Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9  All

Author Topic: Letter mailed on the 11th?  (Read 19167 times)

leoniru

• Full CVO Member
Re: Letter mailed on the 11th?
« Reply #90 on: August 19, 2008, 09:38:31 PM »

FWIW I called my dealer today and spoke with the SM about this 'update' both to confirm they actually knew about it, and had the parts there. Yes on both accounts.
When asked as to why the heads were only going to be changed on the dressers he responded that it was because they were heavier and had to work harder ------!@#@!#. WTF!
As I had called from work and didn't have access to any weight data, I couldn't debate this contention with him; but now at home I see after a quick glance at a  2007 sales brochure which lists the weights of all the CVOs that the Ultra Classic weighs a whopping 105 lbs. more than my RK. Big f---ing difference, huh? Heck, individual rider weight variations can be way greater than that!
As to the crank nut component, he admitted that he didn't have a cllue why it was being changed.
Makes me want to hurry right on down there and have them work on my bike. I'm of the opinion that a chef or veterinarian might more likely do a better job of straightening out one of these 110s than my genuine bona fide don't know what the hell is goin' on H-D dealer.
I do know one thing though. If I do decide to have this seemingly token gesture done, I'm gonna be right there watching the whole process.

leoniru

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #91 on: August 19, 2008, 09:41:58 PM »

FWIW I called my dealer today and spoke with the SM about this 'update' both to confirm they actually knew about it, and had the parts there. Yes on both accounts.
When asked as to why the heads were only going to be changed on the dressers he responded that it was because they were heavier and had to work harder ------!@#@!#. WTF!
As I had called from work and didn't have access to any weight data, I couldn't debate this contention with him; but now at home I see after a quick glance at a  2007 sales brochure which lists the weights of all the CVOs that the Ultra Classic weighs a whopping 105 lbs. more than my RK. Big f---ing difference, huh? Heck, individual rider weight variations can be way greater than that!
As to the crank nut component, he admitted that he didn't have a cllue why it was being changed.
Makes me want to hurry right on down there and have them work on my bike. I'm of the opinion that a chef or veterinarian might more likely do a better job of straightening out one of these 110s than my genuine bona fide don't know what the hell is goin' on H-D dealer.
I do know one thing though. If I do decide to have this seemingly token gesture done, I'm gonna be right there watching the whole process.

leoniru

They're replacing the center crankcase bolt, not a crank nut. The new bolt has a sealing ring under the flange to prevent crankcase oil from weeping from around the head of the bolt.

:indian_chief:

leoniru

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #92 on: August 19, 2008, 09:49:39 PM »

Thanks Chief for clearing that up. I can now tell my SM what to say to anyone else that inquires about this part of 'the fix'.

leoniru

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #93 on: August 19, 2008, 10:42:03 PM »

When asked as to why the heads were only going to be changed on the dressers he responded that it was because they were heavier and had to work harder ------!@#@!#. WTF!As I had called from work and didn't have access to any weight data, I couldn't debate this contention with him; but now at home I see after a quick glance at a  2007 sales brochure which lists the weights of all the CVOs that the Ultra Classic weighs a whopping 105 lbs. more than my RK. Big f---ing difference, huh? Heck, individual rider weight variations can be way greater than that!

leoniru

That is the biggest crock of chit I've ever heard!!! If you guys don't collectively go back and demand the heads too, they'll be getting away with murder!!! FTF!!! >:( ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Buvy

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
« Reply #94 on: August 20, 2008, 02:17:51 AM »

That is the biggest crock of chit I've ever heard!!! If you guys don't collectively go back and demand the heads too, they'll be getting away with murder!!! FTF!!! >:( ;)

Hoist! 8)

Howie has a point... the only reason I'm not bozo upset over this issue is I have an Ultra.
We're the renegades of this time and age
This is the time and age of renegades!

hafbad0

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #95 on: August 20, 2008, 06:55:16 AM »

I received on letter on August 8th and another on August 15th.  The bike was already at the dealership for the 10K service and a rear cylinder legal.  Will pick it up on Saturday Aug. 23rd.  Am I understanding this correctly, you guys are asking for the old heads and receiving them.  I sure the stealership will say that they have to return them to Harley Headquarters.  What's the facts?  How about is Hoist?????? 

