Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: ThunderMax or Daytona Twin Tec  (Read 7422 times)

JMS

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FXSTSSE3 Black and Green
ThunderMax or Daytona Twin Tec
« on: October 25, 2008, 12:17:45 PM »

:help: :help: :help: :help: :help:

ThunderMax or Daytona,
Is anyone using these systems,
I have a pretty solid understanding of the narrow band O2 sen and the problems with it.

Can anyone elaborate, or give insight to their fix....
Has HD fixed this on the 09s?

boerne free bird

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
    • CVO2: 2007 FLHRSE
    • CVO3: 2003 FLHRSE
Re: ThunderMax or Daytona Twin Tec
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008, 08:38:34 PM »

I have used ThunderMax on two bikes - an 07 SERK and an 08 Cross Bones with a 103 plus heads, cams, etc.

On both bikes, the engine ran cooler and much stronger than with the stock ECM set-up.

I had the unit installed on the SERK by Zippers during Sturgis in 2008. Prior to that, it was bone stock. The gas mileage dropped from 38-40 down to 30-33 mpg or so. I played around with the settings some, but it never improved significantly. I never has the bike dynoed before or after the ThunderMax was installed, and I have since sold it. I was reasonably satisfied. I guess my major disappointment was having a $30,000 bike that needed after market help to be marginally acceptable.

I've only got 4000 miles on the Cross Bones and I put the ThunderMax on it and built the engine when it had 500 miles on it. I wished that I had followed Jim Kerr's lead of getting dyno data before each change. However, my reliable tuner is no longer available and I don't really trust the other dyno people in my area. Most of them strongly prefer the Power Commander approach.

So, I did everything at once. I am very pleased with how the bike runs, but I am talking from saddle feel rather that data. The gas mileage is around 38-40 mpg when I ride tamely. On a recent run to West Texas and back, the mileage was about 24-25 mpg at 85-90 mph, 29 - 32 at 80-85, and 34-27 at 75-80, all on Interstate 10.

I do like the wide band sensors and closed loop approach. I changed the exhaust system once (V&H ProPipes to Fat Katz)  and the ECM adjusted quickly. But again, I don't really have data.

One other thing about the ThunderMax is that I lose some of the speedometer functionality. I had to tweak settings to get the 6th gear light to work, and the range feature has not worked at all since installation. On the plus side, the computer interface is user friendly, and there is a decent tech manual included on the CD that does provide good info on the various settings and tweaking tips.

I suspect that there is a lot more capability in the factory ECM that is lost by the switch to ThunderMax, and I don't really know if that is a good trade-off for the benefits of wide band closed loop.

I am seriously considering replacing the ThunderMax with a SERT and trying that for a while, If I could find a good dyno person, I'd baseline the current set-up the go to the SERT and set what I could tune in.

Anyone know id the SERT can work with wide band sensors or if I'd need to use the Night Rider IX's?

BTW, I am a slow learner. I have an 09 SERG - still stock. I am patiently reading this board and learning from the good work of Jim Kerr and the other frequent posters. Thanks, you all.

live free and ride safe

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008, 08:54:11 PM »

I know nothing about the Daytona Twin Tec - so I'll limit my comments to the ThunderMax...

:sauer005: :sauer024: :bigcry: :dunce: :thumbsdown: :hanged: :sauer021: :furious2: :sauer055: :zstupid: :vrolijk27: :wall: :sauer007: :argue: :beatdeadhorse: :thumbdown: :alcohol: :furious3: :rifle: :smilie_daumenneg: :furious: :puke:

That should about cover it...

Oh -

One more thing...

The customer service from Zippers was non existent........  :smilie_daumenneg:

2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

JMS

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 11:06:09 AM »

You can't use the SERT with wide band O2 sensors, unless you use something like Night Riders....
I'm 99.99999% sure of that....

boerne free bird

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
    • CVO2: 2007 FLHRSE
    • CVO3: 2003 FLHRSE
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008, 12:34:39 PM »

You can't use the SERT with wide band O2 sensors, unless you use something like Night Riders....
I'm 99.99999% sure of that....

