Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: Do you ride with Hi Beam on?  (Read 4366 times)

Ride n Shine

• Senior CVO Member
  • life is all about the Fatboy's shine.

• CVO1: "05 CVO Fatboy
    • CVO2: '07 Ultra Classic.
    • CVO3: '09 883 Sporty.
Re: Do you ride with Hi Beam on?
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2008, 12:16:27 AM »

Yep, high beam during the day here unless riding in a group but still get one or two dick heads pull out in front of me on an average days riding. :nervous:

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2008, 01:18:37 AM »

Just this summer I've started riding with the bright on during the day.  And I too have noticed people start to come over in my lane right in front of me and jerk it back.

I've also noticed that I get cut off a lot less.

The motorcycle course suggested to the Terrie's class a three years ago, that they ride with their bright light on during the day.  They're not really that bright during the day.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

ox666

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHRSE4
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2008, 06:34:24 AM »

I've always ridden by old RK with 3 lamps burning.  Sticks out like the proverbial.  Put passing lamps on the wife's bike and she is now much more visible.  Passing lamps for my SERK have been on order for a month.  Far more visible than high beam.

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2008, 07:49:53 AM »

What if you don't have spot lights?  Would you ride with hi beam?

I still wouldn't... one thing I have learned over 35 plus years of riding is that there is are very few things that happen on a motorcycle that I should not have been able to anticipate or see comming.

There will be negative responses to this but...

Being on a bike means you need to be the epitome of a defensive driver.

I place the obligation on me and not on the other driver... I expect that every vehicle is going to pull out in front of me and cut me off.

Some call it paranoid... I call it prepared.

Modulating headlights are illegal here to.

ice6900

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: fxstsse 07
    • CVO2: (non cvo) fxdl customised
    • CVO3: (custom)arlen ness 1914 flat trak replica
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2008, 07:52:44 AM »

its illegal here 2, but DILLIGAF
i have never really had a bad experience that would make me think to ride during the day on high beam, so for me low beam is sufficient for now.

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2008, 07:56:59 AM »

When you guys say it's illegal, do you mean during the day light?

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2008, 08:04:52 AM »

When you guys say it's illegal, do you mean during the day light?

Both:

"Failing to lower headlight beam following/approaching". doesn't matter what time of day/night.

Also, there are 2 demerit points assigned to the offence!

« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 08:08:08 AM by murphy »

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2008, 08:09:38 AM »

Ontario Highway Traffic Act

R.S.O. 1990, CHAPTER H.8

Use of passing beam

168.  When on a highway at any time when lighted lamps are required to be displayed on vehicles, the driver of a motor vehicle equipped with multiple beam headlamps shall use the lower or passing beam when,

(a) approaching an oncoming vehicle within 150 metres; or

(b) following another vehicle within 60 metres, except when in the act of overtaking and passing. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 168

Alternating highbeams on other vehicles prohibited

(2)  No person shall use highbeam headlamps that produce alternating flashes of white light on any vehicle other than a vehicle referred to in subsection (1). R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 169 (2).
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 08:11:18 AM by murphy »

EGUC7

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Black and Orange
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2008, 08:44:09 AM »

I've got the dual HID set up (Thanks Jim!) and spots wired to run all the time on my 07 Ultra.  The tech and I spent a lot of time with the aiming charts, and I think that part is OK.  Whenever I am in towns or congested traffic I run the Hi-Beams.  I try and turn them off when motorcycle traffic is ahead, but guys, I want to be seen by the idiot cages that are all trying to kill us.  I agree we have to take responsibility to be defensive riders, but I think we should also do whatever we can to be seen.

Ride Safe!
Walt

cowboy7123

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 Ultra
    • CVO2: 09 Fatbob
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2008, 10:07:25 AM »

It's illegal here, I don't do it and it really pizzes me off when another bike has their's on when they come up behind me!

It's only illegal at night, during the day i ride with them on. At night I ride with all 3 on.

