Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Leaking after 0905 campaign  (Read 5228 times)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: Leaking after 0905 campaign
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2008, 11:37:19 PM »

Well here is the latest...HD Customer Service wanted the dealer to put some dye in the oil to see where it is leaking, so we did it. Now they are advising me to let the dealer tear it down to see if the cases are defective. If the cases are OK they want the dealer to put it back together using sealant, which I would guess is silicone. This will be the fourth set of gaskets this bike has had counting the factory gaskets. It has always leaked in the same area of the rear cylinder. I am worried about how long the sealant will last.  They tell me if the cases are bad they will either replace the cases or send a crate motor. They will look at the cost of each and than make a decision. I have talked to the dealer about when they tear it down, if they can remove the cylinders and leave the pistons in them. (remove wrist pins) They say they can no problem. This is very frustrating because finally my motor is quiet and has no oil carryover int the air filter, besides the fact that it is so inconvenient. They made it clear to me this time if my piston noise comes back they will consider it normal and do nothing about it. I was pretty happy with how they took care of me the last time it was in but now their tune has changed. This bike has around 8900 miles on it and has leaked since around 2500 miles. This just does not seem right. Any input would be appreciated.

You've been screwed around long enough! They owe ya a new motor! I wouldn't take anything less!!!

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

TORKER07

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2008, 02:34:05 AM »

I had my gaskets replaced about 10,000 miles ago for the second time. The new dealer that I chose did a great job and the motor has been dry all summer. Just made an appointment for next week for the "enhancement" program. Since last fix I think I have developed a knocking sound when it gets warm also. We now have a total of 20K on the clock.
The last time they did the head gasket fix they also replaced the rear cylinder but not the rings, at least there were no rings listed on the parts list. Now I'm not a HD tech but I learned a long long time ago that when you tear down an engine you replace the oil. Not the MoCo, they charged me 100.00 for an oil change and didn't even change the primary or trans oil.  HD = hundred dollars

I'm hoping that this enhancement fix will eliminate the knocking sound, crank bolt, which I assume is the compensator bolt/nut. I get a metallic slap sound when I hit a bump which sounds like the primary chain slapping, who knows. I wish I had the adjustable chain like my 2000 model did. It was much easier to inspect the chain.

All in all we love our bike, it has far more accessories than a stock bike and overall appearance is awesome. 

P.S. Went to Maggie Valley a week after CVO Group and the Hotel still had the welcome sign up for CVO Harley. Maybe next year we'll get a chance to meet everyone there.

Tork

hdctss

• Senior CVO Member
    • GA

• CVO1: 2018 FLHTKSE Anniversary
    • CVO2: 2014 FLHTKSE, 2013 FLHTCUSE8 - both traded
    • CVO3: 2009 FLHTCUSE4, 2007 FLHTCUSE2 - both traded
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2008, 12:13:02 PM »

you are never going to believe this but I too had a metallic slap, that I had originally attributed to the primary chain...it turned out to be the front motor mount was loose...I guess the mechanic loosened it when he worked on the bike and never retorqued it after the job was done...you might want to check it...it was the two small bolts that hold down the mount that were loose
2018 FLHTKSE Anniversary Odyssey Blue
2014 FLHTKSE Jupiter Blue and Wicked Sapphire with Dragontail Graphics (traded)
2013 FLHTCUSE8 Silver/Slate and Titanium (traded)
2009 FLHTCUSE4 Silver/Blue (traded)
2007 FLHTCUSE2 Candy Red (traded)

alejandro

• Junior CVO Member
  • Freedom isn't free, but God's love is!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2008, 01:01:38 PM »

hey fellas i'm getting that metal clap sound too. could you tell me where the front motor mounts are at? i have 16k miles on the bike. i ride it long and hard, but as how to fix it, i am a total idiot.
Freedom isn't free, but God's love is!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2008, 01:17:20 PM »

............................I'm hoping that this enhancement fix will eliminate the knocking sound, crank bolt, which I assume is the compensator bolt/nut. I get a metallic slap sound when I hit a bump which sounds like the primary chain slapping, who knows. I wish I had the adjustable chain like my 2000 model did. It was much easier to inspect the chain.

Tork

Tork, the crankcase bolt is what gets changed, not the compensator.  The new one has a seal under the head to stop oil leaks many folks have had from the top center case bolt.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2008, 09:14:11 PM »

hey fellas i'm getting that metal clap sound too. could you tell me where the front motor mounts are at? i have 16k miles on the bike. i ride it long and hard, but as how to fix it, i am a total idiot.

The front motor mount is on the bottom front of the frame, under the oil filter. You'll see the rubber block in between the metal attachments for it. These should be checked by all before assuming motor problems. They do wear and/or break! ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

TORKER07

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2008, 01:36:43 AM »

Tork, the crankcase bolt is what gets changed, not the compensator.  The new one has a seal under the head to stop oil leaks many folks have had from the top center case bolt.

Jerry

Thanks Jerry,
I wondered what that was, I thought I read somewhere here that the comp bolt needed to be shaved down around .030" or a washer of some sort, not sure though.

Tork

TORKER07

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2008, 01:41:20 AM »

The front motor mount is on the bottom front of the frame, under the oil filter. You'll see the rubber block in between the metal attachments for it. These should be checked by all before assuming motor problems. They do wear and/or break! ;)

Hoist! 8)

Good point Hoist, Thanks,  I think I'll have a look tomorrow. I'll let ya'll know what I find out.

-Tork

alejandro

• Junior CVO Member
  • Freedom isn't free, but God's love is!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2008, 12:39:23 PM »

Hoist! 8)

thanks hoist...i'll check it today!
Freedom isn't free, but God's love is!
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 25 queries.