Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: bought an 09 Springer today  (Read 8460 times)

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 120r motor Black Diamond/Crimson Tag Graphics
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Riptide Blue/Titanium Dust
bought an 09 Springer today
« on: August 11, 2008, 08:06:20 PM »

I have an 08 black springer. I brought it in to the dealer today to have my 16 inch Wild 1 Chubby springer bars powder coated in black gloss installed. All the cables arrived too. I broused the showroom floor and there was an 09 SE black springer unspoken for. It's the one model in the 09 lineup I wish I had. I ended up cutting a deal to buy it and I'm putting the 16 inch bars on it instead of my 08. The 09 will be ready to pick up in two days.

One negative I learned about the 09 is you can't get an aftermarket complete exhaust. I wanted to put Rinehart cross backs on the new bike like my 08 but when we put the bikes side by side, it was clear the oil lines stick out too far on the new 09 horsehoe oil tank. The parts department also told me no complete exhaust system is yet available. There are two slip ons that will work, a set by Rush and another by Vance and Hines. I'm a real Rinehart fan but I'll have to wait until probably early 09 until anything is available. So I decided to put on a set of Rush slip ons with 2.25 inch baffles for now.

I ordered a detachable sissy bar and backrest for the new bike but because of the wider tire, the sissy bar is a new item and will not be available until mid September but they'll install the docking hardware and signal relocation kit in the meantime. I also ordered the new Sundowner deep bucket seat made exclusively for the 09 FXSTSSE3 model with Buffalo leather inlay like the original seat (part no. 52271-09). I hope my butt can hold out until it is available in mid September. One other negative. Harley didn't put a tach on the 09 so I had to order one from the 08 parts catalogue. I don't know why Harley would do this especially after a hefty price increase from the 08 model and this is a high performance engine and bike. All the other SE models have one. I will post some pictures when I pick it up in a few days.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 10:51:48 AM by rheiner »

planenut

• 1K CVO Member
  • life is short enjoy the ride
    • NJ

• CVO1: 2022 Road glide Limited Wicked orange Pearl and Blackhole
    • CVO2: 18 115 cvo limited anniversary #1068(sold)
    • CVO3: 15 cvo Limited Maroon and silver (sold)
Re: bought an 09 Springer today
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 09:00:09 PM »

congrats,   :2vrolijk_21:

on the new ride,my secu is comming next month,but one thing is

:worthless:

congrats again and enjoy

jon
Fullsac headpipe TAb Performance 4.5 slash 2.5 baffles
SERT program   horsepower hd cam
freedom shields 13 in
Custom Dynamics full lighting Ft and rear
Soundz 6 speaker set up 1k amp
Legends Axeo ft and Revo A in rear

elky72ss454

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 09:34:42 PM »

Cool..I would be interested in seeing pics.   :2vrolijk_21:

steveg56

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 StreetGlide
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2008, 06:43:59 AM »

You my friend are a lucky man. I saw that color combo in my local harley dealer and it is amazing to say the least. I have an O7 right now and have been eyeballing the new 09's myself.  Can I ask what they gave you for trade in on your bike?  How much you got the 09 for? 

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2008, 10:18:45 AM »

I didn't trade in my 08. Maybe I'll try to sell it. It only has 1,600 miles on it and I haven't had it over 3,500 rpm yet. I wanted to break it in slow. I have edited the rest of this reply. I did get a very good deal on the 09. This is the third bike I have bought from this dealer this year. I am sure if I would have bought five bikes prior to this SE Springer I would have gotten even a better deal and at the same time, if this was my first, I would have paid full MSRP, bike prep, document prep, freight, etc. The deal anyone gets on their bike is unique to their particular situation and the relationship they have with the dealer, if any. But I will say my dealer treats me very well with service needs and any issue that has ever come up on any bike I've bought from them, so to that extent, I do feel I have a good dealer to work with.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 09:57:10 PM by rheiner »

ice6900

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: fxstsse 07
    • CVO2: (non cvo) fxdl customised
    • CVO3: (custom)arlen ness 1914 flat trak replica
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 12:14:51 PM »

wow a guy who is happy with his stealer, thats a very rare scenario, congrats on ur new ride, i`ve not scene the 09s yet but i`m gonna keep my 07 cus of the 21"

SilverDawg

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2008, 07:18:42 PM »

What is the name of that dealer?  Treatment like that deserves to be shared.
2008 FLHTCU Candy Red Sunglo -ABS/Security/SERT/V&H ovals
2008 FXCWC - Pacific Blue Pearl Deluxe-SOLD

The poster formally known as Cobaltman...

"As I grow older, I pay less attention to what men say.  I just watch what they do." - Andrew Carnegie

StrahDawg

• 2007 Screamin' Eagle Springer
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FXSTSSE
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2008, 10:57:49 AM »

Congrats on the new 09. I look forward to seeing some pics.

2007 Screamin' Eagle Springer
Screamin Eagle Race Tuner
Rinehart 2 into 1 exhaust
S&S Single Bore Tuned Intake
Kuryakin Lizard Lights
A Few Chrome Do-Dad's Here & There!