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #96 on: August 20, 2008, 07:46:00 AM »

I received on letter on August 8th and another on August 15th.  The bike was already at the dealership for the 10K service and a rear cylinder legal.  Will pick it up on Saturday Aug. 23rd.  Am I understanding this correctly, you guys are asking for the old heads and receiving them.  I sure the stealership will say that they have to return them to Harley Headquarters.  What's the facts?  How about is Hoist?????? 

The Product Program includes brand new heads for SEUC's, besides the gaskets, bolt, and ACR. HD is not providing them for SERK's, Dyna's, or Springers! It's a buncha BS I tall ya!!! ;)

Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

comfortablynumb

• Senior CVO Member
  • u can chek out any time u like,but ucan nver leave

• CVO1: 2008 SEUC3 SuperTrapp SE slip ons SE Stage 1 A/C SE Super Tuner Kury LED Brake & Turn Kury Zombie Shift Linkage & Cover Clearview 9.5 recurve Tru Track
« Reply #97 on: August 20, 2008, 07:53:44 AM »

I had printed a copy of the sample letter from this site and took a ride to the dealer to "talk" to him about another small issue. After hearing some blah blah blah whereas I got a little hot, especially after the remark about just wanting my money back and my attitude, and how he's worked for Harley  for 1000 years, I  asked him to come outside to show him another little issue, and said oh by the way can you explain this, and showed him the copy. When he picked his jaw up off the ground, he demanded to know where I got the letter from. I told him I had some friends in the business. This guy became my best friend. "We're trying to schedule the work for over the' winter, but I'll see if I can get you in early." All of a sudden, after 3 f***in visits looking to the experts for some help NOT A REFUND, he said ,"oh now I understand what you mean". Another load of crap elitist attitude.Mutha I was pissed. I have to say that this J.O. is not one of the guys that I usually deal with who have always been knowledgable and more than fair. Why is it that you have' to threaten or get hot to get anything done? (see 110" issue thread from beginning). Sorry to vent but either that or who knows.
Follow up on my ranting. I got my letter on Monday, so now I'm in the pile with everyone else. No leak yet, but bike seems to be losing a little oil from case but not showing up anywhere else.Maybe a bad internal gasket?I'm no wrench but it has to be going somewhere.Eyes open. On my dealinds mentioned above, I got a call that my parts were in, so I went down to see what the story was. Problem parts were there at no charge!Now I'm confused.As i was willing to pay for the solution, and I told the guy so,this came as a big surprise.Here's the question-did they actually do the right thing or is this a delayed charge? I'd like to believe the former because the people that I have dealt with have been great, but the paranoia from dealing with the moco over the years and especially with the 110 has me looking over my shoulder and reading the fine print. What is absolutely fantastic is once I'm in the saddle and moving I can't remember what the big deal is? But I'll eat some crow for the moment,thank the guys for help,and wait.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #98 on: August 20, 2008, 07:54:45 AM »

Howie has a point... the only reason I'm not bozo upset over this issue is I have an Ultra.

Me too because I am getting rid of my SERK.......for another 110 Ultra.... :'(   :confused5:

Bouy I have issues

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #99 on: August 20, 2008, 08:00:56 AM »

Follow up on my ranting. I got my letter on Monday, so now I'm in the pile with everyone else. No leak yet, but bike seems to be losing a little oil from case but not showing up anywhere else.Maybe a bad internal gasket?I'm no wrench but it has to be going somewhere.Eyes open. On my dealinds mentioned above, I got a call that my parts were in, so I went down to see what the story was. Problem parts were there at no charge!Now I'm confused.As i was willing to pay for the solution, and I told the guy so,this came as a big surprise.Here's the question-did they actually do the right thing or is this a delayed charge? I'd like to believe the former because the people that I have dealt with have been great, but the paranoia from dealing with the moco over the years and especially with the 110 has me looking over my shoulder and reading the fine print. What is absolutely fantastic is once I'm in the saddle and moving I can't remember what the big deal is? But I'll eat some crow for the moment,thank the guys for help,and wait.

