Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: just about ready to give up on my SERK4  (Read 6595 times)

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
Re: just about ready to give up on my SERK4
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2008, 07:52:32 AM »

The 07 110" was a first year bike and as they say, stay away from introductory years.  Normally it would have been fixed by year 2.
The 09 is a first for the chassis also.  I can't imagine any "major issues" with a frame redesign.
What I'm saying is, you are already going to take a hit on the 07, why not wait another year for the new frame to mature?
Any day on the bike is a good day.

bikerbehaviorist

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2008, 11:19:56 PM »

Update on the damage- failed ring in rear cylinder, asked what about the front since those leak down test #s were not good either, service tech had no answer... Harley told the dealer to ball hone both cylinders - new rings and lap the valves and new valve guides. I asked about the valves and guides because the first report was they were OK, was told that is what harley told them to do. Makes you wonder what the mothership knows about the valves/heads that they are not saying??? Good news is I get to ride an 09 FLHT for a couple of days starting tomorrow morning while they continue the work on my bike..... :orange:

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2008, 01:19:39 PM »

The 07 110" was a first year bike and as they say, stay away from introductory years.  Normally it would have been fixed by year 2.
The 09 is a first for the chassis also.  I can't imagine any "major issues" with a frame redesign.
What I'm saying is, you are already going to take a hit on the 07, why not wait another year for the new frame to mature?

One wouldn't expect "major issues" with a slight modification to an engine that had been around for eight years either, but they managed to do it just fine.   Assuming the company is still in the motorcycle business by then, I'd wait at least three years before even thinking about getting a new design water cooled engine from them.  My product development guinea pig days are over anyway.  Even Triumph makes liquid-tight engines that don't self-destruct.  In fact, I don't think any other major manufacturer has the variety and wide-spread engine problems.  I used to be able to tell people who ragged on Harleys for being unreliable and leaving puddles that those days were long gone.  Now there is no defence; all I have to do is look in the garage - or in the dealer's shop since that is where most of them spend a lot of their time.  After being a life-long Harley fan I am very disillusioned with the MOFO MOCO.   If it weren't for the five figure loss I would probably get rid of this thing.
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

bikerbehaviorist

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2008, 08:32:13 PM »

Need your help - please

My 08 SERK can get an upgrade for about 3K that should get rid of my engine problems, but will void my warranty in terms of motor work. The bike is also now needing a starter, has warped rotors and the speedo is acting up again.

Or

My dealer will do an 09 FLHR with a CA. 103 kit including cams and download, chrome front end, matching tourpac, a few other chrome pieces for my bike plus $4700

What would you do?  I am leaning toward:

a CVO that has been a problem plus 3K and 19K miles  v.s. a brand new bike with zero miles full warranty on all the add ons and a more reliable motor

BalDeagle

• FLHRSE3 Candy Cobalt with Pale Gold Leafing Graphics
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do it today, tomorrow may be too late......
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2008, 06:52:31 AM »

Having read all your posts I would say that you aren't going to be happy until you've made a change. Go with your gut feeling and do what will make you happy in the long run.

Nige
Don't leave it until tomorrow, do it today !

110 SERK FLHRSE3
Power Commander
Doherty PowerPacc + PowerVents + Mystfree
Vance & Hines Slip ons + V & H True Duals
Lots of other shiny bits!

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2008, 07:31:39 AM »

There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go, no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone.
Jerry Garcia

Whatever makes you happy...You like the flhr platform though huh???

MOBlue

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2008, 08:29:03 AM »

I have a 2004 SEEG and bought a 2007 SE Ultra. The '07 had a little more power, but not worth all the headaches with the 110, so I sold it and never missed it on bit. My 103 is a great motor with all the HP and torque I need with no concerns about the 110 issues. If your dealer is like mine they run a special every winter where they do 20% off on parts and labor or throw in a 103 upgrade with the purchase of a new bike. Go with the 103 and you'll have no regrets. :drink:

bikerbehaviorist

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2008, 10:37:47 AM »

Miker thanks for the Jerry lyrics  :) I do like the flhr platform I road a heritage before and it keeps some of that classic look. I was looking at a street glide too, but I already have a dead center fairing so why???
2eagles thats what I wanted to hear!!

I counter offered asking 2k more for my bike, we will see what happens, but I think I will soon no longer be a CVO owner....

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2008, 10:53:07 AM »

"but I think I will soon no longer be a CVO owner...."

But a rider still.....Stick around...

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2008, 01:38:30 PM »

Absolutely stick around. Good luck with your negotations. Your somewhat in the driver seat as you already have a scooter to ride, so be hard on em! :D

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2008, 02:06:41 PM »

Miker thanks for the Jerry lyrics  :) I do like the flhr platform I road a heritage before and it keeps some of that classic look. I was looking at a street glide too, but I already have a dead center fairing so why???
2eagles thats what I wanted to hear!!

I counter offered asking 2k more for my bike, we will see what happens, but I think I will soon no longer be a CVO owner....

Any DeadHead is a friend of mine...

I've been reading your posts both here and on another forum (a while back).  With all the problems you've had, I think you've got a bad taste in your mouth with your present bike.  Any bike that you don't feel comfortable jumping on and heading out whenever/wherever you want is not a good bike to have, IMO.  Sounds like you want to take the deal they've offered...it seems reasonable to me, the 103 makes good power, and you'll have a platform that you'll be comfortable with, without the doubt in the back of your head all the time.  Put on Dark Star and ride into the sunset...
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2008, 03:07:18 PM »

HeHe!!! A friend of the devil is a friend of mine! ;) :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2008, 03:11:36 PM »

HeHe!!! A friend of the devil is a friend of mine! ;) :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)

Maybe that's why we're buddies??   :devil:
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2008, 03:34:25 PM »

:2vrolijk_21: :drink: :smoking:
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Lzyboy

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: Black and Gray 08
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2008, 11:03:17 PM »

go with the gut!!!! Don't make payments on something you don't want (if you still are). When you look out your window and like what you see, you know that's the one. If you don't have that feeling; find it and keep it. All I can say is stick around I know personally your pics have helped me out........

What ever you decided be safe and PARTY ON DUDE! (Bill and Ted)
Life time member VFW 7450 San Diego! Love your freedom, Thank a Vet!
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.197 seconds with 20 queries.