Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: 251 CAMS WHAT COMPRESSION?  (Read 14031 times)

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
Re: 251 CAMS WHAT COMPRESSION?
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2008, 09:27:23 PM »

2 comments come to mind,

Just because you can flow more air doesnt mean it is beneficial, if you dont have the velocity to match the setup extra air will only worsen the situation until you get to a point if you get there that the heads can use the air correctly.  Usually you see something like this in a bike that is sluggish in the bottom and only runs when it is at wide open throttle when the motor can finally get to use the air.

If you are not at 70 percent duty cycle on your existing injectors there is no reason to go larger.   So what percentage of duty cycle are you at ?

Harry stop with the BS.

First off the 50 mm will work fine. The motor is 110 ci. The engine will only take in so much air. What it takes in is what you will set you map too. Very simple. If the motor needs more air it will have it and if it needs more fuel the tuner will give it. And how in the hell is someone who is trying to figure out what to do on his build know his percentage duty cycle!!!! If the builder doesn't know then he will have a problem. All you had to say was WITH YOUR BUILD YOU WON'T NEED LARGER INJECTORS!!!!!  He is not looking to run a set of TC 640 cams or a very hot 110 motor!!!!

Tell Wes and Pammy I said hi!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2008, 08:31:46 PM »

Harry stop with the BS.

First off the 50 mm will work fine. The motor is 110 ci. The engine will only take in so much air. What it takes in is what you will set you map too. Very simple. If the motor needs more air it will have it and if it needs more fuel the tuner will give it. And how in the hell is someone who is trying to figure out what to do on his build know his percentage duty cycle!!!! If the builder doesn't know then he will have a problem. All you had to say was WITH YOUR BUILD YOU WON'T NEED LARGER INJECTORS!!!!!  He is not looking to run a set of TC 640 cams or a very hot 110 motor!!!!

Tell Wes and Pammy I said hi!

Be Safe

THE DAWG

Mikey you can call them yourself I am sure they would love to hear from you.   As far as the heads there have been quite a few that have had really poor velocity and adding more air to them may hurt the bottom and mid although it helped make better numbers on the top end where the heads can finally utilize the air.  That doesn't mean you should upgrade just because you get a better top end number where you probably aren't riding very often.   Dance around it all you like, but just going bigger doesn't mean it is worth while.   You are right I should have told him to just ask his builder to have his builder to check the duty cycle before upgrading. 

Now go call those fine folks that did some headwork for ya  ::) 
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

kiwi

• Full CVO Member
  • Every day above ground is a good day.

• CVO1: SERK3
    • CVO2: Ultra Limited
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2008, 03:00:18 AM »

I had 251's and domed pistons for 10.5-1 compression ran way to hot and pinged like crazy. I would stay with lower compression and flat top pistons on a bagger especially riding 2-up and loaded. Good luck in whatever you choose.
Am interested to know what octane the fuel was you useed in this engine?
Kiwi 8)
Kiwi 8)

skyhook

• Senior CVO Member
  • ride 'em don't hide 'em

• CVO1: '08 fxdse2
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2008, 07:29:57 PM »

tuning becomes critical with 251 cams above about 10.2...my 251 build was about 10.8 compression, .030" head gasket, bassani roadrage exhaust, custom mapped power commander, and an oil cooler...made 105hp/115tq sae ('05 road king) with the stock throttle body...ran fine at sea level on 93 octane
08 fxdse2, r&r heads, 257 cam, hpi 55mm t/body, supermeg
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 20 queries.