Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Recall Heads are they worth polishing?  (Read 7015 times)

newseultra07

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

Re: Recall Heads are they worth polishing?
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2008, 06:00:20 PM »

Well talked to my dealer about changing cams out & they said for the money its not really going to make that much of a difference for $1000. They said that i had 251 cams in my 110 already but i corrected them saying the 255's are stock in the 110's.

Would there be that much of a noticeable difference in performance.?? Most of my riding is on back roads doing 70 ish.
2018 Anniversary CVO M8

rednectum

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2008, 06:32:33 PM »

unbalanced, which (and whos) cam did wes cookie cut this time? got specs?

thanks

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2008, 10:48:47 PM »

Dennis,

In all fairness to Wes, you should shoot him an email at cyclerama@gmail.com.   That way I am not speaking out of turn for him on whose core it is.   As far as the spec's of the cam, I do not know if he is ready to disclose it publically yet.   

HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2008, 11:08:12 PM »

Porthole,

New stock Lifters as they have a lot less noise than the SE ones and because your changing the cam and it is cheap insurance to not have issues.

S&S pushrods as they have less flex than the Screaming Eagle adjustables, none of the perfect fits in either of the 2 x I have used them have ever been quiet whether with 204 cam or a 251 cam.  I put in adjustables and and the noise went away.   

Harry; Have you tried the new SE tapered yet?

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2008, 11:06:15 AM »

Jim,

I have not, they were supposed to be put in on the repair of the cam chest when I lost the lifters to keep all Harley Parts.   The dealer decided to put in perfect fits despite my request and what I had in there and they put on diamond cut tubes  :nixweiss:.   Too bad they put the wrong perfect fits in (too long).   Now have the S&S  Rods in the

HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

anglia48

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2008, 01:43:12 PM »

So I got my letters this week, head recall, {I mean product campaign} and the fuel shell recall. Talked to the SM at the dealership and He said that both heads would be replaced, even on my 08 Road King. Maybe He is confused too.  :nixweiss: If they do replace the heads I asked him about porting and polishing along with shaving the heads 0.50" for more compression, differnt cams and adjustable push rods. Anyone think this might be OK?

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2008, 02:02:26 PM »

Since the wrench has to take things apart it strikes me the savings on labor may just about cover a little machine work to the new heads and adding a cam that actually stays on it's feet past 4200 rpm. Spoke to hd-Dude and he has some good reccomendations. Before I move forward has anyone done anything like this with the 08 110? Hoist be nice when you pipe up  :)

Thanks brothers
This is how it all started with Howie....
Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

skyhook

• Senior CVO Member
  • ride 'em don't hide 'em

• CVO1: '08 fxdse2
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2008, 03:41:52 PM »

replacing the stock cams is the best thing you can do to a cvo 110"...it will help cool the motor and improve performance above 2700 rpm...the heads are ok, the ports are too big, the combustion chamber is too big and poorly shaped, and the valve job isn't ideal...at the minimum I'd have the ports cleaned up and a proper valve job...correcting the ports and chambers will help a lot also, but is expensive...I don't think you can mill the heads .050" as this will interfere with the compression releases, possibly causing them to hit the piston

I upgraded my '08 fxdse2 on my own dime...head porting including all the above mentioned mods, se257 cams, supertrapp 2 into 1 exhaust, power commander...6k miles on the build and no leaks

I'd also recommend monitoring head temperatures and not letting it get above 330* F on the rear head...it will take at least changing cams and a good tune to accomplish, and maybe an oil cooler
08 fxdse2, r&r heads, 257 cam, hpi 55mm t/body, supermeg

nomadltd

• CVO1: 2008 springer softail aniversary colors
    • CVO2: 2007 ultra classic red on black
    • CVO3: 1997 honda valkyrie custom
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2008, 10:57:15 PM »

I have an 08 fxstsse2. I thought I was the only smart one trying to get the moco to pay for my upgrades! I went from stock plus pipes and a tuner making 106lbs between 2800-4200 and 88horse between 4500-5500 into what they call a stage 2. Its the SE 260 cams, 10.5:1 pistons, 50mm throttle body, pro tuner, dynod. Now it makes 114 lbs @ 4500, and 107 hp at 6k. It changed the entire riding experience of the bike. I was used to riding it around 2500 rpm in the city, now it bogs out if I crack on it that low. When it gets over the 3500 r range, it is wide awake! The stealership charged me 1524.85 for parts, 3 hours labor for changing the cams, pistons, and throttle body, and 4.15 hours dyno time. I now wish I was more aware of what I was doing, because I would have had them do the heads at the same time, and convincing my wife that its a good idea now will be a touch harder to do, since most of the labor is not going to be free! (Its easier to ask forgiveness than permission, right?) The main question I have is weather I should change the heads all together or rework the ones I have...any feedback is greatly appreciated! Does anyone know what heads are stock on that motor and what the p/n is for them? I am thinking about the ported "HTCC" heads (P/N 16925-02B) if anyone has used them or knows about them?
two eyes two ears, two hands, two beers...

