Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: bought an 09 Springer today  (Read 8461 times)

SmokeEm

• Junior CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2014 FXSBSE - Sold
    • CVO2: 2017 FXSE (CVO Pro-Street Breakout)
Re: bought an 09 Springer today
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2008, 12:03:00 AM »

The FXSTSSE3 I saw at my local dealership had the speedo/tach combo on it from the factory so I can't explain why yours doesn't, we'll see if the one I get has it in Nov./Dec. The main reason I commented was to help you with the aftermarket exhaust, after looking over the one I saw, I think something for a FXCW or FXCWC will work on the bike because I believe they have alot in common frame wise. Just trying to help. As for the screen name, it's the name of my boat... the picture will help. Enjoy your new HOT ROD rheiner.  8)
Psalm 28:7 The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him.
2017 CVO Pro-Street Breakout (FXSE) - White Gold Pearl/Starfire Black
(SOLD) 2014 CVO Breakout - Hard Candy Sedona Sand and Blaze Orange with Abyss Black Graphics
Bassani Pro-Street Turn Outs
S.E. Pro Super Tuner

Spawn

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2008, 11:49:39 PM »

I just put my 09 softail springer on order/hold and so far you have given me some info I did not know. I was wondering and know this might be a pain but most of the option you have either ordered or have gotten I would also like to do to mine. Could I get the part numbers for the parts you have put on so I do not have to rely on a Harley parts employee to get the right part or to even make an effort to find me a part that I am looking for. The better two up seat. Pipes. I am looking to put ape hanger bars on it. Maybe the same size my 06 wide glide has on it. Do you know if there is a forward turn signal relocation kit? Question. When I changed the pipes on my bike with the EFI I also needed to change/add a computer that was dyno'd to match the pipes and stage one. If you installed the slip ons nothing was required for the airflow change? What if you change the pipes to say drag pipes? Why did you choose the slip ons you installed? I like it load so the muffled down pipes on my 06 were way to baffled and once I installed the vance and hines the performance was dramatic. Why do you like the pipes you do? Hope you answer most of this I know its alot but It took forever to research all the parts on my 06 and this time I would like to shorten that time. Thanks. Spawn.

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 120r motor Black Diamond/Crimson Tag Graphics
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Riptide Blue/Titanium Dust
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2008, 12:45:18 PM »

I just put my 09 softail springer on order/hold and so far you have given me some info I did not know. I was wondering and know this might be a pain but most of the option you have either ordered or have gotten I would also like to do to mine. Could I get the part numbers for the parts you have put on so I do not have to rely on a Harley parts employee to get the right part or to even make an effort to find me a part that I am looking for. The better two up seat. Pipes. I am looking to put ape hanger bars on it. Maybe the same size my 06 wide glide has on it. Do you know if there is a forward turn signal relocation kit? Question. When I changed the pipes on my bike with the EFI I also needed to change/add a computer that was dyno'd to match the pipes and stage one. If you installed the slip ons nothing was required for the airflow change? What if you change the pipes to say drag pipes? Why did you choose the slip ons you installed? I like it load so the muffled down pipes on my 06 were way to baffled and once I installed the vance and hines the performance was dramatic. Why do you like the pipes you do? Hope you answer most of this I know its alot but It took forever to research all the parts on my 06 and this time I would like to shorten that time. Thanks. Spawn.

The reason I went with Rush slip ons is because to my knowledge, there are few to no options of drag pipes made for the 09 Springer yet and Rush is what my dealer had in stock. The only thing that works to my knowledge is V&H 2 into 1 and possibly their Big Radius made for the Rocker, but the Rocker has a smaller engine than the Springer. They might fit but don't know if they are really tuned for the Springer. If you do get slip ons, make sure you get the 2.25 inch baffles. I originally had the 2 inch baffles and switched to 2.25 inch. The sound was much better.

