Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9  All

Author Topic: Floorboard extensions  (Read 38360 times)

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
Re: Floorboard extensions
« Reply #90 on: February 24, 2009, 03:53:20 AM »

like the harley-goodies-ones , but only in black , thxs .
I am still searching forward and outwards mover like the küryakyns http://www.kuryakyn.com/index.cfm/go/Home.ProductDetail/catID/10/scID/16/IMID/83 ( but this ones will not fit , i was told , wonder why when i look at them )

They won't fit for the same reason that they have ones for the 09's only.  They are different in 09.  I can see that they could be made.  Someone would have to make an adapter that comes out 1/2", then forward 1", and then out 1/2" again.  I wish I knew how to make something like that...I have it visualized exactly how it would have to be done and fit to make it work.  As of now, I haven't seen anyone making such an item.  Or of course, they could make the entire bracket, not just the adaptor, to do it.  I think that once someone like http://www.wildbillscycles.com/brackets.html makes one to move forward the 09's, you may be able to use one of their brackets with the www.harleygoodies.com adaptors and function to move them out and forward.  Look at it this way, it's hard to even find an exhaust for the 09's yet.  It doesn't surprise me at all that some of these other things have not hit the market yet.

Highjagger

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • tradition`s not worship ash but pass on the fire

• CVO1: FXSE Breakout Pro Street 2016 ,- and 2011 Crossbones FLSTSB ,- and 2016 LowRider s FXDLs
« Reply #91 on: February 24, 2009, 06:28:43 AM »

The wildbillys don`t work .They answered .
But the Küryakyns change the upper mount , what is the problem here with the 09ers ?.
Changing the lower mounts is clear , very difficult on the left side because of the side-stand .
Success is to stand up one more than to fall down

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #92 on: February 24, 2009, 06:39:19 AM »

The wildbillys don`t work .They answered .
But the Küryakyns change the upper mount , what is the problem here with the 09ers ?.
Changing the lower mounts is clear , very difficult on the left side because of the side-stand .

I'm not sure what you are talking about.  There is a front and rear mount, no upper and lower.  I knew that Wild Bills didn't have them for 09.  That was only for a reference if they come out with them at a later date.  I haven't taken an intimate look at the 08's, but I would assume if there is a new part just for 09, there must be a difference.  On the left side, the kickstand didn't end up being a problem at all for the install.  I remember when I first looked at the left side, I thought I was going to have to remove the kickstand, but you do not have to do that and taking the bolt out did not cause any problem with it.  I don't know anything about the European models and as we have seen, not everything is the same in the US.  Maybe yours are different.  The difficult bolts to get to were the front ones, because the heads are on the inside of the frame and there's no room to work with them because the oil cooler is right there.

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #93 on: February 24, 2009, 06:43:20 AM »

I disassembled to oil cooler to get mine on, way to ez.
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #94 on: February 24, 2009, 07:02:59 AM »

I disassembled to oil cooler to get mine on, way to ez.

That certainly would have made it tremendously easier, but nobody will ever accuse me of doing things the easy way.  I wasn't sure what was involved with taking the oil cooler off, so I just avoided it.

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #95 on: February 24, 2009, 07:07:29 AM »

It has three nuts on the bottom and the cooler slides right off, I did not remove the lines from it, just moved it out of the way.
Shoot, I got to go to work.
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

Highjagger

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: FXSE Breakout Pro Street 2016 ,- and 2011 Crossbones FLSTSB ,- and 2016 LowRider s FXDLs
« Reply #96 on: February 24, 2009, 08:00:57 AM »

I mean that the küryakyn change the joints ( where the brackets meet the board to swap them ) - upper mount .
all the others modifie the lower mount ( where the brackets meet the frame )
http://www.kuryakyn.com/index.cfm/go/Home.ProductDetail/catID/10/scID/16/IMID/83
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 08:04:53 AM by Highjagger »

NW_FLSTRSE3_2009

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 O&B
« Reply #97 on: February 24, 2009, 09:52:49 AM »

Since this is my first bike with foot boards, I was wondering if I was stuck with only half of my foot resting on them or what. I kept thinking this isn't much better than the pegs I had on my Springer.  Thanks to this site, I have a fix!!!  Mine are on the way.  I am sure this will be all I will need.  Thanks again for the leg work.  And since I had my right side footboard off to do the head pipe swap this should be easy?
Servin our Country since 1980.
USMC 1980-1992
Since then workin on the border...