Oh the power of this great site! We have dealers everywhere shaking in their boots when they hear your involved with the great and powerful Obi1!!! ;D ;D ;D

You're getting all this stuff under HD's Product Program. You're getting new heads along with some gaskets, a bolt, and ACR's. And no, they did not do the right thing. Maybe with the FD's. Time will tell. But with the SERK's, Dyna's and Springers, not the right thing at all!!! FTF!!! ;)

Hoist! 8)

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #100 on: August 20, 2008, 12:27:36 PM »

As to the crank nut component, he admitted that he didn't have a clue why it was being changed.

leoniru

When I was out in Sturgis a couple weeks ago, I did the Rapid City Civic Center Harley tour.  I found one of the guys that seemed to be knowledgeable on the SE's and the improvement programs. 

I was specifically concerned about the recall on the fuel filter breakage and loss of fuel pressure.  What he showed me and the way he explained it, it made sense to me.  The part that's breaking is doing so because of vibration.  He asked how many miles I have on the bike and I told him about 3,500.  He said that I should not have any issues while riding in Sturgis for a week or two.  He said it was higher mileage bikes that see the issue more frequently.  I rode about 1,300 miles without any issue, so I guess I was lucky.

I asked about the gaskets, heads, center bolt, ACR, etc.  He said that the reason the SEUC gets the heads with the new retainer is that they run hotter than the other bikes with the same motors.  The faring and lowers tend to pump the temp up, especially in the rear head.  That makes sense to me as well.  It doesn't make sense that it's because the weight of the bike is more and it works harder.

So not having any leak issues yet, I'll probably get the fuel filter recall done and wait for a slower time in the shop to drop off the bike for the new gaskets.

Who knows, by then there may be more to have done...
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #101 on: August 20, 2008, 12:28:16 PM »

Maybe could have something to do with the valve-guide problems -- new heads would possibly cure the oil consumption if this is the case.

When the work is done I would make sure that they inspect the cylinders for slippage and/or unusual wear.  Since you have an oil consumption problem, would probably be a good idea to get new rings while they are in there.

Buvy

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
« Reply #102 on: August 20, 2008, 03:05:43 PM »

Postponed the recall & upgrades until winter  :orange:

This way the crank runout can be given it's full attention if my runout is outside the old tolerance not the new trash they have floated.  Will be in NYC in three weeks.
We're the renegades of this time and age
This is the time and age of renegades!

Janine

• FXDSE2
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FXDSE2
    • CVO2: FXSTSSE
« Reply #103 on: August 21, 2008, 11:31:13 PM »

Got my letter and took it to a local dealer. He started reading it and said "Oh, this is on the recall" I had to laugh as the letter calles it anything but a recall~Scheduled for the end of Oct. Just before she's put up for the winter.
Member 4721
FXDSE2-Candy Cobalt/Midnight Blue

Gone Fishin'

• The Director
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 FLHTKSE Limited®, Black Sparkle and 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Ultra Classic®, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate, # 110 of 992
    • CVO2: 2007 FLHRSE3 Screamin' Eagle® Road King®, Black Ice, 1 of 1325
    • CVO3: 2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red and 2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine, 1 of 316
« Reply #104 on: August 22, 2008, 04:57:17 AM »

(...)
(...)

This quote implies that you should really into looking to create your own "product improvement campaign",ah, should be "dealer improvement campaign". Anyone telling you this bllsht  :sauer055: does not deserve anyone of us as their customer. Just my opinion, of course.

Ride safely,
Louis

1914 10E, Grey
1956 FLH Custom, Candy Orange
1988 FXRS Custom, "S.O.A."
2000 FLSTF Custom Fat Boy, "Jumpin' Jack Flash"
2000 FXSTS Custom Springer Softail, Grey
2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine
2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red
2005 FLHTCSE2, -9/07
2007 FLHRSE3, Black Ice
2008 FLHTCUSE3, -7/08
2009 FLHTCUSE4, -4/10
2010 FLHTCUSE5-BLK, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate
2012 VRSCDX ANV, Brilliant Silver Pearl
2016 FLHTKSE, Black Sparkle
2016 XL1200CX Roadster, Vivid Black
2018 FLFBS ANV
CVO 1480 IBA 26678
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9  All

Page created in 0.254 seconds with 25 queries.