As far as tuning the 09, I think any modification, even slip ons, and for that fact, even after you buy the bike new with no mods, it's worth optimizing the performance but only if it makes sense economically. That's why I bought the new software programs, interface and cables made by TTS. In short, you hook the interface and cables up to your bike and collect data with a laptop while you ride your bike through various MAP and rpm configurations. The software collects the data and then you use another program to integrate the base file for your bike you previously flashed into the ECM with the collected data file to create a new file you flash into the ECM again. Each time you run a data collection file and create a new refined file you perfect your VE tables for front and rear cylinders until it's optimal (usually about 3 runs of data collection) for your particular bike. It's basically what a dyno tune does. The writer of the TTS program formerly did this for the MoCo until HD decided it could do it. If you want more information on this subject here is a link. http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=23552.0 The nice thing about this TTS program is you can do unlimited tunes on your bike as you modify pipes, air cleaners, cams, etc. It isn't as complicated as it sounds if you read the help files carefully, and ask questions. I bought mine from Doc Weaver and he answered his phone and answered my questions everytime I called until I understood everything. cvoharley members get a 10% discount from him.

Once a drag pipe comes out by Rinehart that I like that will fit my 09 springer, I'll install them and get rid of the factory cross flow system and then re-tune my bike at no extra charge. Let me mention something else about pipes. I have the Rinehart cross backs on my 08 springer and I can say without any doubt, that the torque between 2,500 and 3,500 rpm on my 08 springer with the Rineharts is clearly superior to my 09 springer with only Rush slip ons. When I open up the throttle, I have to hold those handlebars tight to keep the bike from accelerating without me on it between 2,500 and 3,500 rpm, plus the sound is way better in my opinion. Rinehart claims on their web site that the cross backs significantly increase torque and it's true. I think the cross backs are the only drag pipe Rinehart makes with 2.25 inch baffles for engines bigger than 96 CI.

Finally Spawn, why do you want the part numbers from me if you've put the bike order on hold?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 01:45:24 PM by rheiner »

Spawn

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2008, 01:42:41 PM »

Maybe misunderstood. I was looking for the part numbers for the changed seat an slip ons. I also need a sissy bar so the wife stays on too. But as far as the bike it will be delivered around the first of Nov. Las Vegas Harley. You had some good ideas and searching for parts sux. Seems to be a lot of parts already. Is this because different years and models fit this bike? My 06 wide glide had to be mostly for that year and model. I just know that this bike will need very little added. It comes that way and the limited to 2500 is a bonus. Maybe you will know this. Is the bike limited to 2500 total or 2500 per paint scheme? Spawn.

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2008, 02:00:55 PM »

Maybe misunderstood. I was looking for the part numbers for the changed seat an slip ons. I also need a sissy bar so the wife stays on too. But as far as the bike it will be delivered around the first of Nov. Las Vegas Harley. You had some good ideas and searching for parts sux. Seems to be a lot of parts already. Is this because different years and models fit this bike? My 06 wide glide had to be mostly for that year and model. I just know that this bike will need very little added. It comes that way and the limited to 2500 is a bonus. Maybe you will know this. Is the bike limited to 2500 total or 2500 per paint scheme? Spawn.

Ok, I understand now, I thought you said you put the bike on hold. I don't have a part no. for the slip ons. You just need to get them that fit the softails with 2.25 baffles and decide on the end cut, either straight, down or side. I chose side cut. You will definitely need a better seat for the passenger on your 09. Although I will say the rider portion of the stock seat on the 09 is like a sofa compared to sitting on concrete on the 08 saddle. Year 08 and 09 have significant changes so 08 seats will not fit an 09 and vice versa.

