Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9  All

Author Topic: Letter mailed on the 11th?  (Read 19169 times)

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
Re: Letter mailed on the 11th?
« Reply #105 on: August 22, 2008, 09:24:28 AM »

What we have here is a bunch of engineers who had no clue as to how hot the motors were going to run (stuck an oil cooler on two models just in case) take five versions of a gasket to stop cylinder movement due to the heat.  Now you expect that they have calculated the heat difference in the front and rear and also in the type of bike so accurately that they can determine that only 25% of the motors are affected.  I'm surprised they are changing the front head on the SEUCs.
They might be able to accurately measure the difference a fairing makes to the engine temperatures in a lab, but what about the outside temperature?  Certainly 100 degrees and in traffic on a Road King will probably exceed the rear head temp of a SEUC in Maine at 50 degrees.
Will they void your EXTENDED warranty if you put a fairing on a SERK?  Remember, the two year warranties are ticking away as we speak and they know that.
This improvement program should have at minimum extended the warranty on the engines for at least 5 years.

Any day on the bike is a good day.

Steve_G

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • SD

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTUSE Watermelon (traded)
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHTUSE3 Anniversary (traded)
    • CVO3: 2022 FLHTKSE Hightail Yellow
« Reply #106 on: August 23, 2008, 02:25:38 PM »

What we have here is a bunch of engineers who had no clue as to how hot the motors were going to run (stuck an oil cooler on two models just in case) take five versions of a gasket to stop cylinder movement due to the heat.  Now you expect that they have calculated the heat difference in the front and rear and also in the type of bike so accurately that they can determine that only 25% of the motors are affected.  I'm surprised they are changing the front head on the SEUCs.
They might be able to accurately measure the difference a fairing makes to the engine temperatures in a lab, but what about the outside temperature?  Certainly 100 degrees and in traffic on a Road King will probably exceed the rear head temp of a SEUC in Maine at 50 degrees.
Will they void your EXTENDED warranty if you put a fairing on a SERK?  Remember, the two year warranties are ticking away as we speak and they know that.
This improvement program should have at minimum extended the warranty on the engines for at least 5 years.

This improvement program should be a recall and it should include better cylinders.
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies!

BartManSr

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #107 on: August 29, 2008, 12:00:17 AM »

Took the SERK3 in for the recall work. I noticed they had a charge of $147.00 for doing it. Is that normal?

PHAZE

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: '05 SEEG/'06 CUSE/'07 SERK/'09 SERG (ALL SOLD)
    • CVO2: '09 CVO Fat Bob Black Diamond/Fire Quartz (SOLD)
    • CVO3: '11.5 CVO Ultra Classic Twilight Blue/Candy Cobalt
« Reply #108 on: August 29, 2008, 12:43:47 AM »

I'd say that it should be done at no charge.  It's a Harley "product improvement" and I'd be jumpin' up and down if they charged me to do the work!

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #109 on: August 29, 2008, 01:01:23 AM »

Took the SERK3 in for the recall work. I noticed they had a charge of $147.00 for doing it. Is that normal?

Are you sure they didn't do anything additional you asked for? If not, post that dealer's name for all of us to know. edited: (Although I shouldn't b!tch, I was charged $189 for having a battery replaced in one of the vehicles today... Yes, I said $189 = battery.)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 01:03:31 AM by hard10 »

Gone Fishin'

• The Director
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 FLHTKSE Limited®, Black Sparkle and 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Ultra Classic®, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate, # 110 of 992
    • CVO2: 2007 FLHRSE3 Screamin' Eagle® Road King®, Black Ice, 1 of 1325
    • CVO3: 2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red and 2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine, 1 of 316
« Reply #110 on: August 29, 2008, 05:23:53 AM »

This seems to be the newest twist! Of course I am assuming that anyone had it done for free (as I had). or are there others, who have been charged for the "campaign" work?

1914 10E, Grey
1956 FLH Custom, Candy Orange
1988 FXRS Custom, "S.O.A."
2000 FLSTF Custom Fat Boy, "Jumpin' Jack Flash"
2000 FXSTS Custom Springer Softail, Grey
2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine
2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red
2005 FLHTCSE2, -9/07
2007 FLHRSE3, Black Ice
2008 FLHTCUSE3, -7/08
2009 FLHTCUSE4, -4/10
2010 FLHTCUSE5-BLK, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate
2012 VRSCDX ANV, Brilliant Silver Pearl
2016 FLHTKSE, Black Sparkle
2016 XL1200CX Roadster, Vivid Black
2018 FLFBS ANV
CVO 1480 IBA 26678

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #111 on: August 29, 2008, 08:41:24 AM »

I would assume, if you asked for nothing else to be done, that this charge is for oil and filter and also maybe shop supplies that ALL service facilities add on the bottom now.  If so, this is NOT your responsibility.  It is required while pulling off the heads and cylinders for the gaskets etc.

