Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Riding blind in a downpour  (Read 6768 times)

Plasmaman

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHRSEI2
    • Metal Art at The Wells Company
Riding blind in a downpour
« on: October 05, 2008, 09:32:51 PM »

Need some tips on how to increase visibility and safety when in the rain. On the return trip from Arkansas we saw a storm coming so stopped and suited up. When it hit, the windshield was more like a curtain, could see the bike tail lights in front but that is about all. Abby had rain on the outside, inside, face shield and eyeglasses so made the obvious choice and pulled over to the shoulder. We cleaned up as best as possible to once again have a safe view of the road before proceeding. I am asking if any of you have ideas of how to maintain proper visual contact with the road, traffic and fellow riders in the rain. I had rain X on my clearview shield but it did not help. Have heard that waxing the shield will help. Any tips. This was not a safe moment.

Thanks,
Plasmaman

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Riding blind in a downpour
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 09:37:52 PM »

That's the biggest reason to be able to ride looking just over the shield.  Never see through it in moderate showers or rain. 

Visibility is also why you hope to be able to bail before it's torrential.  When it's raining too hard you almost have to keep going.  Trucks will never see you just stopped on the side of the road.  Or at least not until it's too late. 

When it's raining so hard they can't see the lines the road gets real wide for them.  Find tail lights, tuck in and make the best of it.  Just like getting caught in heavy fog (except without getting pelted by the rain).

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008, 09:42:19 PM »

You're not looking through the windshield, I assume...that is the first no, no.  A good wax or polish on the shield does help some, as does a full face helmet.  But, if it's that bad, pulling over is probably the best idea, and not just pulling over, but take an exit ramp and get OFF the road.  If I see someone in my mirrors, I flash my brake lights several time to make sure they see me.  Other than that, I keep a reference point of the yellow/white line, and a tailight in front of me.  Toad stranglers on a bike are just no fun, regardless.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2008, 09:47:56 PM »

this is a case of situation dictates your actions. if your moving it may be safer to stay moving then try and get over to the shoulder. if you can be sure you can get safely out of the flow of traffic then consider that option
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

T MAC

• Elite CVO Member
  • FREEDOM

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 - B/O
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2008, 09:50:36 PM »

I just rode back up from Oregon yesterday and had some bad weather myself.  When it rains that hard I get off the road and wait it out.  My concern is the other drivers.  It is already hard enough for drivers to see a bike in good weather in bad weather the chances are reduced more.  It always amazes me how when I am riding in the rain and keeping a safe distance from the car in front of me some azz ho*e passes me and pulls right in front of me, the spray off the road is blinding.

I recently bought the orange reflective vest from HD that I wear in bad weather also.  It is BRIGHT orange and really helps with being seen, it cost about $50 I know that there are cheaper ones out there though.

I put Glare on my entire bike from the windshield to the chrome and the water beads off nicely.  I have one helmet that has a faceshield on it.  I put foam along the top of the faceshield to close that small gap at the top this keeps water from getting into the inside of the faceshield.    
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2008, 09:56:44 PM »

I would agree with Don on this. It is safer sometimes to stay the course and continue (speed) if possible.

I think that I have heard of more riders getting hurt being stopped or at a very slow speed than maintaining speeds.

I found myself in trouble this year heading to Myrtle Beach and we ran into a downpour for hours. We saw a 4x4 spin out in font of us from

hydraplaning and hit a guardrail and a group of riders got creamed sitting at a red light by a truck that never saw them or the light.

I ran with a 3/4 helmet and a full flip up face shield for which water ran down both the inside and outside,

but because it was open at the bottom (not a full helmet)

I was able to keep the fogging to a minimum (which can be as big of problem as the water is)

I also think staying dry and comfortable is an issue always and that is extremely hard to do in a driving rain....

I do not particularly like to drive in a downpour, but I must admit I find it exhilarating. Maybe it is the thrill of overcoming adversity, but it has always

been exciting (maybe I am just sick?)

« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 10:02:21 PM by FLHTCUSE3 »
Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

Bungy

• Senior CVO Member
  • Keep your stick on the ice
    • AB

• CVO1: '08 SEUC annie
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2008, 10:08:57 PM »

I had the same issue riding the 401 freeway (4 lanes each way) into Toronto last spring. I concentrated on keeping a transport truck in sight ahead of me. There was also an SUV that stayed about 100 yds behind me & kept people off my azz - I owe him (or her) a few.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

BIGDOG

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM#9.51 and a half .3
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2008, 10:15:45 PM »

My suggestion is ride in the tire track of the car or truck ahead of you and be looking over the shield. Most riders I see have a windshield that is to tall . It should stop about mouth high at tallest and will still pass air over you but fogging and rain won't hamper your sight.
If your not liven on the edge , your taking up to much space!

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2008, 10:55:28 PM »

We've got lots of bridges in the Buckeye and I use them. When it's raining to hard too see I'll wait out the heavy ones. And we always get behind the guardrail. When we're moving in the rain I try to stay in the tire track in front of me and I carry a towel to wipe my shield, glasses, eyes, etc. 