With the new Rocker style oil tank and oil lines on the 09, year 08 drag pipes will not fit 09 springer bikes. The seat you want for your wife for the 09 is part no. 52271-09 (page 235 of the new HD catalogue). Sissy bar is 52540-09 (p. 243) and I chose backrest pad 51642-06 (p. 244). You'll also need a turn signal relocation kit, docking hardware and sideplates (pn# 53810-00B). As a finishing touch, get the chrome magnetic covers for your docking hardware when you don't have the sissy bar attached. Surely your dealer can get those turn signal and docking hardware part no.s without screwing it up. I also got the sport luggage rack that mounts on the sissy bar, which is part no. 54210-09. I don't know about the numbers of bikes being made in the cvo line.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 02:07:36 PM by rheiner »

kev

• CVO1: FXSTSSE2 2008
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2008, 02:30:16 PM »

Hello rheiner You have given a great description comparing the two bikes but what was your impresion of the 09 on your first turn you took I just wondered if that monster tyre made much difference.  I thought about the 09 but managed to get a great deal on the 08 so took the plunge.

Sierramadre

• Elite CVO Member
  • "Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2008, 02:38:27 PM »

Great write up.  I owned an 08 SE Springer and loved it.

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2008, 10:01:12 AM »

Hello rheiner You have given a great description comparing the two bikes but what was your impresion of the 09 on your first turn you took I just wondered if that monster tyre made much difference.  I thought about the 09 but managed to get a great deal on the 08 so took the plunge.

I really didn't notice a difference with the 240 mm rear tire on my 09 versus 08 springer on sharp cornering. The way the tire is shaped, it rolls with the bike nicely. But from what I read here, I don't ride my bikes as hard as a lot of you guys. I've never scraped my forward controls on turns on either bike and only once scraped my Rinehart cross backs exhaust on my 08 springer when I had a passenger on board. I also weigh close to 200 pounds.

I haven't mentioned this before in comparing the two models, but the 09 has an inch or two of additional leg room. It might be because of the stock seat differences. I haven't taken a tape measure from the frame under the seat to the forward controls of either bike. You also sit a bit lower on the 08 than the 09. I have 16 inch Wild 1 springer handle bars on both bikes and I can see cross traffic under my hands on my 08 and my hands are in the way on my 09. Both bars are at the same angle, perpendicular from the ground.

Another thing I haven't mentioned in prior posts comparing the bikes is the 08 brake pedal sticks out further and is much easier to access. With the 09, you need to point your toes inward to reach the pedal. I'm thinking of putting an 08 pedal on my 09 if it will fit. I don't know why the MoCo made this change. It was a bad one.

Clearly, for me the thing that stands out most in terms of performance between the two models is the seat. The 09 is like sitting on a gel sofa. The 08 is like sitting on a concrete step after 25 to 50 miles.

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2008, 10:44:55 AM »

Also, emailed Rhinehart, they are checking the fittin of the Cross-backs with the 09 FXSTSSE3 in the next couple of weeks, haven't heard back since but see on BUB's web site that all 08 model products fit the 09 models although not specific about the 09 SESTS with it's wider swingarm, and are coming out with some nice black or chrome pipes for the 09's at http://bub.com/

I was told by Rinehart and my dealer that the cross backs won't fit the 09 because the oil lines are in the way yet I've seen these pipes on an 09 springer. wtf.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 11:19:56 PM by rheiner »

Smiler

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2008, 02:39:21 PM »

Congrats but
 :worthless:
 :worthless: :worthless:
 :worthless: :worthless: :worthless:
 :worthless: :worthless: :worthless: :worthless:
 :worthless: :worthless: :worthless: :worthless: :worthless:

Spawn

« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2008, 11:49:28 PM »

Just to follow up on the question I asked you about the Softail Springer manufactured numbers...this model will only be 2500 total. All paint schemes. What brand are the exhaust sleeves you recommend? And how can I tell that I am getting baffles that are 2.25 and not smaller then that sixe? Thanks for the info. Spawn

pilotroll

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2008, 03:48:43 PM »

they will fit with a bracket

Air-Cooled

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2008, 09:59:54 PM »

Your pipes don't look 100% parallel. Maybe it's just the photo.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.19 seconds with 20 queries.