Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Oil Mist/Puking Fix  (Read 8477 times)

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
Re: Oil Mist/Puking Fix
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2008, 03:51:02 PM »

Howie, get pipes with O2 sensor bungs and pipe it into there, then you can spray for mosquitoes!

Craig

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2008, 04:55:12 PM »

Howie, get pipes with O2 sensor bungs and pipe it into there, then you can spray for mosquitoes!

Craig
Sounds like something the 'factory' might do  :o  har!  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Classic Beast

• Elite CVO Member
    • BC

• Bob McImages
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2008, 12:03:58 PM »

Very nice solution. Might even reconsider repiping mine, which now pukes on the ground. Messes up my rear wheel pretty good. Nice install! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)

Hoist I followed your well documented build and must say it was impressive with the time you spent reporting all the details, much better than the tests you read in many magazines lots of good tips and things to be learned. I also had a puking problem from my S&S 110" even after a rebuild, The solution that worked for me is to run the breather lines from the heads straight up under the tank to a T then run the hose back into the air cleaner backing plate. Inside the hoses going up I put the plastic baffles that were used on the 94 EVO you can also see them in the custom chrome catalog. You have to cut these in half as they are slightly too long. I can now even fill the oil tank to the bottom of the filler (over full) as a test and it doesn't puke even with long +100 mph trips.

Beast
2012 Road glide ultra 103
DD7 Baker, S&S 570, Fulsac DX, 2"
SE CNC heads 58mm throttle body
95 FLSTN
127" Ultima
DD6 Baker
3 X PM 6 piston calipers
S&S Clutch
Lindal Ceramic discs
RB Black Hole pipe
Thunderstar mags
6 gal tanks
Custom Chrome front end
Rear chain drive
150WW Avon Venom rear tire
2009 Cadillac CTS-V

SCRM-R

• Elite CVO Member
  • It's Only $Money$...And I Can Make Some More!!
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2008, 12:39:08 PM »

...The solution that worked for me is to run the breather lines from the heads straight up under the tank to a T then run the hose back into the air cleaner backing plate. Inside the hoses going up I put the plastic baffles that were used on the 94 EVO you can also see them in the custom chrome catalog. You have to cut these in half as they are slightly too long. I can now even fill the oil tank to the bottom of the filler (over full) as a test and it doesn't puke even with long +100 mph trips.

Beast
I've seen this fix before, and it does work.  The problem for me with that fix is that your intake is sucking the oil/vapor mix back into the combustion chamber, where it is burned along with the gasoline, potentially causing excessive carbon build-up in the heads and on top of the valves.  That's what mine did before the catch can install.  On mine, I just have a problem with knowingly "injecting" oil and vapor into the combustion chamber.  So far, this solution is working well for me...
2003 Screamin' Eagle Road King with Custom "Real Fire" Paint Scheme
Zipper's 117" Kit, Including:
   H-D Race Tuner
   Zippers 54MM Throttle Body
   RedShift 647 Cams

Diamond Cut Cylinders & Heads
Custom Engraved Front Lower Legs, Primary Inspection Cover & Saddlebag Latch Covers

Classic Beast

• Elite CVO Member
    • BC

• Bob McImages
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2008, 12:59:36 PM »

The vent hose can also go to the ground instead of the backing plate with the baffles and the lines going up you get very little mist so no need of a catch can to dump. This only works if you don't have other problems like blow by or the return of the oil pump not keeping up. I had a problem on a customers engine where the 2 hole crank pin was replaced by a 3 hole too much oil to the bottom end once the S&S high volume pump was installed this problem was fixed. On the EVO's it happens a lot when you increase the Cu inches but don't enlarge the timed breather hole and many other causes bottom line is the harley motor is like an air compressor with both pistons going down at the same time and a lot of air with no place to go in the crankcase. Maybe the solution would be to run a vacuum pump like they do with the AA fuel dragsters. My 127 has no issues ever with oil puking.
95 FLSTN
127" Ultima
DD6 Baker
3 X PM 6 piston calipers
S&S Clutch
Lindal Ceramic discs
RB Black Hole pipe
Thunderstar mags
6 gal tanks
Custom Chrome front end
Rear chain drive
2009 Cadillac CTS-V

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2008, 01:53:50 PM »

Mine dumps to the ground, just like the old days. Too bad I couldn't get it to breathe directly from the crankcase as it should though! ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

stekat

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2008, 04:20:34 PM »

You haven't talked about the connection of the two head breathers to the collection can.  Is that just up to the individual and his situation?

