Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: How Old?  (Read 2654 times)

Sean M Cary

How Old?
« on: June 28, 2008, 12:06:57 PM »

I have two kids - 8 year old (going on 30) daughter and my recently turned 6 year old son...

Wondering how old most of you started your kids riding...and what kind of helmet did you make them wear?

My 8 year old is starting to REALLY want to ride with me, but the wife is giving me the "are you that stupid" look (more then usual at least).

If I let her ride, then I face the dilemma of a really pissed of 6 year old.

Sean

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: How Old?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 01:11:52 PM »

Sean, don't have kids but have a niece that rides with me.  Knowing that she would sooner or later we started early enough that she'd never really have the chance to be scared of it.

She was strapped to the sissy bar/backrest for her first ride before she was a year and a half.  First rides were only in a grandma's large yard going round and round round (because she didn't want to stop) or later on bike trails in a rural park.  Just before she was three she was riding on the street though. 

She's especially liked getting picked up at pre-school.  Little friends ooh and ahh and ask if they can ride and she always says no.  When she was much smaller her then still limited vocabulary contracted to three words when she was riding.  It was "oooooohhhh," "more" and "faster."

Now she's so comfortable she's just chattering away all the time back there.  She's about five and a half now.  Have had occasion to give neighbor kids or others rides and there's a lot more apprehension with their first rides; no matter how much they want to do it.

Important things to be aware of are the obvious (feet position and leg length vis-a-vis pipes, bag lids, etc) and the less obvious (if they are comfortable back there they will go to sleep on you).  Obviously you've got Mom to weigh in the decision.  Once she gives the green light, however, the earlier the familiarity can begin the better off they'll be.

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 01:39:14 PM »

My nephew is 8. I have asked him if he would like to ride and the answer has always been no. I asked him last week if he wanted his own dirt bike and the answer was "no". I told him when he was ready that his Uncle AJ would buy him a dirt bike. I figure that by the time the kid is ready I can get him a nice 125 and I'll be able to use it as well  ;D. Mind you that this is the same kid that last Christmas cried when I gave him a Red Ryder BB gun because he was afraid he would shoot his eye out.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2008, 01:52:47 PM »

My nephew is 8. I have asked him if he would like to ride and the answer has always been no. I asked him last week if he wanted his own dirt bike and the answer was "no". I told him when he was ready that his Uncle AJ would buy him a dirt bike. I figure that by the time the kid is ready I can get him a nice 125 and I'll be able to use it as well  ;D. Mind you that this is the same kid that last Christmas cried when I gave him a Red Ryder BB gun because he was afraid he would shoot his eye out.

AJ, I think my niece could take your nephew.  Though I didn't start her with a little dirt bike either.  Figured the hand/feet coordination could come first on four wheels.  Then if she's interested in a few years move on to one of the little dirt bikes.

I still laugh when I think of her first day riding the little ATV last December.  Throttle control turned down so far it just walked.  But she had so much fun.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2008, 01:54:04 PM »

Got this picture the same day.  Had ran the ATV out of fuel.  Though she didn't say the words the caption from her mind would be "Damn Thing Won't START!!"

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2008, 01:56:35 PM »

Finding the ATV pictures led me to stumble in to this.  I think this was her very first motorcyle ride.  About a year and a half old.  She won't even remember that Road King as the SEEG came along before she turned two.

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2008, 01:58:12 PM »

AJ, I think my niece could take your nephew.  Though I didn't start her with a little dirt bike either.  Figured the hand/feet coordination could come first on four wheels.  Then if she's interested in a few years move on to one of the little dirt bikes.

I still laugh when I think of her first day riding the little ATV last December.  Throttle control turned down so far it just walked.  But she had so much fun.

That almost goes without saying.
I really never thought about the four wheel thing before. I was just going to throw the kid onto two wheels and let him go. I figured a few scrapes and bruises wouldn't hurt that much. Now you know why I don't have any rugrats myself  ;D.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2008, 02:04:40 PM »

I really never thought about the four wheel thing before.

