERK3

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 FLHRSE3
Myrtle Beach Bike Rally
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2008, 07:22:07 AM »

I'm sure everyone has heard that the powers to be are tring to stop the bike rally in MB. Everything that i have heard or read about it all they talk about is the spring rally nothing about the fall. Wonder if this means both of them? Also, wonder if the fall rally in Oct. is still on or not? The ones of you that live in the Carolina's maybe have heard more about it. Our little group is going in Oct., Rally or not.  :drink:
07 SCREAMIN EAGLE ROAD KING, RAZOR RED WITH GOLD FLAMES
V&H DUALS WITH HI-OUTPUT SLIP-ONS, ZIPPERS THUNDER MAX w/AUTOTUNE, NESS BIG SUCKER, LED TURN AND BRAKE LIGHTS. FARING, HARD BAGS & KING TOUR PAK.
LIVE EASY, RIDE HARD

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 FLHTUSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3
Re: Myrtle Beach Bike Rally
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2008, 07:26:15 AM »

Fall Rally is definitely on & I'm heading that way. Click on Myrtle Beach Bike Rally for the details. THE MUFFMAN

Spike

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 vrscse-sold
    • CVO2: 07 flhrse
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2008, 07:55:56 AM »

Serk3,
          that's the first I've heard of them trying to stop the rally. I just got back from there a couple of weeks ago and every hotel had vacancy the entire week we were there. A bunch of the older hotels are being knocked down to build high rise condos also. I know the powers that be have been trying for a long time to turn MB into a more respectable place but as much money as BW brings in, it's hard to argue with that kind of revenue.

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 FLHTUSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2008, 08:05:57 AM »

Unfortunately town council was trying to stop the Rally & raised taxes to net a million dollars to rid them of us motorcycle slime balls. AS many people as possible should try to attend the fall rally to show the town council what they $$$$$ will be missing if we go elsewhere. THE MUFFMAN
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 08:13:41 AM by Muffman »

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2008, 08:59:25 AM »

Serk3,
          that's the first I've heard of them trying to stop the rally. I just got back from there a couple of weeks ago and every hotel had vacancy the entire week we were there. A bunch of the older hotels are being knocked down to build high rise condos also. I know the powers that be have been trying for a long time to turn MB into a more respectable place but as much money as BW brings in, it's hard to argue with that kind of revenue.

That right there is the problem. Hotels are not full all year long so they are looking at way to increase bottom line. Going to a condominium would allow these properties to have residents all year long (full occupancy rate). The problem is some people (non bikers) do not want to live where there is a rally. These people are not your local businessmen. They are the retirees who the State and County are courting. Their justification is that a rally can be moved anywhere, you can't just move the beach. It just seems there is more money in the condos than the hotels.

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2008, 09:20:55 AM »

That right there is the problem. Hotels are not full all year long so they are looking at way to increase bottom line. Going to a condominium would allow these properties to have residents all year long (full occupancy rate). The problem is some people (non bikers) do not want to live where there is a rally. These people are not your local businessmen. They are the retirees who the State and County are courting. Their justification is that a rally can be moved anywhere, you can't just move the beach. It just seems there is more money in the condos than the hotels.

That's the exact reason there's moves afoot to end the Daytona Bike Week also.  The city council is trying to go to condos on the beach for the exact same reason.  And, for the exact same reason, they are trying to pooh-pooh the rally.

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

harley1005

• Been riding for 44 years
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2008, 07:35:54 PM »

Black Bike Week is actually an Atlantic Beach Bike Event and will continue. The only thing Myrtle Beach has accomplished is , or will be, getting rid of us Harley Bike Week people. What really is interesting is while at Myrtle Beach Bike  Week this year I couldn't help  but notice how many Cop and Fire Fighter Clubs attended this event and how many Business type people I talked to, not to mention the  family people who were there riding their Harley's with their wife's. The so called "Hard Core" type  bikers seemed to stay for the most part to themselves. So, please just tell me... Who are these terrible people Myrtle Beach is wanting to get rid of??? I'm a little confused on that! lol  The City is taxing it's business community in excess of $1,000,000.00 to try and find a replacement for Bike Week. Now you tell me who they will find to do  this... No one else is going to pay double and tripple motel price increases, no one else will tip the waitresses in the  restaurants as much, and if they bring in that many people in 4 wheel vehicles the traffic problem that the so called residents complain about will have to be more than twice as bad as it is with vehicles of the 2 wheel type. Myrtle Beach is a Resort Town , not Home Town America. When people move there you would  think they would realize this. So, you can't compare a Resort Town to  Home Town America like theMyrtle Beach Town Counsil always like to refer to. The Police in Myrtle Beach seem to have no problem enforcing the Law during Harley Bike Week and in my opinion some what in excess, but during  the so called Black Bike Week they are , or seem to be afraid to enforce the law, which is why that event has gotten totally out of hand. The fear of the NAACP, by the MB Police Department and the MB City Council could be the  problem, not the Harley Bikers for sure and most likely not the Black Bikers either. It is just that the Black Bikers have never been kept in check. Am I on to some thing here?
Keep It In The Wind!

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2008, 10:29:23 AM »

good 1st post harley1005.  Welcome to CVOharley.com. 

Everyone is afraid of being perceived as racist, but the fact that the BBW event excludes anyone else by race is racist by itself.  Those who are opposed to the crowds in their own town should jump on the bandwagon and come up with some cash only ideas to take advantage of the influx of out of town money.  "If life gives you lemons, make lemonade."
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

RedFXR2

« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2008, 01:21:13 PM »

I think Harley1005 pretty much hit it.  I can see some parallels here in SoFla, and I'm not in Daytona.

This area is full of retirees.  They like things their way.  They feel absolutely entitled to it, never how things were before they got there.  In fact, if South Florida is any indication, they will firmly believe that they are saving Myrtle Beach from itself through their presence.  To an awful lot of them, motorcycles are all still the realm of criminals and thugs.  And they're loud.  And at a rally there are a lot of them.  A lot of these folks don't like this stuff.

I just live around a lot of retirees from the NE.  By and Large, they're not much on compromise.

I'm sure more and more retirees are looking at beach towns out of Florida, due to taxes and property insurance issues.  It's nothing new for them to leave South Florida and move to the southern Appalachian mountains.  Been doing that for years.  Now I'm hearing them talk about Charleston, SC and Wilmington, NC specifically.

The whole BBW thing is fraught with politics. 
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.351 seconds with 21 queries.