rednectum

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2008, 10:36:01 AM »

Dennis,

In all fairness to Wes, you should shoot him an email at cyclerama@gmail.com.   That way I am not speaking out of turn for him on whose core it is.   As far as the spec's of the cam, I do not know if he is ready to disclose it publically yet.   

man, every body is losing da humor.  wes is a good man. i was jerkin your cord!

skyhook

• Senior CVO Member
  • ride 'em don't hide 'em

• CVO1: '08 fxdse2
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2008, 10:41:18 AM »

nomad,
you don't have enough compression for the 260 cam...I'd run at least 10.9 compression with se260 cams...not sure if you can get your compression that high with your piston/head combo...the cheapest thing to do would be to put in a set of se251 cams...you would have a lot more torque from 2700 rpm up...the stock 110" heads can benefit a lot from having the ports and combustion chambers welded and reshaped...also a performance valve job will gain a lot...this will also require changing to flat top pistons...this will cost a couple grand, but is the best way to make the motor have a wide power band
08 fxdse2, r&r heads, 257 cam, hpi 55mm t/body, supermeg

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2008, 07:57:53 PM »

He supposedly cut a modified 595 gear drive cam for me based on the same request I had. To come on a little lower than the CR595. Bike pulls like a mutha, and I was a few months between using them, so it's difficult to compare. I can't really tell. It's strong from 2500 up!. That's all I care about! But I wonder if he used the same gind on this cam, only chain drive? :confused5: ;)

Hoist! 8)

Howie,
I spoke to Wes tonight and he said this is a completely different profile than the cam you have.   He said he did tweak the 595 for you to come in a little earlier.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2008, 08:14:13 PM »

Howie,
I spoke to Wes tonight and he said this is a completely different profile than the cam you have.   He said he did tweak the 595 for you to come in a little earlier.

Thanks Harry. I love the way Cybil runs, so I've no complaints. Had they been a little more patient with me, seeing the dealys and all, we could've still gotten along fine. Wish Pam hadn't gotten so bent outta shape. It would'a passed right away had she just let me vent. I had reason to be upset, but never with Wes' package. I have no hard feelings. I hope they're over it and don't either! ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2008, 03:11:12 PM »

replacing the stock cams is the best thing you can do to a cvo 110"...it will help cool the motor and improve performance above 2700 rpm...the heads are ok, the ports are too big, the combustion chamber is too big and poorly shaped, and the valve job isn't ideal...at the minimum I'd have the ports cleaned up and a proper valve job...correcting the ports and chambers will help a lot also, but is expensive...I don't think you can mill the heads .050" as this will interfere with the compression releases, possibly causing them to hit the piston

I upgraded my '08 fxdse2 on my own dime...head porting including all the above mentioned mods, se257 cams, supertrapp 2 into 1 exhaust, power commander...6k miles on the build and no leaks

I'd also recommend monitoring head temperatures and not letting it get above 330* F on the rear head...it will take at least changing cams and a good tune to accomplish, and maybe an oil cooler

This seems reasonable but the intake seat is already huge at 93% and with the big valve it takes some more serious work then pockets and short side to really make this right. That 2.08 valve is just to darn big for a 110 motor and opening the port to the correct dimensions for the valve would be a mistake too. Velocity would be worse. I would like to find a test bike and volunteer a cam of my choice and reworked OEM non SE script heads for one of these 110" motors and then we will see how well they can really run. BTW my cam choice would likely be a Wild Things TC26 or Andrews 55
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 03:13:11 PM by Deweysheads »

resqdoc

• Full CVO Member
  • de oppresso libre
    • MT

« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2008, 08:57:39 PM »

Deweysheads,

I live 90 miles from you. You have a PM.
2007 FLHRSE3 with D&D Fatcats, SERT, AK-40 & Bitubo 330 mm, Glide-Pro, Clearview windscreen
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 20 queries.