Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9  All

Author Topic: CVO 110 Engine "Product Improvement Campaign" Data Only Here!  (Read 47886 times)

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
Re: CVO 110 Engine "Product Improvement Campaign" Data Only Here!
« Reply #60 on: July 24, 2008, 09:00:41 PM »

I brought the campaign to my dealers attention. They called the factory and was told, yes, the campain was true, and yes my bike will be included, but they do not have a time for parts to go out and no further information. It sounds like it will take some time for the factory to get the kits out. My dealer did not know anything about the campain, they just said they needed a lot of kits due to the number of 07 CVO's they just worked on.

I am getting ready to ride back to Harley's 105th. I had hoped to have the repairs all complete before the trip, I guess I will wait until I return.

Scottt

Steve_G

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • SD

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTUSE Watermelon (traded)
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHTUSE3 Anniversary (traded)
    • CVO3: 2022 FLHTKSE Hightail Yellow
« Reply #61 on: July 26, 2008, 01:28:37 PM »

Who has had the improvements done to their bike, or had a bike built after May 14th '08 who has still had leakage problems?  I just can't understand how any gasket can solve the problem of cylinder liner slippage.   :nixweiss:

I would hate to have to take my bike back after having the "Product Improvement Campaign" stuff done to my bike, only to have to go through another service nightmare down the road a few thousand miles later.
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies!

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #62 on: July 26, 2008, 04:49:45 PM »

Who has had the improvements done to their bike, or had a bike built after May 14th '08 who has still had leakage problems?  I just can't understand how any gasket can solve the problem of cylinder liner slippage.   :nixweiss:

I would hate to have to take my bike back after having the "Product Improvement Campaign" stuff done to my bike, only to have to go through another service nightmare down the road a few thousand miles later.

Steve,

The new gasket is designed to tolerate a small amount of liner movement and still maintain an oil-tight seal. If the liner moves a lot, it will leak.

A little is OK, a lot is not.

:indian_chief:

Steve_G

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • SD

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTUSE Watermelon (traded)
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHTUSE3 Anniversary (traded)
    • CVO3: 2022 FLHTKSE Hightail Yellow
« Reply #63 on: July 27, 2008, 12:28:19 PM »

Steve,

The new gasket is designed to tolerate a small amount of liner movement and still maintain an oil-tight seal. If the liner moves a lot, it will leak.

A little is OK, a lot is not.

What determines how much slippage will happen?  To me it still leaves an unsettled feeling about the reliability of my bike.  Obviously the slippage problem has been noted in quite a few cases by members of this web site.  Is it being ignored because the overall numbers are small enough that the Mo Co can use their typical denial tactic?

I feel like it is half a fix.  It may also simply forestall the problem and mask it until several thousand miles down the road. 
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies!

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #64 on: July 27, 2008, 12:58:18 PM »

What determines how much slippage will happen?  To me it still leaves an unsettled feeling about the reliability of my bike.  Obviously the slippage problem has been noted in quite a few cases by members of this web site.  Is it being ignored because the overall numbers are small enough that the Mo Co can use their typical denial tactic?

I feel like it is half a fix.  It may also simply forestall the problem and mask it until several thousand miles down the road. 

That's a great question. Don't know the answer. I'm pretty confident that the liner movement is the root cause for the majority of leaks. The first revised gasket changed the nature of where the leak appeared, but didn't solve it. The new gasket, while not fixing the liner issue, at least does a better job of maintaining an oil-tight seal while allowing the liner / cylinder mismatch to occur to a degree.

Steel and aluminum expand a different rates when heated, so differing amounts of movement for the steel linner and aluminum cylinder is inevitable. Hopefully they'll figure out how to keep the liner tops flush with the cylinder castings so these leaks won't be a problem any more on the 110's.

They seem to have a handle on it for the other models, just not the 110's. A new cylinder design for the 110's is the obvious answer, but they'll keep going with new gaskets until it's proven that they can't solve, or hide, it with gaskets.

pokerpig

• CVO1: 2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
« Reply #65 on: July 27, 2008, 04:35:24 PM »

That's a great question. Don't know the answer. I'm pretty confident that the liner movement is the root cause for the majority of leaks. The first revised gasket changed the nature of where the leak appeared, but didn't solve it. The new gasket, while not fixing the liner issue, at least does a better job of maintaining an oil-tight seal while allowing the liner / cylinder mismatch to occur to a degree.

