Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: 110" motor -- '07 vs '08  (Read 3184 times)

spepin

• Vendor
  • Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
    • CVO2: 2006 VRSCSE2
110" motor -- '07 vs '08
« on: July 09, 2008, 02:24:51 AM »

Okay, I've read enough horror stories here on the 110" motor to have me second guessing my decision to buy the SERK that I have a deposit on.  Then I read about "redesigned internals".  So what's the real deal?  Has there been improvements in reliability in the current incarnation of the 110" motor?  I seem to recall seeing photos showing how to tell from the outside whether the motor has the new or old head gaskets.  Can somebody point me to the thread?  Somebody tell me that I'm not making a $30K mistake here...

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
Re: 110" motor -- '07 vs '08
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 06:35:49 AM »

Okay, I've read enough horror stories here on the 110" motor to have me second guessing my decision to buy the SERK that I have a deposit on.  Then I read about "redesigned internals".  So what's the real deal?  Has there been improvements in reliability in the current incarnation of the 110" motor?  I seem to recall seeing photos showing how to tell from the outside whether the motor has the new or old head gaskets.  Can somebody point me to the thread?  Somebody tell me that I'm not making a $30K mistake here...
People already know my advice, unless you want to spend a lot of money re making the engine, forget it.
The gaskets are not the fix, only a bandaid.  The older multi layer gaskets have two tabs with rivets sticking out of each side.  These are the older ones.  The crank problem seems to be early 07s so that issue should be gone in the 08s.
It will most likely be a $38-40K investment.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

SERK3

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 FLHRSE3
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 07:16:46 AM »

Mine is one of the early 07's bought it in sept. 06, You have a two year warranty plus i bought the extended warranty just because the 110 was new to harley, have 10,500 miles on mine now. So far so good (knock on wood) :) :)
07 SCREAMIN EAGLE ROAD KING, RAZOR RED WITH GOLD FLAMES
V&H DUALS WITH HI-OUTPUT SLIP-ONS, ZIPPERS THUNDER MAX w/AUTOTUNE, NESS BIG SUCKER, LED TURN AND BRAKE LIGHTS. FARING, HARD BAGS & KING TOUR PAK.
LIVE EASY, RIDE HARD

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 07:28:03 AM »

I have a coworker who has been considering another Harley for several years.  A month or so ago he came in talking about the Screamin Eagle model he looked at.  I just said don't buy a 110 and to look at this site before doing anything he might regret.  My '07 started seeping at 3000 and is not the lowest mileage for that by far.  I'd say it depends on your tolerance for frustration and willingness to eventually fix it yourself.  I call mine the Millstone.
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

16HD117

• When I was fifteen I wanted to be older. This is not what I expected!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • AKA 04hd103,AKA 07hd110,AKA 11hd110,AKA 16hd110
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 07:46:39 AM »

Buy the bike!  Don't pay any attention to all the whiners on this site!

:bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry:

Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting Holy Chit......... What a Ride!

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 07:58:58 AM »

As far as major upgrades and enhancements,,, none that we really know of. The bikes coming off the line now have the new gasket which has done a good job at stopping the oil leaks. I have also heard rumor, totally unsubstantiated, that there was a running production change on the cylinders that has helped with the liner problem. I say 'helped', because I am very weary of saying 'fixed'. It is also possible that the pool boy got this one wrong and the late cylinders are the same as the early model years. :nixweiss:

But, on the other side of things, don't let this scare you off from getting a bike you will love. A leak is a leak and that's all it is. I've been dealing with it for well over a year and I'm still putting on miles. Since my leak reappeared with the 07A gaskets, I've added right at 10,000 miles. I blot up the oil now and then, but still ride it without thinking about the problem too much.

We just did about 1,000 miles over the weekend to Daytona and back and thought many times about just how smooth that bike rides at speed.