Thanks - since the Bones is an 08, I'll go that way and try the SERT for comparison with the current sert-up.
live free and ride safe

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2008, 01:06:57 PM »

THUNDER MAX!!!!!

I have it on my bikes and will never change it. I do not have the AT option on them though. It seems the only problems that people have had were with auto tune. I would think by now they got the bugs out.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

JMS

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2008, 01:09:22 PM »

Thanks DCFiremann...

I really leaning toward the Thundermax....

Did you install it yourself?

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2008, 01:18:16 PM »

I have the Daytona Twin-Tech on the pumpkin and absolutely love it.  Customer Service has been great and it works as advertized, including the auto-tune.  It's nice being able to adjust anything that you want to just by plugging in a laptop.  It also keeps a data log so you can see what is happening either real time or historical.  Like I said, it's the bomb! (That and the fact that I wouldn't buy a bolt from Zippers after all of the customer services issues people have experienced on this site).
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2008, 02:22:56 PM »

THUNDER MAX!!!!!

I have it on my bikes and will never change it. I do not have the AT option on them though. It seems the only problems that people have had were with auto tune. I would think by now they got the bugs out.

Be Safe

THE DAWG

Dawg,

I would agree most of my issues originated with the auto tune feature. 

I could not find a tuner in my area familiar enough with the Thundermax alone (without the autotune) that they were comfortable tuning with it....    :nixweiss:

What sealed the deal for me was the total and complete lack of customer service from Zippers.  Probably the worst experience I have ever had with a vendor.

So I sold the system, went back to the Power Commander I was familiar with and the rest is history.

I have said from the beginning that the T Max and auto tune technology was fascinating and likely the future for these devices.  I think my experience was on the wrong side of the curve for the technology...
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2008, 02:55:27 PM »

Daytona Twin TecTCFI III without a doubt! I have installed several and they work very, very well. I have also installed the Thundermax with decent results but it relies on having a base map that matches your setup. We all know that base maps are only a base and that each engine (even two with the exact same components) will vary in its fuel needs. The TCFI III system has more flexibility that the Thundermax and does not rely on having a base map very close to your setup to get started. Tech support is great with the Daytona as well. At this point the TCFI III does not support the TBW (08+ Touring) models though.

JMS

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2008, 08:14:43 PM »

did you have any problems getting the ACR wired...
Do you loose any factory functions like the 6th gear, alarm or any of the other functions.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2008, 08:32:11 PM »

did you have any problems getting the ACR wired...
Do you loose any factory functions like the 6th gear, alarm or any of the other functions.

No ACR issues, (you add a relay to activate them while the start button is enguaged, ( simple instructions are on the TCFI website))  no 6th gear issues, alarm or anything else is lost.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2008, 09:54:50 PM »

Have you considered the TTS unit.  Original SERT manufacturer and it has built in functionality to allow you to track data and make changes to the map.

HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 FLHTUSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2008, 05:25:07 AM »

I have The Thunder-Max with Auto Tune & am happy with it. Bike does run cooler, although as others have posted I lost about 4 mpg. THE MUFFMAN

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2008, 01:56:04 PM »

I have The Thunder-Max with Auto Tune & am happy with it. Bike does run cooler, although as others have posted I lost about 4 mpg. THE MUFFMAN

To me, that is a clue that the bike is not running optimally.  When I tried using the T Max w/autotune, I lost mileage on every attempt at a map - just to varying degrees.

After installing the Power Commander and having John Golden tune the motor, I have not only have tremendously increased performance, but I am getting slightly better mileage than I achieved when the bike was bone stock... - and my mileage is about 8mpg better then with any attempt using the T Max w/autotune...
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 20 queries.