Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Author Topic: Hawg-Wired Amp's Rock!!  (Read 32026 times)

arthurman83

• CVO1: 2007 FXDSE Red/Black (sold)
    • CVO2: 2009 FLTRSE3 Orange/Black (sold)
    • CVO3: 2011 FLHXSE2 Orange/Black
Re: Hawg-Wired Amp's Rock!!
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2008, 06:12:57 PM »

Jim, do you know what impedence the factory speakers are? I was thinking of just replacing the speakers with the ones you used, but read on the Hawg Wired website that some CVO's were 4 ohm and some were 8 ohm.
Thanks,
Andrew

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2008, 06:31:19 PM »

Jim, that's very impressive!  As a music nut, I will have to consider it.  Have used the J&M's for years and believe they're a very good (required) upgrade.  ('04RG). They're an "outdoor" speaker so that should not be an issue though I would not spray them directly when washing the bike.  Same for the instruments.  Depends on how far you want to go.  Jim's Hawg-Wired PSC/CX system is that, an amp and speaker upgrade.  No doubt much better! Far different price points though. 

According to J&M, the new, HD (and theirs), two speaker system is 2 ohm.

Greg

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: '09 SE Road Glide
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2008, 06:33:36 PM »

Greg is right.  The factory speakers are 2 ohm.  It will work for awhile, but it will eventually overdrive your H/K radio and kill the internal amp.  Big $$ to fix.  The entire radio would have to be removed.  You'd be better off going with hogtunes or J&M if you are not going to change out the amp.  They both sell good speakers that will work with the stock system.  You could also probably find 2 ohm 5.5" Marine speakers that would work.  The mounting is standard, so any 5.5" speaker will do the trick.   

arthurman83

• CVO1: 2007 FXDSE Red/Black (sold)
    • CVO2: 2009 FLTRSE3 Orange/Black (sold)
    • CVO3: 2011 FLHXSE2 Orange/Black
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2008, 06:41:03 PM »

Thanks for the replies. Hawg wired also offers 2 ohm speakers. What brand do you prefer ?

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2008, 06:44:54 PM »

The stock system puts out about 40 or so db's.  The Hawg-Tunes speakers would bump it up 10-15 db's as well as make the stock system a million times better.  The OEM speakers are pathetic.  Every bike should at least change the speakers. 

I'm using a mount called Riders Claw on the bike (http://www.ridersclaw.com).  This is a small company that only accepts PayPal, but the quality is excellent and shipping was fast.  They only make mounts for the ipod Nano's. 

I like the Riders Claw/Nano combo because it is small and looks like it was designed for the bike.  It mounts to either the clutch or break housing via the existing two screws and is easy to control while riding.  The install is very easy.  The unit comes with longer screws and spacers. 

I also bought the connection cable.  The one I'm using is 3ft.  They sell a 1.5 ft, but it isn't long enough to reach the Road Glide radio.  I wire tied the patch cable to the clutch hose and then routed behind the spedo.  It isn't beautiful, but it does the job. 

What I'd like to do is hard-wire the patch cable into the radio.  This would clean up the install and look a million times better.  I'm sure this is possible, but I need a wire diagram for the OEM radio to figure it out.  Has anyone out there hard-wired an ipod into a factory radio before? 
Check out this thread - "How To" HK 06 and up Aux Jack to back of radio

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2008, 07:02:00 PM »

Thanks Fired00d, this is the post I was looking for; however, it is intense.  Have to pull the entire radio and get into it big time.  This would no doubt kill the warranty.  I'm hoping someone has a wire diagram for the H/K radios.  I know there has to be a better way to do this.  There are a million unused connectors inside of the faring.  If I could get a schematic I'm confident I could figure out how to create a harness that would trick the system to work.  Could use the intercom circuit, cb circuit, remote cd changer, etc.  These radios are very capable units that can probably do a lot more than moco cares about. 

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2008, 07:14:34 PM »

I was looking through my photos and found this one.  It is a shot of the OEM speaker before I pulled it out and threw it in the trash.  It is a joke.  It has a small magnet and does not have a tweeter.  This is an easy remove and replace project.  Anyone could do it.  4-screws and two wires. 

BTW, the wire plugs on the speakers are polarized (e.g. + & -).  HD uses a smaller spade connector on the positive lead (white plug in this pic).  If you change speakers you may need to change the positive connector to a larger size.  Radio Shack sells everything needed to do this. 

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2008, 07:19:33 PM »

Pic of Hawg-Wired Speaker replacement...

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2008, 07:25:45 PM »

Pic of hogtunes speaker taken from their website.  This one has a good picture of the smaller spade connector I referenced above. 
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 07:27:18 PM by Jim Kerr »

Guilty

• Got Dead?
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2008, 07:44:01 PM »

I just installed the J&M speakers this weekend and they are better than the stock speakers, but they are still limited IMO. With the short windscreen the sound quality degrades above 50 mph. I am installing a taller windshield later this week so I will see if that improves the ability to hear the radio/CD at higher speeds. I figure that if I want better quality sound that I will have probably have to intall an amplifier and maybe another set of speakers.

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2008, 08:22:14 PM »

Jim, Your radio sounds great. I guess that will be a mod I need to do on mine. Has anybody used the JM replacement speakers, and what do they think of them. http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail.asp?ProductID=HRUS-06GT&PF=6

I have had the very one's in your link and the model before those. Save your money and add the HW speakers only to start then build from there.

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2008, 08:29:42 PM »

Greg is right.  The factory speakers are 2 ohm.  It will work for awhile, but it will eventually overdrive your H/K radio and kill the internal amp.  Big $$ to fix.  The entire radio would have to be removed.  You'd be better off going with hogtunes or J&M if you are not going to change out the amp.  They both sell good speakers that will work with the stock system.  You could also probably find 2 ohm 5.5" Marine speakers that would work.  The mounting is standard, so any 5.5" speaker will do the trick.   

Nice post Jim. I think you are going t be very useful around here!  :2vrolijk_21:

Reading the above quoted post, are you saying I could not use the HW speakers t start and then add the amp later? Can I do this without hurting anything?

Thanks,

Rob

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2008, 09:45:25 PM »

Rob, you are correct.  You can't use the Hawg-Wired speakers with the factory H/K stereo.  The factory radio is 2 ohm and the HW's are 4. 

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2008, 11:03:16 PM »

Rob, you are correct.  You can't use the Hawg-Wired speakers with the factory H/K stereo.  The factory radio is 2 ohm and the HW's are 4. 

Thanks buddy. I have a call into Jim (HD-Dude) to order the 4 speaker set-up for my new Ultra.

Rob

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2008, 02:30:08 PM »

Hey Jim,

That was great information, thank you very much!  I saw the Hawg web site has very detailed directions on the installation and think I'll try when I pick up my SERG in mid October.  Did you also install an internal antenna?  I've had good luck with the Dakota Digital.  Curious as to your experience.  Thanks again! 

Greg

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 20 queries.