Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: MAXI FUSE WARNING  (Read 6745 times)

monorat

• Junior CVO Member
MAXI FUSE WARNING
« on: July 27, 2005, 05:43:29 PM »

To all my friends-- CHECK YOUR MAXI FUSE.  When I brought the SEEG home the first night I read the manual and decided to locate the fuses just in case I needed to replace them. I never could find the Maxi Fuse under the left cover as in the manual. So I looked under the right cover, nothing their eather. So I thought well maybe with the alarm and all the other electric dodads it was behind something ?? WRONG.

This last Friday night while on vacation in the bay area I was in the #2 lane on the freeway next to Oakland stadium, at about 75 MPH with all the other traffic and my bike goes completly dead. And I mean completly--engine stops, no lights or any electrical function at all. So I hit the cluth to maintain speed and try to get over to the shoulder on this dark section of road with cars passing me on both sides at 80 MPH. I was just missed by one car who locked em up to avoid me but made it to the shoulder.

The bike and every function was dead. I tried the key fob, nothing. I looked at all the fuses under the left cover, all good. I removed the seat to check the battery cables, both tight. And I could not again locate the freaken Maxi Fuse. So I call the HOG roadside assistance number. They were great, called CHP and called a motorcycle transport company. You get $100.00 worth of tow but he charged $230.00 and would only take cash for the $130.00 extra. Thank God I had the cash. He picked up the bike and stated he would deliver it to Bob Dron Oakland HD the next day.

At Oakland HD the next day they find that my Maxi Fuse and its holder/connector are wedged between my frame and the drive belt. The outer edge of the drive belt was freyed and the Maxi Fuse and holder worn clean through. They had a Maxi Fuse but no holder/harness for it and the Motor Company stated it would take 3 weeks to order it.

So we put the connector back together with tape, plug in the new fuse and I ride home (400+ miles) with a freyed belt. I made it and contacted Carson City HD about the problem. They to can't get the connector for three weeks and said they can't get one from another dealer or off an instock bike or the Motor Company won't repay them as a warranty !! So I'll get the belt replaced (they do have that) and while they install it I'll go to Radio Shack I guess. What a crock !! You would think that when you have to ride 150 miles just to get to the dealer they or the Company could do something !!

Anyway CHECK YOUR MAXI FUSE--IS IT ATTACHED PROPERLY ??  Use to think "HD" stood for "hundred dollars", now I think its for "HASSLES DEJOUR"

Ride on  [smiley=beerchug.gif]
1972 HD 250MX
2005 FLHTCSE2, Yellow, Freedom Pipes, SE air cleaner, power commander, Freedom/Andrews gear drive cams, Saddleman custom seat, XM radio, Freedom shorty antenna, 12.5 HD 440's.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
Re: MAXI FUSE WARNING
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2005, 07:11:07 PM »

Thank God you were on that 'bright banana' ....   I bet the cars could see you a lot better than if you'd been on a dark colored bike w/o lights.  Where is the Maxi-Fuse suppose to be located?  I guess it would be in the same place on the '04 SEEGs too.  Scary story, but I'm glad you shared it with us.    [smiley=shocked2.gif]   spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

05yellowse

• Junior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2005, 09:08:37 PM »

I think I might look into going into the bike towing business.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2005, 11:45:30 PM »

Monorat;
Glad you made it through the ordeal ok!. If your ever in this area again and need assistance or just wanna stop by...give me a call, I'll PM you with my number. I live about 3 minutes from the colisium.

jmorton10

• Full CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2005, 09:06:56 AM »

Where is the Maxi-Fuse suppose to be located?   [smiley=shocked2.gif]   spyder

Under the left cover attached to the fuse block.

~John

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2005, 10:14:20 AM »

They charged you $230 to tow that bike not even a mile!  That's bull chit and and I think Harley Road Service should be notified of that.  That can be a scary area to be broke down in, too.  To bad you didn't have Jim's number when it happened.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2005, 11:21:57 AM »

Anybody carry a spare Maxi Fuse?

Laker

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2005, 11:35:51 AM »

They charged you $230 to tow that bike not even a mile!  That's bull chit and and I think Harley Road Service should be notified of that.  That can be a scary area to be broke down in, too.  To bad you didn't have Jim's number when it happened.

$230 is absurd. What do they expect someone to do when they are broken down on the side of the road? Are we supposed to call 3 companies and get quotes? Or you could pull a line from one of those insurance commercials "Could you give me your quote and the rates of 3 of your competitors?" Imagine the look on the truck drivers face if you asked him that one.  [smiley=nervous.gif]

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2005, 05:58:57 PM »

Yeap  [smiley=beerchug.gif]

jmorton10

• Full CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2005, 11:56:28 AM »

I have two extras in my left saddle bag.  I learned my lesson after one blew out on me for no apparent reason.

~John

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2005, 12:37:22 PM »

Worth carrying.  Especially when you can get 'em at an auto parts store for next to nothing.

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2005, 02:46:01 PM »

Made me a believer.  Stopped by the auto supply store on the way back from lunch.

Laker

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2005, 03:07:10 PM »

What is the amp on the Maxi fuse that our bikes need?

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SESG
    • CVO2: 2005 seeg banana
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2005, 04:01:53 PM »

thanks - it made me track it down and ck it out. looks like its not attached that well to fuse holder. i also found that my battery cables were loose when i hooked up the connector for my heated vest-the more you know the easier it is

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2005, 10:59:13 PM »

Yes - one Maxi, two 10 amp, two 15 amp, one 2 amp.  All in a small plastic box which is stuck to the interior of one  of the saddlebag lids.  
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.217 seconds with 24 queries.