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2008, 04:25:37 PM »

You haven't talked about the connection of the two head breathers to the collection can.  Is that just up to the individual and his situation?

The world is my collection can!!! :o ;D ;D ;D

Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2008, 04:33:06 PM »

The world is my collection can!!! :o ;D ;D ;D

Hoist! 8)
FTW?  :nixweiss:  har!  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Classic Beast

• Elite CVO Member
    • BC

• Bob McImages
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2008, 04:41:21 PM »

I just run each head breather line separatly straight up under the fuel tank with the plastic baffles inside then have a plastic T up under the tank and you can run the hose from the T anywhere you like but with the baffles and the vertical lines there is less mist to deal with. A head breather works much better than the old crankcase breather as quite often if you left the bike for a while the check ball in the oil pump wouldn't seal properly the oil tank would fill the bottom end and you had a nice puddle from the breather under the bike, it's amazing how much a cup of oil will spread.
95 FLSTN
127" Ultima
DD6 Baker
3 X PM 6 piston calipers
S&S Clutch
Lindal Ceramic discs
RB Black Hole pipe
Thunderstar mags
6 gal tanks
Custom Chrome front end
Rear chain drive
2009 Cadillac CTS-V

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2008, 05:28:21 PM »

I just run each head breather line separatly straight up under the fuel tank with the plastic baffles inside then have a plastic T up under the tank and you can run the hose from the T anywhere you like but with the baffles and the vertical lines there is less mist to deal with. A head breather works much better than the old crankcase breather as quite often if you left the bike for a while the check ball in the oil pump wouldn't seal properly the oil tank would fill the bottom end and you had a nice puddle from the breather under the bike, it's amazing how much a cup of oil will spread.

HeHe! Many a puddle, many a springtime! ;D ;D ;D

But you can get a radiator hose size breather out of the case for them 13:1 CR motors! ;)

Hoist! 8)

Hoist! 8)

Classic Beast

• Elite CVO Member
    • BC

• Bob McImages
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2008, 01:15:52 AM »

Helps keep the dust down on the gravel roads
95 FLSTN
127" Ultima
DD6 Baker
3 X PM 6 piston calipers
S&S Clutch
Lindal Ceramic discs
RB Black Hole pipe
Thunderstar mags
6 gal tanks
Custom Chrome front end
Rear chain drive
2009 Cadillac CTS-V

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2008, 02:17:46 AM »

Hoist I followed your well documented build and must say it was impressive with the time you spent reporting all the details, much better than the tests you read in many magazines lots of good tips and things to be learned. I also had a puking problem from my S&S 110" even after a rebuild, The solution that worked for me is to run the breather lines from the heads straight up under the tank to a T then run the hose back into the air cleaner backing plate. Inside the hoses going up I put the plastic baffles that were used on the 94 EVO you can also see them in the custom chrome catalog. You have to cut these in half as they are slightly too long. I can now even fill the oil tank to the bottom of the filler (over full) as a test and it doesn't puke even with long +100 mph trips.

Beast

Classic,

What combo did you use to arrive at an S&S 110" motor?
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Classic Beast

• Elite CVO Member
    • BC

• Bob McImages
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2008, 03:14:31 AM »

Special edition motor see attached
95 FLSTN
127" Ultima
DD6 Baker
3 X PM 6 piston calipers
S&S Clutch
Lindal Ceramic discs
RB Black Hole pipe
Thunderstar mags
6 gal tanks
Custom Chrome front end
Rear chain drive
2009 Cadillac CTS-V

Classic Beast

• Elite CVO Member
    • BC

• Bob McImages
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2008, 12:54:05 PM »

In service
95 FLSTN
127" Ultima
DD6 Baker
3 X PM 6 piston calipers
S&S Clutch
Lindal Ceramic discs
RB Black Hole pipe
Thunderstar mags
6 gal tanks
Custom Chrome front end
Rear chain drive
2009 Cadillac CTS-V
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 20 queries.