Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Fullsac 2" Cores  (Read 12608 times)

Guilty

• Got Dead?
  • Elite CVO Member
Re: Fullsac 2" Cores
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2008, 10:46:33 PM »

I removed the catalytic converter and installed the Fullsac 2" core this weekend and it sounds much better than stock, but not even close to the sound that I am used to hearing from V&H or Reinharts. I figure that I will keep these until the aftermarket companies come out with some true dual options....hopefully with a 4" exhaust.

bsquared62

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2008, 07:41:44 AM »

How much are the 2" cores?

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: '09 SE Road Glide
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2008, 07:51:29 AM »

Jim
Great work!  Sounds fantastic!  What about when your riding?  I swore I was not going to put loud pipes on this bike and at 1000 miles I am already getting weak.  Really like hearing the stereo at cruise, but man does that sound good. 
Now we need new dyno numbers Jim
Thanks again
Guppytrash

These pipes are not loud by Harley standards at all.  In fact, it's considerably quieter than my last bike.  They sound good to everyone that hears them and the rumble shakes the ground a bit when idling.  The baffle change made a huge improvement in sound quality and performance without interfering with the radio or my neighbors.  I can hear the radio just the same with these pipes as without.  On the highway the wind is much more of a problem than the pipes.  The sound comes out way behind the rider on these bikes when cruising.  I have zero problems with it being too loud even at high RPM's. 

sblair

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2008, 04:56:16 PM »

I agree with Jim;
  I installed the 1 3/4 and they have a some sound but less than what i expected.  I have recored fullsac's on my 06 and its louder.  Again could be the CAT.  I noticed it runs a little ruff at idle (dropped about 150 rpm) and my gas mileage dropped a couple mpg.  Looking at a super tuner if someone can recommend a new filter.  But the stock one should do the trick...I mean its a high flow .. :nixweiss:
CVO1-2009 Silver SERG
CVO2-2011 Rio Red RUSE

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2008, 05:09:21 PM »

I agree with Jim;
  I installed the 1 3/4 and they have a some sound but less than what i expected.  I have recored fullsac's on my 06 and its louder. 

I've been thinking about why they are quieter than we've been use to.  I believe it is the ton of insulation in the OEM pipe that is damping the noise.  We're exchanging the baffle with the Fullsac's, but in most cases we are leaving the insulation in the main pipe.  When I run the bike without the mufflers attached it sounds like a typical Harley with straight pipes (err..loud).  I bet if we remove the insulation from the pipe it would significantly increase the volume. 

Here's a pic of what I'm talking about:

bribe36

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SERG
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2008, 10:28:55 PM »

I've been thinking about why they are quieter than we've been use to.  I believe it is the ton of insulation in the OEM pipe that is damping the noise.  We're exchanging the baffle with the Fullsac's, but in most cases we are leaving the insulation in the main pipe.  When I run the bike without the mufflers attached it sounds like a typical Harley with straight pipes (err..loud).  I bet if we remove the insulation from the pipe it would significantly increase the volume. 

Here's a pic of what I'm talking about:

I've just had my SERG for a week now and I have to do something about the sound. JIM are you planning on removing the insulation? If so I'm eager to hear an updated sound clip

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2008, 10:40:52 PM »

I've just had my SERG for a week now and I have to do something about the sound. JIM are you planning on removing the insulation? If so I'm eager to hear an updated sound clip

I spoke with Steve today about that.  He said he believes it will sound better if I keep the insulation in the pipe.  He knows his stuff, so I'm sure he's right about that.   I am going to get a 2" core to compare with.  I'll give that one a try and publish the results. 

sblair

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2008, 03:56:12 PM »

Without the insulation it will probably give a metallic resonance which I really hate!   Still debating on the Super Tuner.  I think I will get it and run the standard map and then have it for when we really start to play.  Question remains on whether to replace the intake and whether to drill the CAT.  Anybody? 
CVO1-2009 Silver SERG
CVO2-2011 Rio Red RUSE

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2008, 04:35:33 PM »

Without the insulation it will probably give a metallic resonance which I really hate!   Still debating on the Super Tuner.  I think I will get it and run the standard map and then have it for when we really start to play.  Question remains on whether to replace the intake and whether to drill the CAT.  Anybody? 

