Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: replaced a belt yet ??  (Read 3034 times)

BAKRDS

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
replaced a belt yet ??
« on: November 04, 2008, 04:18:18 PM »

If you've replaced a belt why did it need it & what were the miles ???
'10 SESG
 '65 FLH

opee6969

• Senior CVO Member
  • RUMSPRINGA!!!
Re: replaced a belt yet ??
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 04:25:01 PM »

I replaced a belt on my 99' RK. It just snapped for no apparent reason on my way home and I got to push the bike a little over a mile. You really give those motors some credit when you can't even get the speedo needle to bounce when pushing it.

I got 83K on my 00' UC and never had a problem with it...go figure.

Opee
'01 FLSTF
'03 FLSTS
'05 K1200LT
'15 FLTRXS
'16 FLHTKSE

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 04:52:36 PM »

Not on my SEEG but on my 02 Ultra Classic and on my 86 Heritage. 

Used to remove the belt guards (just looked better) but there's a price to pay.  You get so much as a pebble up there, it will put a hole in your belt.  Eventually, with a lot of torque over and over, that whole will rip all the way.

You can usually inspect a broken belt and will see little signs of the damage that caused the belt to go.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Buffy

• Senior CVO Member
  • Big Ugly Fat Friggin' Yankee

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 - Scarlett Red Wide Glide
    • CVO2: 2007 FLTR - Orange & Black
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 05:03:13 PM »

This was from a previous post of mine....

I met up with my HOG group to go for a lunch ride and of course there's always time to look at each other's scooters before leaving.  One of my HOG members said, "What's that in your belt?" 

At first I thought he was joking, but after looking at it carefully, something was wrong.  I decided to go directly home to see what it was. 

It turned out to be a 7/16 nut had gotten caught between the belt and the pulley and actually punched right through the belt!  Believe it or not, it made NO NOISE while riding! 

My Guardian Angel did her job that day!

BUFFY
John & his 2001 Screamin' Eagle FXDWG2               and              2007 FLTR "Ultra" Road Glide
------------------------------------------------------
It\'s Never Too Late To Have A Happy Childhood

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 09:05:24 PM »

I replaced the belt on my 01 as it was chirping no matter where I had the tension set. While changing it I changed the seal around the shifter shaft that runs into the trans. Since my bike is an 01 it came with the 1 1/2" belt, I changed it to the 1 1/8" belt (because I have a couple).

Another thing to check/change when changing the belt would be the swingarm bushings since your there.
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

J-Carr

• Got to keep the Loonies on the path
  • Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 08:20:54 AM »

The friday before we left for the 105th in Milwaukee I started my wife's '07 Street Bob and went to pull it out of the garage for her.  I pulled the clutch in all the way and clicked down to first.  Instead of the usual "Harley Clunk" it made an ungodly crack.  The belt had completely snapped.  10000 miles on the bike.  It looks like there may have been a hole in the belt from a rock like picured above in this thread, but we can't be sure.  What's wierd is she had ridden it home the night before and it didn't break under torque, but snapped just from putting it in gear with the clutch pulled in.

My guess is the marriage gods wanted to challenge me, because I had to call her and tell her I broke her bike right before Milwaukee.  :'( Fortunately my dealer came over and picked up the bike after hours and put a new belt on it and had it back to her first thing the next morning.  Which is why I keep saying there are good dealers out there... Just gotta find 'em!

Ride Safe,
J-Carr

Me, Screamin' Nemo and The Kid.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2008, 11:36:08 AM »

I replaced the belt on my 01 as it was chirping no matter where I had the tension set. While changing it I changed the seal around the shifter shaft that runs into the trans. Since my bike is an 01 it came with the 1 1/2" belt, I changed it to the 1 1/8" belt (because I have a couple).

Another thing to check/change when changing the belt would be the swingarm bushings since your there.

Am likely doing a bit of preventative maintenance on the 2000 soon here Puz.  It doesn't have a lot of miles on it.  Isn't punctured (so far).  Doesn't show dry rot of any kind anywhwere.  But it's still about 10 years old.