SmokeEm

• Junior CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2014 FXSBSE - Sold
    • CVO2: 2017 FXSE (CVO Pro-Street Breakout)
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2008, 10:35:05 PM »

rheiner, I don't think you looked over the 2009 FXSTSSE3 you say you bought very well because it does have a tachometer. It's the speedo/tach combo like the ones Thunder Mountain Custom Cycles use on their bikes. As for as aftermarket exhaust you may want to find someone who has a Rocker or Rocker C that has aftermarket pipes and see if they will fit. I hope none of you are paying over MSRP because you can buy any H-D for less than MSRP and only expect to pay MSRP for the SE models.
Psalm 28:7 The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him.
2017 CVO Pro-Street Breakout (FXSE) - White Gold Pearl/Starfire Black
(SOLD) 2014 CVO Breakout - Hard Candy Sedona Sand and Blaze Orange with Abyss Black Graphics
Bassani Pro-Street Turn Outs
S.E. Pro Super Tuner

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2008, 11:49:11 PM »

rheiner, I don't think you looked over the 2009 FXSTSSE3 you say you bought very well because it does have a tachometer. It's the speedo/tach combo like the ones Thunder Mountain Custom Cycles use on their bikes.

Smokem, what?
here are a few images.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 09:17:34 AM by rheiner »

Air-Cooled

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2008, 02:18:26 AM »

Smokem, are you ready to remove foot from mouth?   ;D ;D ;D

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2008, 08:42:37 AM »

I've seen that bike at the dealer in St. Paul and it is one wicked looking ride! Wanna get the same bike in Candy Cobalt for my wife because her name is Kandy and she raises Springer Spaniels (and she rides her own bike). Enjoy the ride!

irishfastback

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2008, 02:05:14 PM »

I just bought an 08 and love it...what do you like better about the 09?  The fatter rear tire or just everything about it???

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2008, 03:08:26 PM »

I wrote the following comparing the two bikes in a different thread on this site:
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=26198.0

Sure, I'm happy to rate both bikes based on my subjective opinion and my bias for Harleys and my long ownership history of HD motorcycles going back 27 years. Taking away the add ons I made to both and going back to pure stock to compare apples to apples, I'd rate the 2008 FXSTSSE2 a 9.75 and the 2009 FXSTSSE3 a 10. They are both outstanding bikes and I have no complaints with either, only praise. I'd love to see a company in the world do it better. They both have superb performance and are artistically pleasing. Even though HD redesigned the front brake on the 09 to a 4 piston, as I said in an earlier post, I don't notice any additional braking power on the 09 vs. 08. Maybe HD was seeking redundancy and safety that the brake wouldn't fail as a reason to have 4 pistons. I understand there are technical limitations on what HD can do with the front brake on a Springer. If you want high performance brakes with ABS over the nostalgia and beautiful look of a springer, you'll need to look for a different bike--one that everyone else owns. When I ride, I'm always looking at the springs bouncing over bumps and just the look of them from all angles.

Having rode both bikes, the 08 and 09, short and long trips, the stock seat on the 09 is a nice improvement. I think because of the wider frame on the 09, the seat was designed differently but I'm not sure how. I took a measuring tape to the two seats and the stock seat on the 09 is only about 3/8 inch wider and about 1 1/2 inches shorter than the 08 from what I can tell. The 09 is much more comfortable on longer rides. However, if you have a passenger for more than a few miles, with almost zero padding, you'll want to have a spare seat. I ordered one made for the 09 Springer from HD that matches the inlay leather and design of the stock saddle so I can pop it on if I have a passenger.

I also like the 240 mm rear tire and much wider fender on the 09 versus the 200 mm on the 08. It gives it a higher performace look and feel to compliment the 110 CI engine and heavy breather that few HD bikes have. The extra chrome on the 09 swingarm and oil tank fills in the rear with a complete finished look so now with the 09, from wheel to wheel, you have show bike allure.

Now that I have rode the 09 without a tach for a few weeks, I realize I don't miss it that much, even though I have one ordered for it. Owning the 08, I can tell what rpm I am running at just by the gear/speed I am at. On the plus side of not having a tach, the front headlight shows itself nicely with the color and paint that matches the tank and fender. Take a look at my first picture above and you'll see what I mean. With no tach it also gives the handlebars a nice uninterrupted flow from grip to grip. So now I don't know if I even want to put it on when it gets here.

I personally think the paint jobs from HD on the 09 models, irrespective of color itself, is improved with a nice 3D look (you have to see it in person) with some flair and character that the 08 does not have.

If a person is honestly objective, you'd have to be hardpressed and stubborn to deny that the 09 has some nice improvements in style and appeal over the 08. Performance wise they are about equal.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 03:11:52 PM by rheiner »

irishfastback

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2008, 03:18:37 PM »

Very well put and written.

Thank you and much appreciated...  Since we are talking about the bike...ever seen one with street slammers on it?
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.359 seconds with 20 queries.