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #98 on: February 24, 2009, 11:31:44 AM »

I mean that the küryakyn change the joints ( where the brackets meet the board to swap them ) - upper mount .
all the others modifie the lower mount ( where the brackets meet the frame )
http://www.kuryakyn.com/index.cfm/go/Home.ProductDetail/catID/10/scID/16/IMID/83

Who told you that the Kuryakyn's won't work?  I just looked at them just now.  It says they fit up to 09.  I did notice on the harleygoodies site that they had a separate listing for standard versus Screamin Eagle.  Now that I'm thinking about it, when I got my kit from HarleyGoodies, there was a note somewhere...I think it was something like...ignore what the instructions say and use these different size bolts that came with this kit.  Again, if I am remembering correctly, it may just be the length of the bolts that go through the frame were a different size for 2 of the bolts versus the standard model Harley.  BUT, if you look at the pictures on www.harleygoodies.com/hdf, the up to 2008 kit looks entirely different than the 09 kit.  In 09, all 4 adaptors are threaded sleeves that are made to approximate the shape of the brackets.  Up to 08, you have the choice of the round or square spacer for the one bracket on the right side (and it's not threaded) and for the left side there is one adaptor that has about 6 holes in it, to match the OEM bracket.  Whether you can substitute the non-threaded different type adaptors for the threaded sleeves is beyond me.  Also, notice that the earlier models were a 5 bolt setup, not 4 bolts.  I remember when I put a set of these on my 07 Road King.  It was the other setup...different than the 09 SE.  From what I see in the difference in kits, I have to question Kuryakyn even showing their kits fitting any 09 models.  You would have to talk to them to find out if their kit will work as a substitute.

Assuming that the Kuryakyn kit will connect properly on the floorboard end of the bracket to move them forward, then you could use the Kuryakyn kit to move the boards forward, and use the HarleyGoodies kit to move them outward.  So you may have to buy both kits...on is about $94 and the other kit is about $47.  Again, you need to look at the bracket end where it attaches to the floorboards on an 08 and 09 and see if the attach the same way.  If they do, you just have to spend an extra $47 to have the best of both worlds.  I would try the Kuryakyn kit first and see if the entire kit works.  If the part that mounts to the frame doesn't work, then you know you have to get the HarleyGoodies kit also, to complete the installation.  I hope you followed all of that.  I think I made some sense.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #99 on: February 24, 2009, 11:47:40 AM »

And if you decide that the the typical extension kit of 3/4" isn't enough you can "roll your own" by getting the spacers and necessary Allen cap screws at McMaster-Carr.

I use 2" spacers on the right and 3/4" on the left side, with stainless cap screws

I needed the extra room because of the tear drop air cleaner. This air cleaner uses a 1" spacer to install it.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 11:56:33 AM by porthole »
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #100 on: February 24, 2009, 11:53:15 AM »

And if you decide that the the typical extension kit of 3/4" isn't enough you can "roll your own" by getting the spacers and necessary Allen cap screws at McMaster-Carr.

I use 2" spacers on the right and 3/4" on the left side, with stainless cap screws

I needed the extra room because of the tear drop air cleaner. This air cleaner uses a 1"spacer to install it.

I decided against doing all the chrome on my engine on this bike.  After seeing the photo of yours, now I want to do it again.  I did it on my Road King and it sure does look nice.

Highjagger

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #101 on: February 24, 2009, 12:38:18 PM »

I will try to ask directly at küryakyn , i guess the same like you , they should fit .

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #102 on: February 24, 2009, 12:46:27 PM »

I will try to ask directly at küryakyn , i guess the same like you , they should fit .

No, my guess is that they WILL NOT fit, at least not as they come from Kuryakyn.  It may be as simple as the length of the bolts being wrong, but as it comes from them, I DO NOT think that they will tell you yes.  I'm talking about the part that mounts to the frame to move them outward.  As far as the part moving them forward, I don't have a clue if the mount to the floorboard is the same or not.

Highjagger

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #103 on: February 24, 2009, 12:53:05 PM »

Wow ,
sooo fast response :

They wrote :
Klaus,
            Yes they sure do fit with no issues! Enjoy! Let me know if you need anything else!

Chris Pomorin
Dealer Technical advisor
1-715-247-5794 
715-247-5007 fax
www.Kuryakyn.com
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.”        Dr. Seuss

And now , do you trust them ?

RickC

• When I was 42, I was the answer life, the universe and everything. Now, I'm all that *and* a side of fries!
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHR Vivid Black
    • CVO2: 2009 FLTRSE3 Stardust Silver / Titanium Dust **TRADED**
    • CVO3: 2010 FXDF Vivd Black **TRADED** | 2007 FLTR Vivid Black / Red (a/k/a "Red Nipples") **TRADED** | 2005 FLTRI Black Pearl / Grey (a/k/a "The Black Pearl") **TRADED**
    • Rick Rocks On!
« Reply #104 on: February 24, 2009, 01:05:39 PM »

And now , do you trust them ?

I took a look at the installation instructions for the Kuryakyn floorboard extensions (available as a link from the product page at http://www.kuryakyn.com/index.cfm/go/Home.ProductDetail/catID/10/scID/16/IMID/83 or directly at http://www.kuryakyn.com/documents/installation/4588-22HD-0708.pdf).

Yes, these will work on '09 touring models because...

The Kuryakyn floorboard extensions to not fit between the frame and the floorboard support arms. Rather, they fit between the floorboard support arm and the floorboard itself... which has not changed.

If you look closely at the illustrations in the Kuryakyn kit, this all becomes clear.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9  All

Page created in 0.19 seconds with 21 queries.