Gone Fishin'

• The Director
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 FLHTKSE Limited®, Black Sparkle and 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Ultra Classic®, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate, # 110 of 992
    • CVO2: 2007 FLHRSE3 Screamin' Eagle® Road King®, Black Ice, 1 of 1325
    • CVO3: 2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red and 2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine, 1 of 316
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2008, 04:57:20 AM »

Need some tips on how to increase visibility and safety when in the rain. On the return trip from Arkansas we saw a storm coming so stopped and suited up. When it hit, the windshield was more like a curtain, could see the bike tail lights in front but that is about all. Abby had rain on the outside, inside, face shield and eyeglasses so made the obvious choice and pulled over to the shoulder. We cleaned up as best as possible to once again have a safe view of the road before proceeding. I am asking if any of you have ideas of how to maintain proper visual contact with the road, traffic and fellow riders in the rain. I had rain X on my clearview shield but it did not help. Have heard that waxing the shield will help. Any tips. This was not a safe moment.

Thanks,
Plasmaman

I know many have posted some of these comments already in this post, however they are very important to me, so I offer this list:

a.) You need to be able to look OVER your windscreen.
b.) Open up your helmet visor. I know it's not comfortable, but you need every little bit of sight.
c.) Increase your safety distance.
d.) Do not be afraid to go fast. Bike tires are much better in rain than many think. If you are too slow, it is often more of a safety issue.
e.) In bad visibility turn your flashers on. It sure helps.
f.) If you have a safety vest, put that on. Anything that makes you look "bigger" is helpful.
g.) If you need to stop, specifically at night, never stop on the road, or on the side. Get off the road into a service or parking area. Use your flashers.
h.) If it is not an option to get off the road into a service or parking area, don't park under an overpass. Just go past the overpass and get as far to the right edge as possible, then walk back to the cover, best behind the guardrail. Keep your flashers on your bike on, if the battery will support them.
i.) If you get cold, make a rest stop for sure. Being cold decreases your ability to handle your bike.
j.) If you use a GPS device with maps, set it to a scale to use it to help you predict the upcoming road.
k.) If you can maintain your safety distance, it may be a good idea to follow a well lit large vehicle (coach or truck).

Ride safely,
Louis
« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 03:51:30 PM by Louis »

1914 10E, Grey
1956 FLH Custom, Candy Orange
1988 FXRS Custom, "S.O.A."
2000 FLSTF Custom Fat Boy, "Jumpin' Jack Flash"
2000 FXSTS Custom Springer Softail, Grey
2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine
2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red
2005 FLHTCSE2, -9/07
2007 FLHRSE3, Black Ice
2008 FLHTCUSE3, -7/08
2009 FLHTCUSE4, -4/10
2010 FLHTCUSE5-BLK, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate
2012 VRSCDX ANV, Brilliant Silver Pearl
2016 FLHTKSE, Black Sparkle
2016 XL1200CX Roadster, Vivid Black
2018 FLFBS ANV
CVO 1480 IBA 26678

BIGDOG

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM#9.51 and a half .3
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2008, 10:25:30 AM »

Louis - Great advise ,all of it!!!!!
If your not liven on the edge , your taking up to much space!

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2008, 10:27:43 AM »

I wear a half helmet and use double lens ski google and never have issue with the fogging or visiblity.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2008, 11:05:29 AM »

Louis, great post.

I have a half helmet and view just above the wind shield which is perfect.  Only problem is when it rains hard the wind  pushes the rain up the wind shield, off the top and right into my face.  The couple times it's happened where I couldn't do anything for an hour or two I had to lean forward so the water running down my face didn't continue down my neck and into my rain suit.  I've never wanted to wipe my face with a towel so badly in my life.  The next time it happens, I'll tuck one under my thigh.  Even if it's soaked it's still a relief to get that water off once in a while.
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2008, 12:03:27 PM »

worse ride I ever had was at night, Rt 81 in the Virginia mountains, torrential downpour, couldn't see chit, solid sheet of water on the outside, fog on the inside, and coming up from the bottom..

Had to turn down the mirrors to keep from being blinded by the people behind and was literally driving using the reflectors in the road way.

Did that for awhile until I could find an exit ramp to pull off.

But mostly the reason I stopped was because of the lightning dancing all around the mountain top.

I have since tried fog proof goggles - doesn't work. Rain X doesn't work, anti fog for the shields - doesn't work.

Service rep at the local dealer recommended some type of anti fog that you put on the inside of the face shield (like a NASCAR tear off). Haven't tried it yet.

Didn't put my boot gators on and they were full of water by the time I stopped.

Only reason I didn't stop for the night was I had a group waiting for my arrival and I had no cell service, then my battery died so I couldn't get any phone numbers out to advise them of my whereabouts.

Rolled into the hotel at midnight, soaked and tired.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2008, 04:30:56 PM »

We've got lots of bridges in the Buckeye and I use them. When it's raining to hard too see I'll wait out the heavy ones. And we always get behind the guardrail. When we're moving in the rain I try to stay in the tire track in front of me and I carry a towel to wipe my shield, glasses, eyes, etc. 

Ditto!  I have rode in hard rain and ain't gonna do it unless I'm somehow forced to do it again.  I have spent extended periods (hour or more) stopped under a bridge.  Always get as far away from the road as possible and then get away from the bike (behind guardrail).  I've actually taken a few short naps waiting for the rain to let up.

Best case is to find a convenience store or the like to wait it out. 
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.199 seconds with 21 queries.