Honestly she's not ridden it a lot.  Winter sucked.  Spring has been wet.  Lots of other things to occupy time.  But she's ridden it some.  Probably a couple dozen times.  She does enjoy it.  Got cranky just yesterday actually because she's down with a summer cold that's pretty nasty and wanted to ride it but was told no.

It has seemed a good transitional option too.  I was wrong to think originally that unlike a bike she'd not lay it down.  She's put it on its side twice already.  She likes the share turns.....

She'll go half an hour or so at a time running around the big yard before she it's time to go do something else.  It's really not the easiest thing to drive either so I figure that's pretty good.  Lots of fun with me on the riding lawn mower and her buzzing past and around me on the little pink monster.

All tolled, however, I think this has been a better introductory and transitional piece of equipment than a little bike would have been.  Initially she was upset she couldn't get a little bike.  It would've been her choice.  But this seemed the more prudent course at her age and level of coordination right now.  So far it's seemed to work out.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2008, 04:35:28 PM »

She won't even remember that Road King as the SEEG came along before she turned two.
She's not the only one.  :-\ har!  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2008, 04:52:10 PM »

My middle son started riding his own dirt bike at 8 (xr80) and his older brother at 14.....
I was taking him on rides at 7 and the youngest has been on my bike since he was 4
3 boys now are 20.14 and 8  all have ridden with me.
mostly the little one rides with me now......apparently when you get to a certain age it is no longer cool to be seen with Dad, even if it is on a motorcycle
Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

skippy

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2008, 07:38:14 PM »

My boy was on the back of my bike at 7 years old  took the fatboy down the street at 12  he then went on the motocross thing  and became an A class rider. Glad to see that end ,spent more $ on motocross than the HD but it was worth it. ....

BIGDOG

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM#9.51 and a half .3
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2008, 09:17:32 PM »

My daughter started riding with me at about age 10. One of the most memorable things we did together was rode for two weeks together and saw a lot of the western states back as far as Nebraska to see family she had never meet.This was a daddy daughter trip no mom and it was something we still talk about at times even though she is 30 now. ::)
If your not liven on the edge , your taking up to much space!

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2008, 09:24:11 PM »

My daughter bugged me almost from the time she started talking to ride on the bike with me.  I told her when her feet could sit flat on the passenger floorboards then she could ride with me.  It was so fun to watch her "grow up" because she would go out at least once a week with me into the garage and get on bike to see how much taller she had gotten.  When the day came when she could put her feet flat on the floorboards, we put on her helmet (full face) that I had gotten for her a little earlier, and went around the neighborhood to see how she liked it.  I didn't even need to ask.  As we went around the neighborhood she was giving thumbs up to all of her friends and waving at them, all cool-like.  She was hooked.

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

BIGDOG

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM#9.51 and a half .3
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2008, 05:07:36 PM »

My daughter bugged me almost from the time she started talking to ride on the bike with me.  I told her when her feet could sit flat on the passenger floorboards then she could ride with me.  It was so fun to watch her "grow up" because she would go out at least once a week with me into the garage and get on bike to see how much taller she had gotten.  When the day came when she could put her feet flat on the floorboards, we put on her helmet (full face) that I had gotten for her a little earlier, and went around the neighborhood to see how she liked it.  I didn't even need to ask.  As we went around the neighborhood she was giving thumbs up to all of her friends and waving at them, all cool-like.  She was hooked.

:devil:

It just don't get any better!!!!!!!!!!!!
If your not liven on the edge , your taking up to much space!

elvislee

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2008, 09:55:01 PM »

I have custody of my two grandsons that live with me; some call us the three stooges :2vrolijk_21:ages 5 and 11yrs. The oldest rides all the time with a 3/4 shielded helmet. The little one from the time of 4 would always ride in front on the gas tank (my choice). He rode for the first time this past weekend on back and we took about a 5 mile little ride. He did a good job of listening and holding on; so, I guess now his gas tank days are over :)
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.184 seconds with 24 queries.