ROADROD

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 street glide
    • CVO2: 2006 v-rod yellow
    • CVO3: 2003 silver/black harley truck
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2008, 12:32:29 PM »

roadking.i leave spot lights on..v-rod i ride in daylight with high beam on...

RioGlide

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 SE Road King - sold
    • CVO2: 07 VRSCDX - Night Rod Special - sold
    • CVO3: 11 FLRTUSE - Rio Red
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2008, 01:08:07 PM »

I have had few very close calls.  One day, a girl pulled in front of me and her back bumper got within a foot of my from wheel at 70 mph, needless to say that I slammed on brakes and barely managed to control the bike slipping and sliding all over ( my RK doesn't have ABS).  When I caught up with her at next lite, she just smiled and said she didn't see me. :zwtf:

Maybe I should ask Patrick (NightRodX) and his friend Mark if they were annoyed by my lite since I rod over 400 miles behind them during NJ Hooters Run. :nixweiss:

Your hi-beam wasn't annoying at all, just adequately bright.  I didn't even realize you were running high's til you mentioned it here.  Day and / or night it was fine from my perspective in front of you.  In fact, the only thing I noticed was that you didn't have AUX lamps which I think we both agreed was a kind of "miss" for a $30K Road King.  Guess the MoFo needs another $300 or so from each of us (assuming you go HD lamps)

Personally I keep all three lamps on day or night with my SERK.  I have no doubt 3 beams improves your visibility and I just think it looks better anyway, even parked.  Certain conditions seem to provide (to me at least) slightly better long-range vision by switching the high beam on at night, at the expense (IMO) of visibility by others (cars) and near-range beam width.

I remember another thread somewhere here where the how-to's of running high beam with AUX lights was discussed.  I think I might consider doing that but my next change for SERK lights will be an HID conversion of all 3 lamps, main beam first.  Got HID on one car & they're just so much better at throwing light out, plus they improve visibility by other drivers quite a bit.

Oh, one last thing.  On my V-rod I run high beam all the time now.  Doing so has made a noticeable improvement (to me at least) in many fewer cut-offs, drivers pulling out in front, etc.  I leave it on day & night - it's just not bright enough to be annoying actually.  The main factor in headlight annoyance is how they are aimed.  You aim a headlight to shine right in anyone's mirrors who is driving in front of you, and you're going to annoy the hell out of them, low beams or high.

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2008, 01:22:04 PM »

Nobody has ever cut me off whenever I'm on the combat bike.  ;D
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

Abbynormal

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 yellow
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2008, 09:32:29 AM »

Texas motorcycle safety course taught to ride in DAY with lights on bright. Dim at night. I have noticed that when PlasmaMan is riding behind me on his SERK or 883, he just fades into the background with lights on dim in the daytime. Lights on bright make him much more visible.  For myself, I feel much safer with lights on bright in the day.

HarleyRider2004

• Full CVO Member
  • 2004 CVO Deuce
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2008, 12:48:13 PM »

Ontario Highway Traffic Act

R.S.O. 1990, CHAPTER H.8

Use of passing beam

168.  When on a highway at any time when lighted lamps are required to be displayed on vehicles, the driver of a motor vehicle equipped with multiple beam headlamps shall use the lower or passing beam when,

(a) approaching an oncoming vehicle within 150 metres; or

(b) following another vehicle within 60 metres, except when in the act of overtaking and passing. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 168

Alternating highbeams on other vehicles prohibited

(2)  No person shall use highbeam headlamps that produce alternating flashes of white light on any vehicle other than a vehicle referred to in subsection (1). R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 169 (2).

Wouldn't that mean night time, or raining?  Not daytime?  I would take that to mean it is not illegal to use a hi beam.

I do not ride with my hi beam on...but it is not a bad idea.

SCREAMIN' EAGLE SOFTAIL DEUCE (FXSTDSE2)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 20 queries.