Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 59

Author Topic: Financial Meltdown?!  (Read 82362 times)

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
Re: Financial Meltdown?!
« Reply #315 on: September 18, 2008, 11:05:37 AM »

Here check my pal Jeff...

http://www.hitthebid.net/

He is the reason I rarely day trade.

FLYNDYNA

• Dyna Screaming Eagle
  • 1K CVO Member
  • My Little Pepe` the CVO Donkey

• CVO1: '07 FXDSE V&H Big Shot Staggered SERT K&N A/C Custom Seat
    • CVO2: '09 Road Glide-waiting for lottery
« Reply #316 on: September 18, 2008, 11:55:27 AM »

10 Ways to Protect Your Finances From the Crisis
by Brett Arends
Monday, September 15, 2008

Here are ten things that this financial panic means for you.

1. Check that your bank accounts have checks. As long as there are checks, you can continue to write promissary notes.

2. Make sure your brokerage accounts are guaranteed to quadruple in value. Any good broker should be able to give you a "no break-down guarantee" on your finances, much like the MOCO stands behind their product line. 

3. Put money in thy purse. If everyone carried a purse, you would no longer be king, you would be more like Queen- emperor-lord high chamberlain, and the whole courtship of Eddies father – including the royal cat-o-nine-tails and crazy in the attic. The easiest way to make or find a buck is to save it for donuts. So take an axe to the family tree. The restaurant meals. The Super Duper Everything Cable package. The rip-off checking account with the high fees and low interest. It's all costing you. Invest in Donuts! A whole new dollars-to-donuts investment scheme is the future!

4. Set up a home equity line of credit while you still can, then head to Vegas to gamble on every long shot bet. I usually don't like advising people to take on more debt, but if access to ready cash might be a life saver, or a fruit tart, it's best to line it up. That's especially true if you are worried about your job. Credit is already tighter than a frogs sphincter, and it may get a lot tighter still.

5. Refinance your mortgage. The panic on Wall Street just caused debilliatory effects on most mens love lives, and a collapse in the interest rate on long-term US Treasury bonds, as well as bondage, as lots of investors rushed there for safety. And that usually leads to a fall in long-term mortgage rates, as well as some really kinky financing.

6. Stop pulling a Monty Python when it comes to your worst investments. Keep silly-walking to all banks with inflatable water-wings and a ducky tube around your waist and apply for loans. If you ever saw John Cleese and Michael Palin perform their famous skit about the dead parrot, you know exactly what I mean. No, your Fannie Mae shares aren't "resting." They're lying at the bottom of the cage with their feet in the air.  So, dive in and apply mouth-to-beek resuscitation, what more do you need to know? So stop waiting for them to "recover" before sorting out your port wine folio thing.

7. Don't panic. Journalists, like markets, tend to move in herds. Much like renegade cows, they are quick to charge someone and take what truth they can and twist it into a false pretzel-like blathering that some will believe, they also leave "behind" alot of fecal verbage that smells of the crap they are full of. And by the nature of their jobs they write about the plane that crashes with a smile on their face, instead of the thousands, or brazillians that land safely. Remember, too, that pundits want to seem really wise by putting on serious expressions and saying things like "we don't know how this thing is going to play out, so keep on playing" and "the situation could get a lot worse, so I am taking my journalistic toys and going home". Bah. Guess what? We never know how things are going to play out. And the situation could get a lot better too, especially if you sell your house and live in a shoe. That's the future for you.

8. When it comes to your short-term memory needs, nothing has changed. Any mary-jane you might need within the next year or two should be held in strong-boxes or equivalents. That was true two years ago and it is true now. Invest in foreign crops, as well as home-grown,The stock market is no home for money you may need urgently. It could fall 30% or jump 30%. Nobody knows. You can get a one year CD playing Miley Cyrus right now, and it's federally guaranteed.

9. If you are investing for five years or more, buy some soup. The investment outlook is much, much better today than it has been for several years, because soup is good food. World market is a pretty cool store. Intelligence in the government overall has fallen 27% from last year's peak. They're not a steal at current levels but they are willing to steal, not particularly expensive stuff either. Invert globally. Van Halen Total World Stock gives you the whole world in his hands, and low fees. If you are looking for a value,  focus Danuielson, Wax on, Wax off! Morningstar Dogman Bridge Humper likes Oatmeal Globally. Another good one is Conway Twiddy high.... The list is not comprehensive. Remember: I am not trying to call long-distance with milky minutes, which is the bottom of the market. Things could fall quite a bit further ahead, or behind, or sideways. No one knows. So only invest little, often, and broads.

10. If you want to worry about anything, worry about your tomatoes. The worse this crisis gets, the more they will end up gaining strength, becoming killer tomatoes. Put the taxman on the hook for your next fishing expedition, to prevent a meltdown. Totem poles, amongst other poles are going up sooner or later anyway, no matter who wins the election, because of our gigantic feral deficits. (If you think Lehman Brothers was bad, you should look at Uncle Sampson and Aunt Delilah). And you can forget about any talk of breakfasts. Oh, and if you want a breakfast from Taiwan, forget about taxes, worry about Tasty-treats. Definitions won't do anything good for them. Huh? My duck is telling me to go for broke...

