Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Author Topic: Lost confidence in Rinehart !!!  (Read 23365 times)

copout221

• Still Shopping !
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5
    • Taillight Solutions
Lost confidence in Rinehart !!!
« on: June 19, 2008, 11:23:43 PM »

So my exhaust system is approx 1.5 yrs old and I have noticed the exhaust caps are turning color (purple). So I called Bub enterprises and spoke with Brad in tech support / warranty. I explained my situation as I know others on this forum have also done and he denied my claim since my $1000.00 exhaust system is beyond the 1 year warranty. I was seriously disappointed with his decision to immediately deny my claim and his unwillingness to help me in any way. This is the third Rinehart exhaust system I have purchased (and the last) for my bikes and I feel as though they (Bub/Rinehart) use the 1 year warranty excuse to NOT stand behind an obvious defect in their product. I know others on this forum and on the HD forums who have had the same problem with their end caps which were beyond the one year warranty period and Rinehart replaced the caps without question. If they are going to use this excuse to tarnish their reputation and turn customers away I wish they would do it for everyone. Thanks for nothing Bub/Rinehart. I know my next exhaust system will NOT have the Rinehart name on it !!!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Lost confidence in Rinehart !!!
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 11:34:44 PM »

I'm not a fan of Rineharts.  Too loud for my tastes and don't want to actually spend money for the torque dip they deliver early on.  And lord knows I trust the vendors generally about as far as I can throw Firedood.  On this, however, I don't see how anyone can say they've done wrong.

If they choose to honor a warranty request above and beyond the terms of the warranty contract that's great.  Cudos for service above and beyond the call.  But it is above and beyond the call.

It's a known quantity that the Rinehart end caps commonly turn purple (or occasionly orange or reddish brown too).  The warranty period is specified and not hidden; something that is also known before the purchase.  So we buy them knowing how long the warranty is and that they have a fair chance of changing color.  We accept that risk by making the purchase.

If something failed one week short of warranty expiration it's not fair for them to say "ah man, it's only one week until the warranty is out, how about cutting me some slack and not making the claim."  It's equally not fair for us to expect warranty service in perpetuity.  If they'd do it, great.  But it's hard to damn them for not doing so.

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 11:58:51 PM »

2lane,

I agree and I would not expect them to handle this issue any different....after all, a copy of the warranty is provided at the time of purchase.  And you are right, in that the problem is well known and some folks choose to buy the Rinehart exhaust anyway.

However, it seems that if a company knows there is a recurring problem, the company would be concerned about their reputation and would change their product so the same problem didn't occur in the future.

Wait a minute this sounds like another company we all know of ???

(I buy Vance & Hines)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 12:09:36 AM by LRebel »

copout221

• Still Shopping !
  • Senior CVO Member

• Taillight Solutions
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 12:03:45 AM »

2lane,

I agree and I would not expect them to handle this issue any different.  And you are right, in that the problem is well known and some folks choose to buy the Rinehart exhaust anyway.

However, it seems that if a company knows there is a recurring problem, the company would be concerned about their reputation and would change their product so the same problem didn't occur in the future.

Wow, does this sound like another company we all know of??????

(I buy Vance & Hines)

I agree 100% but they need to be CONSISTANT with how they decide to bend the rules. The ONLY reason I called them was because I read on this forum and HD Forums that people were not having any problem getting the caps replaced after the warranty had expired. This is the only reason I thought they would extend the same courtesy to me. Now I have a seriously bad taste in my mouth for them and will not give them another .01 of my money. I guess there are several ways to look at this whole situation.

TORKER07

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 12:14:35 AM »

Sorry to hear your troubles.
It is my understanding that Rinehart did indeed change the process for blackening their exhaust tips. My original ones were black anodized aluminum. The new replacement ones I was told are black ceramic coated. Yes mine were replaced within the one year period. I noticed them discoloring after the first season and decided to change them out over the winter season, thanks Rinehart.

Maybe you should ask for a price break because of the process change. Just a thought.

