Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8  All

Author Topic: after the install of the recall upgrade kit on a 110 CVO  (Read 15357 times)

AZSSE

Re: after the install of the recall upgrade kit on a 110 CVO
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2008, 09:41:16 PM »

I had the 110 recall done about 2 months ago, and I knew I was hearing a different noise than before. I get a clicking noise, kind of like the old tappet noise from my 400" Pontiac firebird, which was known for knocking the top off of the rods. I didn't really know if the noise was new, or was always there, but unnoticed, since I recently started riding without my helmet so I would look cool. I get it at about 60-65 mph and 2300 rpm in 6th. The next time I go in for a service I'm going to ask about it. This is the very reason I like this site so much - it lets everyone know about all the problems,and all the solutions to things that I doubt anyone would even ask about if it wasn't for this site. This is why I donate and why I would encourage everyone to donate. I know that whatever I give, I'll get 100 times the value back.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2008, 09:35:45 PM »

Black is more of an indicator of soot from the combustion process, not metal.  Most metal particles in these engines are either aluminum or steel, neither is black in color.  Also, some brands of motor oil start out much darker than others due to differences in additives, and will get much darker very rapidly in use.  Don't worry about the oil getting dark, all oil I've ever used or seen does the same thing.  On a positive note, the dark color makes it easier to read the dipstick.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2008, 09:40:30 PM »

Oil that has metal in it - whether it is aluminum, steel, copper - will reflect back at you in direct light.  It will have a "metal flake" look to it, sorta like metal flake paint does...  Just black without flake in it is likely not a problem...   :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

napalm

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2008, 08:55:07 AM »

Noticed yesterday I have an oil leak at the rear rocker arm base....it never stops!!!!

Have had two 110 motors, wouldn't buy a third (no stupid light on)  and still have not received the letter and book everyone is talking about!!!!

napalm
napalm

BamaSE

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2008, 09:51:12 AM »

I had the engine upgrade kit installed and have put about 500 miles. I now have a ticking coming from the top end, have been back to the dealer 3 times. Each time they have a different answer  1) I wasn't riding the bike right (not keeping the engine at right RPM levels). Checked the manual (no reference to RPM level but recommended shift speeds per gear)   2) Took manual to dealer and they said the manual is wrong. So I rode per manual and never got over 2600 RPM, dealer says engine should be driven and shifted at 3000 to 3500 RPM. So I rode to their specs and never got out of 3rd gear until over 50 MPH. I'm not riding a two-stroke dirt bike but a Touring bike. On the freeway the speed limit is 60 MPH and shifting into 4th gear takes the RPM's to 2500.   3) Had mechanic who did engine upgrade ride bike and he said he didn't hear anything but maybe a transmission whine. I round tripped this bike to Sturgis and never had this ticking sound and as a truck driver for over 30 years I know when there is a change in sound to an engine.     

Has anyone else experienced this??

YES!! Here is another noise report.  Bought my '07 Ultra-SE2 in July '08 with only 650 miles on it.  Rode it for 600 miles before noticing oil at base of rear cylinder.  Took it to the dealer and they said they would replace the lower o-ring gasket.  Went to pick it up and they told me that there was a factory recall/upgrade for the 110 heads and that they had done the replacement.  They never did tell me exactly what got swapped out.  Anyway, now I definitely have noises that were not there before.  But since I had so few miles on the bike and the 110 engine to compare to, I was not certain that it was not "normal" to the beast.  (Traded up (?) from a '95 Electra Glide Classic that was perfect!) Below 2200 RPM the heads have no noticeable noise.  At exactly 2250 I have a ticking/tapping noise that starts.  It stays fairly constant up thru about 2750.  At 2800 it changes to a harder, much more solid tapping that gets loudest at 3000 before backing off slightly.  Have not had time to return to dealer. 

In the old days I would have said it needed a valve clearance adjustment but this thing doesn't have anything to adjust.  All the valve lash is taken up by the hydraulic lifters.  Right? 

Here are some specific questions for anybody who has time and knowledge.

1.  Has anybody had this noise that got it FIXED?  If so how? 

2.  Exactly what parts are swapped out in head recall? and What did they change in the design?

Something inside is not happy and I don't want to have to wait until it breaks to find out what was wrong all the time.

I'm still under warranty but not for long.

Tapping in Alabama!

Added 11-03-08

Follow thread 12405 from Chief   "Do you rat-a-tat-tat-tat" 
Sounds like the noise problem may be intake valves hitting rocker box cover and/or push rod length.
Good info.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 07:00:12 PM by BamaSE »

PAPA T

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FXDSE2
    • CVO2: Not CVO 99FXSTS
    • CVO3: NOT CVO 83 Ironhead & 98 Sportys
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2008, 04:19:57 AM »

Taking mine in for 2500 mile service and MOCO head gasket replacement Wednesday evening. (Supposed to rain Thursday.....lol)   
  Mine has definite "Tappet" noise at 3k rpm in all gears. When I am just cruising at that rpm in any gear it is LOUD!
  The last thing I road was a Panhead so I really have no reference for the 110 but gonna ask them to explain it to me.