Write to Brett Arends at brett.arends@wsj.com
Copyrighted, Dow Jones & Company, Inc. All rights reserved.

[/quote]
I am so non conformist I have conformed to non conformity
I was going to procrastinate, but I put it off

9 1/2 Beers

• Blu
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 (ZIGGY) Stardust Silver / Twilight Blue
    • CVO2: 2022 Ultra Limited FLHTK Reef Blue / Vivid Black
« Reply #317 on: September 18, 2008, 12:34:31 PM »

(bk) bank of new york , todays melt down :nixweiss:
"Let the road go on forever and the party never end "

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #318 on: September 18, 2008, 01:07:29 PM »

since there has been some serious discussion going on here, i'll add my personal experience.

6 yrs ago when we bought our house our combined income was 20-30% higher then it is today
cost of living at an avg of +3% /yr means my bills have increased by at least 20% in that same time

6 yrs ago we could live within our means while paying down vehicle loans that we no longer have.

we were not dumb borrowers no ARM here. and no complaints with the rate we are paying.

dont see any new vehicles in the family future.

do see college payments coming up in the near term.  :nervous:

thats just where my family is at today. i'm not gonna blame anyone, not gonna tell my government to do something about it. we'll keep working hard and paying our bills, and try to keep the CC balances to a minimum.

I hear ya, Neal.  I think those who are able are just in "hunker down" mode right now and hoping brighter days are ahead.

I owe, I owe, it's off to work I go....
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

hunter

• Elite CVO Member
  • Have rifle, will travel

• CVO1: 2008 SERK, Black & Silver with RH TD
« Reply #319 on: September 18, 2008, 01:46:57 PM »

Since last October, my wife has got 25% pay cut and there is more to come.  Now I have to sell the house because we can't pay the mortgage and kids tuition any more even though it'll be $170k less than what it was 2 years ago.  I'm not even thinking of buying again for awhile (unfortunately selling low and when things get better, I have to buy high).  Actually, I can pay the mortgage, it's the property taxes that's killing me and we have what they call "rolling assessment" which means they raise our taxes multiple times a year even in this market.    :thumbsdown:

I'm the first one to say that living a life based on two income is not the smartest thing to do  :nixweiss:
Lack of money is the source of all evils.

hunter

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #320 on: September 18, 2008, 01:48:36 PM »

Next one to bite the dust (from Briefing.com):

MS Morgan Stanley: NY Times sources clarify statments made on MS, C (15.96 -5.79) -Update- 

NY Times reports an earlier version of an article which cited two sources who were said to have been briefed on a conversation in which John Mack, chief executive of Morgan Stanley, had told Vikrim Pandit, Citigroup's chief executive, that "we need a merger partner or we're not going to make it." On Thursday, Morgan Stanley vigorously denied that Mr. Mack had made the comment, as did Citigroup, which had declined to comment on Wednesday. The Times's two sources have since clarified their comments, saying that because they were not present during the discussions, they could not confirm that Mr. Mack had in fact made the statement. The Times should have asked Morgan Stanley for comment and should not have used the quotation without doing more to verify the sources' version of events.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #321 on: September 18, 2008, 01:49:40 PM »

I've always to try to live below my means...It ain't easy, doable not easy...

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #322 on: September 18, 2008, 02:50:39 PM »

Since I've resigned myself to being in debt until I die, like most of America, what I've always tried to do is have things where I don't have to worry about making the house payment (I'm fortunate to have low, consistant property tax).  Everything else that I owe for...I try to keep the debt low enough where I can liquidate and come out on the other side debt free, then regroup.  That's what I've been doing for the last few months.  Now just hoping for no other big surprises... :nervous:

Life changing events like divorce, losing jobs and having to take large decreases in pay, kinda have a way of messing up the best laid plans.  An economy in the pits doesn't help matters, even when there are two working.  Nearly double fuel costs, and the inherent increases in the cost of everything because of transportation costs, has everyone in a bad situation.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

hunter

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #323 on: September 18, 2008, 03:15:12 PM »

Finally a rally.   :bananarock: :apple: :carrot: :jalapeno: :cucumber: :pineapple: :pepper: :orange:

for now.  It helps with margin and maintenance calls.

hunter

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #324 on: September 18, 2008, 03:30:15 PM »

Ho^%^5 chit 42+ point swing on SKF.
high:154.77  low:111.92   :o

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #325 on: September 18, 2008, 03:30:48 PM »

cpr from insties...

9 1/2 Beers

• Blu
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #326 on: September 18, 2008, 03:32:30 PM »

no more shorts on the financials, big short sqezzzzz, mkt ralley's  :2vrolijk_21:

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #327 on: September 18, 2008, 03:33:34 PM »

No more naked's?

9 1/2 Beers

• Blu
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #328 on: September 18, 2008, 03:34:58 PM »

correct, no more, just came out a couple of min. ago

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #329 on: September 18, 2008, 03:37:12 PM »

Well, that what I get for napping....covered a bunch yesterday...
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 59

Page created in 0.186 seconds with 20 queries.