Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: 2009 Test Ride  (Read 4203 times)

steve1911

2009 Test Ride
« on: July 28, 2008, 02:35:17 PM »

I just test drove a 2009 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic at Bumpus Harley Davidson in Memphis.  They have all of the 2009 bikes there this week for demo rides.  (I thought no one saw these until Sturgis?  go figure.)  Anyway, the line-up looks pretty good for 2009.  I would have to say the highlight is the new Screamin' Eagle FatBob.  Awesome.  But I digress...   I signed up for the test ride and was soon astride the shiny new SE Ultra.  It started right up and we headed out.  Of course being lead on this type of ride doesn't allow you to wring it out, but I was able to turn the throttle a couple times.  Bottom line:  underwhelmed.  It doesn't seem to have much torque for a 110.  In fact, immediately after riding this I hopped on my buddy's 2008 Ultra, and it felt a bit stronger.  Another point of interest was the noise the air intake made.  It was unlike any other Harley I have ever ridden, and basically it sounded constricted - perhaps this is one of the primary culprits robbing this engine's power.

Harley also advertises the 2009 Touring bikes as having an all new frame.  Granted I didn't ride this bike very long, but nothing stood out.  Maybe if I were in a fairly hard turn at 75 mph?

I don't want to sound too negative - it was nicely appointed and rode smoothly, it just didn't feel like it had much power.

Eschew obfuscation.

rubaga

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2010 SESG
    • CVO2: 08 SERK Anniversary
Re: 2009 Test Ride
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 05:03:55 PM »

The same point of not enough power comes from other ride reports. Seems like a common theme.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 05:15:46 PM »

I was told the main purpose of the new frame design was/is to attract more of the riding public.  I didn't ask if that implied the women or the short guys. Not sure if it's lower in the seat or narrower or both......or just plain propoganda. :nixweiss:

Did they have the CVO Road Glide there?  That would definately be my first choice for a demo ride.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 06:38:13 PM »

Did you happen to notice where and how many motor mounts there were?  I was hoping for some redesign in this area.

Thanks
Any day on the bike is a good day.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 08:50:44 PM »

Did you happen to notice where and how many motor mounts there were?  I was hoping for some redesign in this area.

Thanks

Only change is that there are two mounts in the front, one at each downtube.  When combined with the two at the rear (same as earlier models), you now have a four mount system versus the old 3 mounts.  If that and the actual frame and swingarm changes will finally cure the handling woes of the Touring models remains to be determined.  The front end rake stayed the same, and the trail increased slightly.  Since I personally believe this front end geometry is partially to blame for the handling ills, I'm rather disappointed they didn't take the opportunity to fix the entire enchilada.  Only time and miles will tell if this is the big improvement we've been waiting for.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Gunnerp245

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 07:07:06 PM »

Found this last night.

Gunner...

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 07:23:50 PM »

Found this last night.

Gunner...

Excellent! Great info. Lotta small changes here. Smaller rear pulley. Another thou of crank runout allowed. O-ring for leaky center case bolt. Temp Mgmt system is RIDER Controlled. RB clearancing. But there's nothing wrong with the '07's or '08's. There' all supposed to do the things that we finally changed in '09! ::) ;)

Thanks man! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

bigdave110

• Senior CVO Member
  • I can't take it with me N I ain't givin it to you!
    • PA

• CVO1: 2008,11,12,13 FLHTCUSE (all sold)
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO street glide(sold) 2017 CVO Street Glide(sold)
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO street glide (Black)
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 08:13:09 PM »

I was told the main purpose of the new frame design was/is to attract more of the riding public.  I didn't ask if that implied the women or the short guys. Not sure if it's lower in the seat or narrower or both......or just plain propoganda. :nixweiss:

Did they have the CVO Road Glide there?  That would definately be my first choice for a demo ride.
My friend Chris has a friend at York.
He was laughing when he told my friend this one.
He stated that some of the guys think its funny that we all think the frame was redesigned for handling.  :oops:
From what Chris tells me the redesign was for 3 main reasons, first to help with assembly line production, things will be done faster now with the need for less people.
(something to do with where and how they mate the trans and motor.)
Second, to accommodate the trike mods.
3rd For the larger tire/rim.
He tells me that if it handles better thats fine, but not why the frame was redesigned. :'(
Thought that was neat, MOCO makes changes to speed up production and they sell it as better bike. >:(
Just wanted to share that bit of info with every one, it actually pissed me off a bit.
Now aint that some chit

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 08:25:50 PM »

Found this last night.