Tork

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 12:54:00 AM »

I agree 100% but they need to be CONSISTANT with how they decide to bend the rules. The ONLY reason I called them was because I read on this forum and HD Forums that people were not having any problem getting the caps replaced after the warranty had expired. This is the only reason I thought they would extend the same courtesy to me. Now I have a seriously bad taste in my mouth for them and will not give them another .01 of my money. I guess there are several ways to look at this whole situation.

On that we agree completely CO.  Several anecdotes from just the group here of Rinehart doing that.  Certainly enough to leave one with an expectation that they might.  But we can't count on last year's or even yesterday's generosity from them obligating them to do the same thing today or tomorrow.

I agree.  Precedent should matter.  Unfortunately it's not an absolute though.

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 FLHTUSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008, 06:21:19 AM »

My brother in law bought new Rineharts from Eastern Performance last year and the tips blued out. He called Rinehart this spring, didn't even ask for proof of purchase & shipped him 2 new ones. He thought he would have problems getting them shipped up to Canada but went smoooth as silk. THE MUFFMAN.

RioGlide

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 SE Road King - sold
    • CVO2: 07 VRSCDX - Night Rod Special - sold
    • CVO3: 11 FLRTUSE - Rio Red
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2008, 08:13:53 AM »

I think this is a factor of heat only.  Some bikes run hotter than others.

My Rinehart tips are just as black & beautiful a year and 9000+ miles later.

But I'm on the V-rod forums a lot and invariably, the tip of a Rinehart 2:1 turns orange or brownish on a V-rod.  These bikes consistently run much hotter than the Airheads, so Rineharts and discoloration go together on V-rods.

I would guess you're running a good deal hotter than average.

I went to RH's along w/ SERT & richer AF mix in order to run somewhat richer / less hot.  Just IMO, I think this combo has worked, partly based on the lack of discoloration of my RH caps.

ok off the :soapbox: now

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2008, 08:41:32 AM »

Replace them with chrome, it looks better too.

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2008, 09:56:41 AM »

I think this is a factor of heat only.  Some bikes run hotter than others.

My Rinehart tips are just as black & beautiful a year and 9000+ miles later.

But I'm on the V-rod forums a lot and invariably, the tip of a Rinehart 2:1 turns orange or brownish on a V-rod.  These bikes consistently run much hotter than the Airheads, so Rineharts and discoloration go together on V-rods.

I would guess you're running a good deal hotter than average.

I went to RH's along w/ SERT & richer AF mix in order to run somewhat richer / less hot.  Just IMO, I think this combo has worked, partly based on the lack of discoloration of my RH caps.

ok off the :soapbox: now

Don't buy that one. My right tip was starting to turn, so thinking my right side was running hotter, I swapped L for R so the other tip would color to match. Now I've got one jet-black and one gold one. The jet-black one definitely has  different look to the coating to it, almost like it has a flake pattern to it. The gold one does not.

I think think I got one new cap and one old cap.

Also, the gold cap is a lot darker on the underside than on the top side, so I feel light / UV has a lot to do with it.

:indian_chief:

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
  • BLUU 10 SEUC,09 Street Glide
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2008, 10:27:12 AM »

I second that recommendations about switching to Chrome Tips!! They look better and never wear out or change colors!!
1000 Bears Can't Be Wrong Eat Your Honey Then Ride Safe and Smoke A Good Cigar!!

copout221

• Still Shopping !
  • Senior CVO Member

• Taillight Solutions
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2008, 11:26:53 AM »

I second that recommendations about switching to Chrome Tips!! They look better and never wear out or change colors!!

I agree and will replace them with chrome caps when I get some more $$

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2008, 11:30:34 AM »

Wish they could be ordered with chrome caps.

2 sets RH both with black caps & considering either powder coating them or going chrome.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2008, 11:33:53 AM »

I agree and will replace them with chrome caps when I get some more $$
Or maybe change to the Freedom chrome caps if they fit then they wont say Rinehart on them :nixweiss:

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2008, 11:46:33 AM »

Wish they could be ordered with chrome caps.

2 sets RH both with black caps & considering either powder coating them or going chrome.

I specifically asked them about that and for the above stated reasons of fading. Their response was that the black end caps were their trademark and I could always buy the chrome ones if I wanted. So nice of them, isn't it.

:indian_chief:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 20 queries.