Since it will all be apart sometime soon for a tranny gear set I think I'm going to change the belt "just because."  Swing arm maintenance also.  Ten year old rubber is probably fine.  But when it's easy to get to it's hard not to be a little proactive.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 12:39:22 PM by TwoLaneRider »

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2008, 12:27:05 PM »

Replacing belts, hrmm I recall replacing just a few of these.   "Usually" not due to the a stone or a screw being caught in them.   Have had a pebble 1 time do what you are showing above like the nut popping through, but the rest of them have been related to gear stomping with friends.   Luckily no one has been torpedo'd by one of them while shooting out the back of the bike although Otis did get an up and personal look at the last one :)  The longest lasting heavy belt (side car belt) has lasted about 12k on the roadking.   I think that is where the Unbalanced Belt Snapper came from  :nixweiss:   :huepfenlol2:

HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Gone Fishin'

• The Director
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 FLHTKSE Limited®, Black Sparkle and 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Ultra Classic®, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate, # 110 of 992
    • CVO2: 2007 FLHRSE3 Screamin' Eagle® Road King®, Black Ice, 1 of 1325
    • CVO3: 2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red and 2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine, 1 of 316
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2008, 01:21:22 PM »

Am likely doing a bit of preventative maintenance on the 2000 soon here Puz.  It doesn't have a lot of miles on it.  Isn't punctured (so far).  Doesn't show dry rot of any kind anywhwere.  But it's still about 10 years old.

Since it will all be apart sometime soon for a tranny gear set I think I'm going to change the belt "just because."  Swing arm maintenance also.  Ten year old rubber is probably fine.  But when it's easy to get to it's hard not to be a little proactive.
To my knowledge H-D has no maintenance schedule for the belts. I have seen people running belts for more than 100k miles. If it ain't broke, no reason to fix it. And they are not cheap either, at least over here ;-).

Ride safely,
Louis

1914 10E, Grey
1956 FLH Custom, Candy Orange
1988 FXRS Custom, "S.O.A."
2000 FLSTF Custom Fat Boy, "Jumpin' Jack Flash"
2000 FXSTS Custom Springer Softail, Grey
2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine
2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red
2005 FLHTCSE2, -9/07
2007 FLHRSE3, Black Ice
2008 FLHTCUSE3, -7/08
2009 FLHTCUSE4, -4/10
2010 FLHTCUSE5-BLK, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate
2012 VRSCDX ANV, Brilliant Silver Pearl
2016 FLHTKSE, Black Sparkle
2016 XL1200CX Roadster, Vivid Black
2018 FLFBS ANV
CVO 1480 IBA 26678

Buffy

• Senior CVO Member
  • Big Ugly Fat Friggin' Yankee

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 - Scarlett Red Wide Glide
    • CVO2: 2007 FLTR - Orange & Black
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2008, 01:48:24 PM »

And they are not cheap either, at least over here ;-).

Ride safely,
Louis

They're not cheap here either! :soapbox:
John & his 2001 Screamin' Eagle FXDWG2               and              2007 FLTR "Ultra" Road Glide
------------------------------------------------------
It\'s Never Too Late To Have A Happy Childhood

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2008, 03:23:27 PM »

To my knowledge H-D has no maintenance schedule for the belts. I have seen people running belts for more than 100k miles. If it ain't broke, no reason to fix it. And they are not cheap either, at least over here ;-).

Ride safely,
Louis

They're not.  And I'd not do it preventatively even at 10 years old if there weren't a new belt in the bottom drawer of the tool box just begging to be installed in something.  It's too wide for the SEEG so, hey, WTH :nixweiss: .

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2008, 04:18:48 PM »

They're not.  And I'd not do it preventatively even at 10 years old if there weren't a new belt in the bottom drawer of the tool box just begging to be installed in something.  It's too wide for the SEEG so, hey, WTH :nixweiss: .
Don, you know that while you've got it torn down if you don't replace the belt the dang thing will break the first time
you ride it after re-assembly.  The motorcycle gods just work that way.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2008, 05:52:57 PM »

Don, you know that while you've got it torn down if you don't replace the belt the dang thing will break the first time
you ride it after re-assembly.  The motorcycle gods just work that way.

Ultrafxr now you did it, you jinxed Don and there is no turning back now :)  Don's picture is now sitting under Murphy's Law just egging him to not replace that belt to see what happens.
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2008, 09:49:56 PM »

Ultrafxr now you did it, you jinxed Don and there is no turning back now :)  Don's picture is now sitting under Murphy's Law just egging him to not replace that belt to see what happens.

Too likely Harry.  One of the brethren here now has five bucks hanging on whether the new belt will break within three months of being installed.  Just to be optimistic I took the bet though.  But you know your buddies love you when they're betting that your chit will break :drink: .

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2008, 01:09:39 AM »

Don,

Optomistic only way to go and hell 5 bucks is 2 beers during happy hour.   Besides what are friends for if not to give ya grief, least ya know they still care  ::)
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.187 seconds with 25 queries.