Steel and aluminum expand a different rates when heated, so differing amounts of movement for the steel linner and aluminum cylinder is inevitable. Hopefully they'll figure out how to keep the liner tops flush with the cylinder castings so these leaks won't be a problem any more on the 110's.

They seem to have a handle on it for the other models, just not the 110's. A new cylinder design for the 110's is the obvious answer, but they'll keep going with new gaskets until it's proven that they can't solve, or hide, it with gaskets.

I'm not so confident. I have spoke to my dealer and another dealer in the area - both told me that the majority of gasket replacements they have done so far didn't require new cylinders, especially more recently.

My dealer has told me that if when they take off my heads doing the "product enhancement" and find bad cylinders, then they will replace them under warranty. He also told me "if it hasn't shifted by now it isn't going to."

It would be interesting to do a survey after some of the members here have their bikes in for "product enhancement" to find out how many ended up bad cylinders.

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #66 on: July 27, 2008, 04:50:16 PM »

I'm not so confident. I have spoke to my dealer and another dealer in the area - both told me that the majority of gasket replacements they have done so far didn't require new cylinders, especially more recently.

My dealer has told me that if when they take off my heads doing the "product enhancement" and find bad cylinders, then they will replace them under warranty. He also told me "if it hasn't shifted by now it isn't going to."

It would be interesting to do a survey after some of the members here have their bikes in for "product enhancement" to find out how many ended up bad cylinders.

Originally, mechanics were replacing cylinders if any lip could be felt at the liner. Now, Harley has once again increased the allowable spec to 0.004" of allowable movement, just below the threshhold that the gasket will contain.

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #67 on: July 27, 2008, 05:27:40 PM »

I've had my cylinders replaced on the first go around. On the subsequent head gasket replacements, the dealer has said that the cylinders looked good. I will wait until after MV08 to have the "PIC" done as to add more miles and not interfere with the riding season.

Lennyiti

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FXDSE2
    • CVO2: 2011 FLSTSE2
« Reply #68 on: July 28, 2008, 08:44:07 AM »

Was at my dealer Saturday and they told me HD was going to replace the heads on all 110s. Told me I would be getting a letter in a few weeks. Anyone else heard this?

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #69 on: July 28, 2008, 05:28:18 PM »

Was at my dealer Saturday and they told me HD was going to replace the heads on all 110s. Told me I would be getting a letter in a few weeks. Anyone else heard this?

Yes. Read the letter attached to reply #8 in this thread (page 1).

hard10

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

« Reply #70 on: July 28, 2008, 06:32:34 PM »

Yes. Read the letter attached to reply #8 in this thread (page 1).

Before anyone asks, I looked up the original P/N's for the heads: Front Cylinder Head 17253-07, Rear Cylinder Rear 17257-07.

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #71 on: July 28, 2008, 06:34:43 PM »

My fear is that when the open up the motor, they notice the cylinder has slipped.  Now a thousand people are having their motor's opened up in the same 4-6 weeks.  What do you think the odds are of waiting 2-3 years for cylinders?  Before this campaign, most waited 2-4 weeks for cylinders.  It won't be pretty.  I'm not letting them touch it without spare cylinders sitting next to my bike. 
Any day on the bike is a good day.

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

« Reply #72 on: July 28, 2008, 06:36:08 PM »

Before anyone asks, I looked up the original P/N's for the heads: Front Cylinder Head 17253-07, Rear Cylinder Rear 17257-07.

Chief, is that for an assembled head?

hard10

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

« Reply #73 on: July 28, 2008, 06:39:56 PM »

Chief, is that for an assembled head?

Yes, that # includes VALVE GUIDE, VALVE SEAL, & SEAT (black)

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

« Reply #74 on: July 28, 2008, 06:50:04 PM »

thanks
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9  All

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 25 queries.