It's not perfect, but then again, we're talking about Harley here. ;)

:indian_chief:

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 09:10:10 AM »

If you do not buy it, somebody else will, Spepin.  Depends on whether you really want an 08 SERK.  Most folks spend $4-6k (some a lot more than that) on upgrades on their SE bikes.  Of course some of us only spend $750, but we use a new math developed by Hogbreath for SE adds.

If I did not ride 2 up as much I would have bought the 07 SERK.  And by now it more than likely would have leaked, just as my 07 jester did.  And I would buy it again, just the same.  Did not lose any riding days due to the leak (at 17k) & in the shop for less than a week. Almost 5k since & no problems so far.

After all, it's up to you more than anyone, since you are the one paying for it.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Spike

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 vrscse-sold
    • CVO2: 07 flhrse
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 10:17:35 AM »

Buy the bike. My SERK has been the best experience that I've had in quite a while. Is everyones bike perfect...no ..will everyone tell you it's the best ride....yes. The fun factor is off the charts.

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 10:19:36 AM »

Buy the bike and worry about the leak when and if you get one. You are on this site for a reason, to gather unbiased information about an expensive purchase. I commend you for doing due diligence before the purchase. With that said, this problem is an issue that should not prevent you from riding. If a leak develops, schedule an appointment at your convenience to have the problem fixed. Knowing all of the problems my bike has had, I would still  buy it again. Don't let the rumblings here dissuade you from making your purchase. When I came to this board I was looking at an '06 SEUC. Many here told me to go for the then new '07. In my heart that is what I wanted. Reading all of this only helped me make my decision. I hope this helps you make yours.

AJ

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 11:20:04 AM »

I have a 07 SEUC, I had a leak at 8,300 Miles. I just took her in and had the new gaskets installed, all under warranty. I had problems with my evo motors, I had problems with my 88 inch twin cams, I am sorry to say, most Harley motors have weak spots, regardless of the generation. I love the way the bike runs, looks, sounds and feels. When I ride with friends that have the smaller motor, I need to work at keeping my speeds down, I am able to pass trucks better and cruise on the freeway without fear of stressing the bike. If you do buy, I would recommend buying the ext warranty. I have coverage until the end of 2013. My bet is that this will be the largest air cooled motor ever produced by Harley and the last of the air cooled big twins. I would wait to see the 2009 models, just in case they come out with something you must have. Announcement date is July 22. Good luck.

Scott

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2008, 11:24:52 AM »

I have a 10/06 build date 07 serk...just turned 6k...no leak yet.

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2008, 11:29:46 AM »

I have a 10/06 build date 07 serk...just turned 6k...no leak yet.

Well, there goes my batting average!!! ;)

:indian_chief:

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2008, 11:38:23 AM »

It was a science experiment Chuck, 50 mile break in then ...2-1 rh exhaust, sert to flat 13.7-13.9 afr and a early beating and lugging, idling in south beach traffic, general abuse...Plugs looked fine at 5k other than poor swirl in the combustion chamber......I just don't care for how it rides, maybe it is the lowered thing...

I added the ride str8 and either it added vibration at 2800 rpm or the crank is walkin... :'(

09 serg will cure all.. ;)

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2008, 03:44:28 PM »

Buy the bike!  Don't pay any attention to all the whiners on this site!

:bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry:

hey, i resemble that remark..... :coolblue:

TN

Wut the hell was that maneuver

kojak

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2008, 07:55:12 PM »

Bought my 2007 SERK Nov 2006. 12000 miles and no issues. Did all mods at about 800 miles.
kojak
2022 CVO RGL
2022 Apex FLTRK Traded
2021 CVO Limited Bronze Armor Sold
2019 RGS Billiard Blue Traded
2017 CVO Limited Spiked Olive Traded
2016 CVO SG Stardust Traded
2013 CVO RG Atomic Orange Sold
2010 CVO SG Cobalt Sold
2007 CVO RK Blue Traded
2005 CVO EG Teal Traded
And some 20 other bikes over 45 years
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.181 seconds with 24 queries.