Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Author Topic: replacement chrome wheels peeling  (Read 7335 times)

bostonut

• Junior CVO Member
  • feelin satisfied
replacement chrome wheels peeling
« on: June 09, 2005, 05:51:40 PM »

Now the second pair of chrome rims are shedding chrome like crazy. I'm getting really fed up with this crappy chrome.... [smiley=nixweiss.gif] I think I need a standing monthly service apointment to deal with all the warranty issues...
« Last Edit: June 09, 2005, 05:52:15 PM by bostonut »
other toys

1969 Firebird 400 conv.
1974 455 Firebird Formula
1977 CanAm
1989 20th anniv. Turbo Trans Am

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
Re: replacement chrome wheels peeling
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2005, 06:01:54 PM »

Welcome to the HD chrome club.  I replaced 3 rear and 2 front prior to solving the Detonator wheel problem.  Just got my scoot back from the shop and replaced both with the Mirror Chrome Thunderstar wheels at no charge.  Personally, I think they're about the best looking wheel that HD sells and think they did a lot to help my bike.  Will post a pic when and if it ever quits raining here and I can pull it out of my shop.  Glad you've only had the wheels to deal with thusfar.....keep an eye on the footboards, front and rear footboard supports, derby  cover, horn cover and grips.  I've had them all replaced with peeling chrome.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2005, 06:03:23 PM by BLM777 »

bostonut

• Junior CVO Member
  • feelin satisfied
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2005, 09:57:09 PM »

I have replaced wheels, mirrors, footboards, front fender,one lower, front shock mods, bag fillers, temp gauge, valve stem,and  fuel gauge. I have almost replaced everything but the muffler bearings ;)
other toys

1969 Firebird 400 conv.
1974 455 Firebird Formula
1977 CanAm
1989 20th anniv. Turbo Trans Am

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2005, 10:03:03 PM »

I have replaced wheels, mirrors, footboards, front fender,one lower, front shock mods, bag fillers, temp gauge, valve stem,and  fuel gauge. I have almost replaced everything but the muffler bearings ;)

With the wheels coming from an outside supplier and most of the bracketry and other small pieces being stamped in house I've wondered how the chrome problem got so systemic during (apparently) so much of the 04 production run.  Especially when it seems to be all but nonexistent for the 05.  Just have yet to figure out an explanation that explains the universaility of the problem in 04 but segregates it to that year  [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2005, 11:14:09 PM »

I have almost replaced everything but the muffler bearings ;)

I was having trouble with muffler bearing failure until I reversed the polarity of the neutron flow coming from the jiffy stand spring.  Give that a try and see what happens.  [smiley=nixweiss.gif] [smiley=lolk.gif]

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2005, 05:51:17 AM »

I was having trouble with muffler bearing failure until I reversed the polarity of the neutron flow coming from the jiffy stand spring.  Give that a try and see what happens.  [smiley=nixweiss.gif] [smiley=lolk.gif]

Finally a modification that I understand. I was also having trouble with muffler bearings and the calibration of jiffy stand spring fixed mine too.  Thanks for the tip 103.

haaaaaa haaaaaa  [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]

Actually, thanks so much BLM777, husband's peeling wheels are going to be replaced by the Mirror Chrome Thunderstar wheels at no charge.  We discussed this In the Valley, and we are pretty excited about what we consider a step up.  His two years will be up in November, so we are trying to pay close attention to the chrome issues.  
« Last Edit: June 10, 2005, 06:14:48 AM by Mrs._WeCVO »

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2005, 07:25:56 AM »

Finally a modification that I understand. I was also having trouble with muffler bearings and the calibration of jiffy stand spring fixed mine too.  Thanks for the tip 103.

Actually, thanks so much BLM777, husband's peeling wheels are going to be replaced by the Mirror Chrome Thunderstar wheels at no charge.  We discussed this In the Valley, and we are pretty excited about what we consider a step up.  His two years will be up in November, so we are trying to pay close attention to the chrome issues.  

MrsWE....I thingk MR will be very pleased with the look of the new wheels.  I'll try to post a pic in the next day or tow so he can see how they look on the bike.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2005, 09:08:15 AM »

Mr./Mrs. We............remember Nite-Al's '05 SEEG that you saw at Maggie Valley had the Mirror Chrome Thunderstar wheels.......looks great!    [smiley=thumbsup.gif]   spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2005, 11:17:40 AM »

Mrs We, I hope you didn't take it back to the same shop for that jiffy stand spring calibration.  You know they just would have left the harness to the calibrator hanging outboard in plain sight [smiley=7.gif]

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2005, 12:06:27 PM »

Mr./Mrs. We............remember Nite-Al's '05 SEEG that you saw at Maggie Valley had the Mirror Chrome Thunderstar wheels.......looks great!    [smiley=thumbsup.gif]   spyder

OK, I was talking to BLM777 about this and I thought he had the wheels already.  No, it was indeed NiteAl's bike that had them and they looked real good.  My, that bad memory thing is real baaaaddddd!  Thanks Spydglide for keeping me straight - or, I mean.... I best hush up.

And Twolane, Yes of course I keep taking my bike back to the shop who so hates me and my bike.  They only charged me - well lets just say a lot -  to calibrate that spring.   haaa haaaa.  If I did not laugh about this I would cry.  [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2005, 08:19:39 PM »

Here's a pic on the Thundestar Mirror Chrome used to replace the Detonator OEM's.  The 'o5's use a Thunderstar, but it is the 2 tone bright with a brushed inset on the spokes.  I thought the full mirror finish might look good.  I like it.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2005, 09:26:32 PM »

That's nice BLM.  Have always like the all chrome variant better than the wheels we got on the 05s.  Looks really nice  [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2005, 10:08:32 PM »

Thanks, Don.  Only thing I'm going to miss is the timing on the chrome problem and using it to replace tires on HD's dime.  Oh well....can't have everything.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2005, 10:24:45 PM »

BLM, the wheels look great! [smiley=beerchug.gif]  Surprised you didn't didn't $h!t-can the detonator rotors at the same time, though, just knowing what a detail freak you are, but the pattern on the rotors really isn't all that obvious, is it?

I hope you remembered to have them re-pack the muffler bearings while they were off to replace the rear wheel. [smiley=smoking.gif]

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2005, 07:18:19 AM »

BLM, the wheels look great! [smiley=beerchug.gif]  Surprised you didn't didn't $h!t-can the detonator rotors at the same time, though, just knowing what a detail freak you are, but the pattern on the rotors really isn't all that obvious, is it?

I hope you remembered to have them re-pack the muffler bearings while they were off to replace the rear wheel. [smiley=smoking.gif]

Very scary, Brian.....there you go reading my mind.  Thunderstar full chrome rotors should be here in about 3 weeks.  Don't think anyone but me would notice the difference, but you know how that goes.
[smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 20 queries.