Can you imagine going into a Chevy dealership after having a new warranty motor installed and being charged for antifreeze, oil and a new filter?  I was a Chevy service manager for over 10 years and this was all on Chevy to get it back up to like new condition.

I will say that if you have a major leak in your motor and it takes maybe a quart a week, it's still your responsibility to maintain operating fluid levels until you can get it into a dealer for repairs.  If you just let it go out of oil they can refuse your claim.  That's Chevy, not the MOCO.

I'm planning on getting my '08 SERK back in for the campaign about the time for the 5,000 mile service.  That way I get a change of oil and filter on them this time.

I would seriously review the charges and then go see the SM and get this straightened out.

Let us know what they say.

Good luck.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #112 on: August 29, 2008, 09:12:30 AM »

I would assume, if you asked for nothing else to be done, that this charge is for oil and filter and also maybe shop supplies that ALL service facilities add on the bottom now.  If so, this is NOT your responsibility.  It is required while pulling off the heads and cylinders for the gaskets etc.

Can you imagine going into a Chevy dealership after having a new warranty motor installed and being charged for antifreeze, oil and a new filter?  I was a Chevy service manager for over 10 years and this was all on Chevy to get it back up to like new condition.

I will say that if you have a major leak in your motor and it takes maybe a quart a week, it's still your responsibility to maintain operating fluid levels until you can get it into a dealer for repairs.  If you just let it go out of oil they can refuse your claim.  That's Chevy, not the MOCO.

I'm planning on getting my '08 SERK back in for the campaign about the time for the 5,000 mile service.  That way I get a change of oil and filter on them this time.

I would seriously review the charges and then go see the SM and get this straightened out.

Let us know what they say.

Good luck.

Don't assume that oil is changed.  In my past repairs, changing cylinders and gaskets did not include an oil change.  Many will agree with this.  Silly right?

The only time I got oil and filter was with the new motor.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #113 on: August 29, 2008, 10:30:37 AM »

It's nobody's fault but HD's that these motors have to come apart. YOU SHOULD NOT PAY ONE RED CENT FOR ANYTHING RELATED TO THESE SO CALLED PRODUCT ENHANCEMENTS!!! That total BS!!! FTF!!! ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #114 on: August 29, 2008, 10:40:19 AM »

It's nobody's fault but HD's that these motors have to come apart. YOU SHOULD NOT PAY ONE RED CENT FOR ANYTHING RELATED TO THESE SO CALLED PRODUCT ENHANCEMENTS!!! That total BS!!! FTF!!! ;)

Hoist! 8)

Agree, the dealer most be on some bad drugs to charge the $147.00..   Don't pay it if you didn't have anything else done.

smiley1049

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #115 on: August 29, 2008, 06:21:24 PM »

The letter says NO COST.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #116 on: August 29, 2008, 08:35:25 PM »

BartManSr,

What is that $147 charge actually for?  Unless they are combining the "Upgrade" with a regular service interval at your request, or they are providing additional parts that Harley didn't include in the program at your request, there should be zero charge to just have the "Upgrade" done.  If they cannot come up with a good reason that you agree with, do not pay the charges.  If they jerk you around, call H-D customer service from the dealership and invite them to have a chat with the dealer about the bogus charges.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #117 on: August 29, 2008, 10:46:49 PM »

Don't assume that oil is changed.  In my past repairs, changing cylinders and gaskets did not include an oil change.  Many will agree with this.  Silly right?

The only time I got oil and filter was with the new motor.

An oil change will definitely not be part of the "upgrade" program.  There is no need to change the oil after removing and reinstalling the heads and jugs, so it will not be part of what the MoCo will reimburse to the dealer.  Of course, maybe if your dealer is one of the good guys he may throw in an oil change to compensate you for your trouble and to ensure your loyalty.  :nixweiss:   Man, I must be getting sleepy to throw that one out.  Time to call it a night.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

FLHRSE3

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #118 on: August 30, 2008, 09:01:08 AM »

Picked my bike up yesterday from recall service being performed, they called HD and received authorization to replace the rear head under normal warranty and not part of  “product enhancement”.  They would have to provide me with an awfully confusing explanation to convince me to part with a $147 for me being inconvenienced for them to fix their screw-up.

Gregg

BIGDOG

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM#9.51 and a half .3
« Reply #119 on: August 31, 2008, 02:44:35 PM »

Not that it makes a lot of deference at this point but I have never received a letter from Harley is anyone else still waiting for there letter.
If your not liven on the edge , your taking up to much space!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9  All

Page created in 0.194 seconds with 25 queries.