It'll feel better when it quits hurting!!!

art2001

« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2008, 07:18:38 PM »

surprise!!!!!!!!  :nixweiss:
Just got notification from the dealer that they just got a service bulletin on the ticking sound. The one they said they couldn't hear and it was normal for the 110. I haven't had time to get there and talk to them about the fix. Hopping to do so tomarrow. Will let you know what they say.
02 FLSTCI
07 FLHTCUSE2

Billy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2007 SERK
    • CVO2: 2014 SERK
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2008, 09:29:36 PM »

Please let us know if there is a # to go with the recall My dealer also says normal  like every other problem until someone finds theanswer. Thanks Billy
2014 SERK Tribal Orange Wild one 501 apes Powder coated gloss black, Mustang Seat with backrest, King tour pack with smoked lights, LED aux lights, CD Dynamic front ringz, CD custom license plate with LED turns and brake light, Zumo 660 mounted on bar, Klock Werks 17 inch Flare windshield, Saddle bag guards, Added LED turn indicators in handle bar cover, Engine guard foot pegs

tennisman

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: '08 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: '96 Heritage Softail Classic
    • CVO3: '14 Indian Chief Vintage
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2008, 10:23:11 PM »

Hmmm...I have an 08 Ultra SE, Stage I, Rinehart TDs, SERT - I have received the upgrade offer letter and the book from the MoCo and my dealer has ordered the "upgrade" kit.  My dilemma is, especially after reading all this, that I have 7.5K miles and have no leaks, except I get some oil back thru the air cleaner that wets the air filter - had to clean the air filter once since new) and my engine is quite quiet.  I hear some general noise but nothing unusual for an air-cooled, aluminum block motor (as a matter of fact, it is quieter than I expected after renting 88 CID Ultras previously).
So, do I let the dealer open up a leak-free, quiet motor this winter or tell him to sit on the parts for now???

T-man

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2008, 11:35:35 PM »

Just got notification from the dealer that they just got a service bulletin on the ticking sound. The one they said they couldn't hear and it was normal for the 110. I haven't had time to get there and talk to them about the fix. Hopping to do so tomarrow. Will let you know what they say.

Yes, inquiring minds want to know!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 11:39:01 PM by LRebel »

BamaSE

« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2008, 12:11:56 AM »

Update to my last post.  Back to the dealer today.  Service manager took the bike out (07 CUSE).  I had told him exactly how to duplicate the noises.  He rides for a while comes back and says ..... (are you sitting down for this?)  that he thinks I have an EXHAUST LEAK from the front jug! :huepfenlol2:  It was all I could do to keep a straight face.  He says they want to get it up on the rack to check it out before he does anything else.  Taking it back tomorrow for more shop time.  And just for some more humor, I mentioned that my heated grips hardly had any warm much less heat.  He told me to "wear heated gloves!"!!  :o I kid you not.  That's a quote!

Wow, would SERIOUSLY like any information on a service bulletin you can get about head noise.

I'll mention the possibility of a service bulletin tomorrow and see if my guy can find anything.

johnchalker

• Senior CVO Member
  • The Lord will Fight for you,you need only be Still

• CVO1: flhxse cvo street glide
    • CVO2: Flstnse
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2008, 09:14:23 AM »

I got a call from my dealer yesterday,my 08 cvo glide duracell went in for the recall on Monday, and they say that part of the recall is to check the barrells and mine needs new ones.The only problem is that the parts are on back order and they cant give me a time scale but they think about 8 weeks and I cant have the bike as the engine is in bits.I am so glad that i waited for the season to come to an end and I am not missing any days riding.

ice6900

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: fxstsse 07
    • CVO2: (non cvo) fxdl customised
    • CVO3: (custom)arlen ness 1914 flat trak replica
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2008, 10:54:21 AM »

that really sucks John, wouldnt want mine opened up for 8weeks. What is ur dealers storage facilities like; spacious warm dry heated like ur garage at home, over crowded outside but under a roof like mine was stored at the dealer last winter?
I would go there 2morrow to c exactly where and how its stored, maybe take ur own motorcycle cover there, to try to avoid unnescessary scratches.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2008, 01:32:59 PM »

Black is more of an indicator of soot from the combustion process, not metal.  Most metal particles in these engines are either aluminum or steel, neither is black in color.  Also, some brands of motor oil start out much darker than others due to differences in additives, and will get much darker very rapidly in use.  Don't worry about the oil getting dark, all oil I've ever used or seen does the same thing.  On a positive note, the dark color makes it easier to read the dipstick.

Jerry
Running too rich maybe.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Gone Fishin'

• The Director
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 FLHTKSE Limited®, Black Sparkle and 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Ultra Classic®, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate, # 110 of 992
    • CVO2: 2007 FLHRSE3 Screamin' Eagle® Road King®, Black Ice, 1 of 1325
    • CVO3: 2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red and 2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine, 1 of 316
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2008, 01:56:55 PM »

that really sucks John, wouldnt want mine opened up for 8weeks. What is ur dealers storage facilities like; spacious warm dry heated like ur garage at home, over crowded outside but under a roof like mine was stored at the dealer last winter?
I would go there 2morrow to c exactly where and how its stored, maybe take ur own motorcycle cover there, to try to avoid unnescessary scratches.

Like this?  :-[

Luckily it was only two weeks until the parts got it ...

Ride safely,
Louis

1914 10E, Grey
1956 FLH Custom, Candy Orange
1988 FXRS Custom, "S.O.A."
2000 FLSTF Custom Fat Boy, "Jumpin' Jack Flash"
2000 FXSTS Custom Springer Softail, Grey
2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine
2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red
2005 FLHTCSE2, -9/07
2007 FLHRSE3, Black Ice
2008 FLHTCUSE3, -7/08
2009 FLHTCUSE4, -4/10
2010 FLHTCUSE5-BLK, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate
2012 VRSCDX ANV, Brilliant Silver Pearl
2016 FLHTKSE, Black Sparkle
2016 XL1200CX Roadster, Vivid Black
2018 FLFBS ANV
CVO 1480 IBA 26678
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8  All

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 21 queries.