Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: ThunderMax or Daytona Twin Tec  (Read 7382 times)

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
Re: ThunderMax or Daytona Twin Tec
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2008, 01:59:00 PM »

I am getting ~180 miles per tank with my Daytona setup.  Bike is a 103", 10:1 compression, 575 cams, and headwork...
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2008, 01:59:08 PM »

To me, that is a clue that the bike is not running optimally.  When I tried using the T Max w/autotune, I lost mileage on every attempt at a map - just to varying degrees.

After installing the Power Commander and having John Golden tune the motor, I have not only have tremendously increased performance, but I am getting slightly better mileage than I achieved when the bike was bone stock... - and my mileage is about 8mpg better then with any attempt using the T Max w/autotune...

Landing fixation and desire to believe the efforts and expense were well spent has to account for some of the TMAX belief that the system works well.  Just because it's not running noticably poorly does not mean it's even close to good or efficient.

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2008, 03:07:18 PM »

Don I have to agree with you. I know you had a bad experience with yours. I did not install the auto tune module on Punkin. Although it has NOT been tuned as of yet the bike still runs great. Mileage is great and so far I am happy with this part of the bike.

The only problem I have had with Zippers was lack of customer service. I know in the past they were not like that. I hope they are getting back on track.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2008, 04:16:51 PM »

Don I have to agree with you. I know you had a bad experience with yours. I did not install the auto tune module on Punkin. Although it has NOT been tuned as of yet the bike still runs great. Mileage is great and so far I am happy with this part of the bike.

The only problem I have had with Zippers was lack of customer service. I know in the past they were not like that. I hope they are getting back on track.

Be Safe

THE DAWG

The big difference for you and a few others with the T-Max is that yours was actually tuned.  Those few that have had access to a competent tuner familiar with the T-Max and tuned the bike/ECM/mods combination have had much better luck.  Even among those with autotuning.  Though autotuning has over time cost few mileage or added detonation or other issues over time to at least three I know of who ran great after a good tune to begin with.

The base maps provided are too often guesstimate alterations from an original rather than tuned maps to a particular combination.  That's apparant when open some of them up and start looking.  Even were they specific to a given combination we all realize that two identical bikes really don't tune identically though. 

Even though (if I remember correctly) your tune was never completely dialed in it was at least very close.  A TMAX ECM by itself, without autotuning enabled, but having been actually tuned to a given bike has been a far more reliable combination for most than have the alternatives.  They've still had some detonation issues.  Since the ECM pays no attention to the ion sensor this is all but unavaoidable occasionally.  At least in areas with significant weather extremes.  But that's the least of their worries overall.

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2008, 05:43:28 PM »

Have you considered the TTS unit.  Original SERT manufacturer and it has built in functionality to allow you to track data and make changes to the map.

Narrow band only. We confirmed with Steve Cole in another thread. It would be nice if they got everything to work with wide band sensors, It must be possible since DTT Twin Scan is doing it, of course lacking the auto tune, but it's the next best thing. Bye the way, Twin Scan does work with TTS. Just more money to spend.

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2008, 05:45:44 PM »

The big difference for you and a few others with the T-Max is that yours was actually tuned.  Those few that have had access to a competent tuner familiar with the T-Max and tuned the bike/ECM/mods combination have had much better luck.  Even among those with autotuning.  Though autotuning has over time cost few mileage or added detonation or other issues over time to at least three I know of who ran great after a good tune to begin with.

The base maps provided are too often guesstimate alterations from an original rather than tuned maps to a particular combination.  That's apparant when open some of them up and start looking.  Even were they specific to a given combination we all realize that two identical bikes really don't tune identically though. 

Even though (if I remember correctly) your tune was never completely dialed in it was at least very close.  A TMAX ECM by itself, without autotuning enabled, but having been actually tuned to a given bike has been a far more reliable combination for most than have the alternatives.  They've still had some detonation issues.  Since the ECM pays no attention to the ion sensor this is all but unavaoidable occasionally.  At least in areas with significant weather extremes.  But that's the least of their worries overall.

That is correct Don. I had just the A/F adjusted on Punkin. No timing changes. I have never had a problem with detonation. Hence no timing changes. With the timing changes comes more HP but you may also get the pinging then. I am changing a few things on the motor very soon. After that it will go out for a real tune job. I will still run it with out auto tune though.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

wts

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG crush
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2008, 08:39:14 PM »

I have the Twin Tech on my 05 SEEG   ...    lot of  mods to the engine and no problem for several years   ...   it was built and dyno tuned by Flatline Customs
someday- today-will be the good old days

boerne free bird

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
    • CVO2: 2007 FLHRSE
    • CVO3: 2003 FLHRSE
Re: Update Data from ThunderMax
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2008, 07:31:01 PM »

My local tuner is back in business, so I decided to do some optimization on my 08 Cross Bones with the 103. It has some head work, about 10.5 cr and 211 cams. The ThunderMax with auto tune has been used since doing the engine work in May and I've put about 4000 miles on the bike since then.

The base line dyno runs (sorry - I don't have a scanner) yielded about 104 ft-lbs of torque and 99 HP (79.15 deg F, 29.10 in-Hg, humidity 16%, SAE 1.01). The AFR averaged 13, which was about what I expected, except for the rpm range 2800 -4000 where the engine is very lean. The worst AFR is around 15 at 3000 rpm. What surprises me most about this curve is it is worse where I believe I ride the most. The torque peak is about 3300 rpm, where the AFR is around 14.8 begins to get away from rich and closer to optimum.

So, the next objective is to dial in the AFR in the problem range. I gave the tuner the choice of using the ThunderMax after I printed the manual, or using a SERT. Neither of us are very fond on PowerCommanders. He opted to use the ThuderMax so hopefully I'll get the tuning done early next week. I hope to see slightly improved torque at 2800 to 3300 rpm after tuning.

More later.

live free and ride safe
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 20 queries.