I believe you are right about the metallic noise.  This basically what Steve said as well. 

A base map is a good start, but nothing will beat a good Dyno tune.  I started out at 78.3 HP & 90.9 TQ stock.  When I changed the baffles, removed the cat and applied a stock SERT basemap I got to 86.2 HP and 105.0 TQ.  We were tuning it yesterday on the Dyno and as of now I'm at 95.8 HP and 112.3 TQ. 

bsquared62

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2008, 05:44:50 PM »

So Jim, if I read this right, you replaced the cores with Fullsac 1 3/4" (about $100), drilled out the catalytic converter ($0), added a race tuner ($450), and tuned it (~$350?). You went from 78/90 and 95/105? That's a 21% increase in HP and 17% increase in torque. Seems like a really good use of the money ($800). Do I have that right?

bsquared62

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2008, 05:45:59 PM »

oops - 112 tq, not 105, that's 24%.

Guilty

• Got Dead?
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2008, 05:59:39 PM »

I believe you are right about the metallic noise.  This basically what Steve said as well. 

A base map is a good start, but nothing will beat a good Dyno tune.  I started out at 78.3 HP & 90.9 TQ stock.  When I changed the baffles, removed the cat and applied a stock SERT basemap I got to 86.2 HP and 105.0 TQ.  We were tuning it yesterday on the Dyno and as of now I'm at 95.8 HP and 112.3 TQ

Much better numbers! I will be ordering my Super SERT this weekend at the Midnight Madness annual 25% off sale Friday night at a local dealer. I plan to use a stock SERT basemap and hold out for true dual exhaust before I put it in the dyno though.

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2008, 08:17:03 PM »

Much better numbers! I will be ordering my Super SERT this weekend at the Midnight Madness annual 25% off sale Friday night at a local dealer. I plan to use a stock SERT basemap and hold out for true dual exhaust before I put it in the dyno though.

25% discount is awesome!  With a straight SERT basemap and the exhaust changes I was able to get 86.2 HP and 105.0 TQ.  You will probably get better if you change the header configuration.  Keep us posted. 

Iglide

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2008, 08:31:05 PM »

Yo sblair,
Weather permitting, I am planning on running a dyno on my SERG this weekend with the 2" Fullsac cores and the stock air box. The following weekend I will dyno again with the Heavy Breather. I want to work through this decision first, and then I will move on to other upgrades. That should answer your intake question.

I will drill the cats regardless and install a SERT map, just to make sure all is well. That will be the third dyno.

I believe that the noise level you hear is related to the cats acting as a muffler of sorts. And once they are out the DB level will improve. I would guess they would be louder with the 2" cores compared with the 1.75", not sure.
After all, with the cats out it is a straight shot, right??

My experience in the past with V&H bigshots, involved the stock baffles. They were a bit loud for me. So, I ordered the V&H quiet baffles which did knock the sound down... maybe 10 db. Guess what, to me, they looked like the stock baffles with insulation wrapped around them to a depth of about 1/2".

I have run loud baffles (Big City Thunder) on previous bikes and it punishes other bikers when you run round them, I really don't want to do that again.

Hope this helps
The impossible just takes a little longer

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2008, 11:18:14 PM »

Jim

I know most of us never have enough HP or TQ, but if I can get similar results I would be very happy.

I did not know there is baseline (maps?programs?) downloads for SERT's.  I was always under the impression you needed a dyno to use the SERT.

Is there a post that goes into that at all?  I would like to get more info.

Thanks again, I am riding your coat tails on your mods and the info is greatly appreciated.

Any chance we can see the dyno maps?  Are there any big dips or are they pretty good lines?

By the way it sounds like there a few of us in the Chicago area, count me in for any future rides.
I am in Saint Charles.

Cheers Guppy
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 20 queries.