Gunner...

Gunner

That info was posted on the 26th.

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=25536.0

:2vrolijk_21:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

HogDude

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: Gone-05 SEEG2(never should have let her go)
    • CVO2: 2013 CVO Road King
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 08:29:03 PM »

He stated that some of the guys think its funny that we all think the frame was redesigned for handling.  :oops:
From what Chris tells me the redesign was for 3 main reasons, first to help with assembly line production, things will be done faster now with the need for less people.
He tells me that if it handles better thats fine, but not why the frame was redesigned. :'(
Thought that was neat, MOCO makes changes to speed up production and they sell it as better bike. >:(
Just wanted to share that bit of info with every one, it actually pissed me off a bit.
Now aint that some chit

Ye ole Spin Doctors at work  ???

2PAK

• Full CVO Member
  • I'm not young enough to know everything.
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2008, 09:21:38 PM »

I thought the frame was beefed up to haul some of the 200 lbs wives guys are sporting around these days... :bananarock:

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2008, 09:51:06 PM »

Now aint that some chit

Big difference is that the new frame utilizes cast pieces for all the stuff that used to be bent tubing or welded up gusset plates.  If you look at the new one, all the actual tubing is perfectly straight (and it seems to be a little beefier as well).  The end result should be a frame that is easier to assemble, is stiffer, and has less variability.  Making the rear section a bolt-on piece was probably done to more easily accomodate the trike version.  None of this is new technology btw, other folks have been doing this for ages.

Improving efficiencies and reducing costs are normal goals in all manufacturing enterprises, so I can't fault H-D for doing things that make good business sense as long as they do not negatively impact quality or reliability.  I think we have seen some of the negative results of their part sourcing ideas in the past few years, and I've been one of the more vocal critics.  But in this case, from what I've seen so far I'm betting this new frame and swingarm will turn out to be a significant improvement over the 1979 design we've been riding.  Will it fix all the handling evils?  Can't tell yet, and I kind of doubt it, but even if it only improves things 50% it beats the hell out of what we've had.

Jerry
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 07:47:49 PM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

RioGlide

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 SE Road King - sold
    • CVO2: 07 VRSCDX - Night Rod Special - sold
    • CVO3: 11 FLRTUSE - Rio Red
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2008, 10:12:49 PM »

Big difference is that the new frame utilizes cast pieces for all the stuff that used to be bent tubing or welded up gusset plates.  If you look at the new one, all the actual tubing is perfectly straight (and it seems to be a little beefier as well).  The end result should be a frame that is easier to assemble, is stiffer, and has less variability.  Making the rear section a bolt-on piece was probably done to more easily accomodate the trike version.  None of this is new technology btw, other folks have been doing this for ages and I believe if you look at a V-Rod you will see some of the same things as well.

Jerry

Obviously not the first time V-rod experience trickles over to the touring models.  Hopefully not the last.  Zero defects on my DX thus far, the thing's just stellar.

GM used to trickle technology from the Vette to Cadillacs, then onto the rest of the lineup.  Not sure if that's the best model to duplicate, but in HD's case when you see Brembo's make the same kind of migration, it kinda makes you wonder what's next. Oh we know. Water cooling. Worst kept secret at the MoCo ever.  But if the experience of the V-rod means they get it right, we're all gonna be happy based on my experience thus far.

Lzyboy

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: Black and Gray 08
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2008, 11:21:27 PM »

Everyone clearly has excellent points,
Does anyone know why they picked the bikes they did for 09. For example, springer (again), and ultra classic. Just curious.....
Life time member VFW 7450 San Diego! Love your freedom, Thank a Vet!

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2008, 12:15:38 AM »

Everyone clearly has excellent points,
Does anyone know why they picked the bikes they did for 09. For example, springer (again), and ultra classic. Just curious.....

They are the ones that sell.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.286 seconds with 24 queries.