Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: It's happened, '08 SERK and chrome is blistering on the rear wheel......  (Read 1153 times)

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member

I just cleaned my SERK4 this afternoon and while chrome polishing the rear wheel, I noticed little black spots with a stain ring around them.  The black dots are about 1/16" in diameter and the rings look like tarnish and are about 1/8" in diameter around the black spots.

This is happening right in the corner of the flat part of the wheel going into the center web surface.  Along with the little black spots, which appear to be where the chrome has flacked off and then aluminum has tarnished, there are lots of little bubbles in the chrome.  There are no big flacks like I've read about from years past.

Has anyone else discovered this yet?

I'm sure they'll say that it's rock chips, but I have no chips or black spots on the larger flat surface of the wheel which would be the more proned to being hit by rocks kicked up from the front wheel.

This may get moved, but at least you all will be able to read it someplace.

I'm not happy about this chipping one bit.  The front wheel looks great and there's no chips or bubbles at all.  I normally keep my bikes very clean and I doubt that would be a contributing factor anyway.

The SERK is all loaded and tied down waiting to leave for Sturgis on Wednesday morning.  We're staying and driving home on the 15th so we'll get lots of riding in AFTER the rally and we'll do Mt. Rushmore and Rushmore caves after the rally.  We're staying in Keystone which is a very pretty place.  Lucky for me there's only dial up at the hotel and the cell phones don't work there.  So one call every morning to work on the Watts line and then it's off to see the Wizard, so to speak.  I've got a buddy with an '03 SE Deuce and we do this every other year.  Last time out there I had the '76 FLH shovelhead and boy am I looking forward to cruising the mountains with the new SERK.  With well over twice the rear wheel hp of the FLH I'm sure I'll have a great time this year.

I got a report back from friends that called my buddy and they both said that the police are cracking down big time on DUI's and not stopping completely at stop signs, little stuff.  One them got a DUI leaving Interior after a few beers and they found he had a pain pill not in the correct container and he was arrested for a felony.  So if you have perscription drugs, keep them in the bottles with the name and perscription clearly shown.  This looks like it's going to be a very tight ship this year.

>:(  >:(  >:(  >:(
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 20 queries.