Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: SEUC or buld your own CVO  (Read 10776 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: SEUC or buld your own CVO
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2008, 02:40:21 PM »

Realigning 2lane ranging and acquisition ....... 

Just had a scary thought.  As I've gotten older and my ass has gotten larger CEP is less specific a concern :huepfenlol2: .

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2008, 02:50:41 PM »

Just had a scary thought.  As I've gotten older and my ass has gotten larger CEP is less specific a concern :huepfenlol2: .

Got me ..... another monitor cleanup  :2vrolijk_21:

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2008, 03:06:12 PM »

Drop trow and blind the satellite with pasty buttockal brilliance. 

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2008, 03:58:31 PM »

I asked myself the same question so I went through the accessories catalog and started adding up everything that comes standard on a CVO.  The total came to over $23K, that is enough to buy another Ultra.  Grant it, there are accessories on the CVO that I would not have bought but they are on there so I'll take them.

Keep in mind that when you buy over the counter parts, you get no credit for the original take-off parts.  When you trade back in, I've heard that dealers don't care if it's modified with all the custom "extra" stuff or back to stock.  So you can take the stuff back off and then you're stuck with used stuff to sell on Ebay.

When MOCO builds a CVO they never include the original stuff and in theory you only pay the difference between the original parts and the CVO extras.

The Road Winder front wheel is around $1,100 and that's just one front wheel.  Now I would imagine that some lucky dealership would give you 25% off if you were to plunk down that kind of money on "extras" and then have them do the motor work too.

I think I'm with the majority here, buy the SEUC from the get go and be done with it.

My saleman told me that a guy was going to do that on a RK stock and it would cost him about $15k to do it.  That alone is still just a modified RK, not a CVO with the added resale from the original purchase.  I think all will agree that just because it's a CVO doesn't mean it will take less of a beating on depreciation (percentage wise), it just starts out at the higher MSRP and drops down from that.  If you do a modified RK you're going to start at the MSRP price and go down from that.  Doubtful you'll get anything for the upgrades, except maybe someone would pay a bit more for an up sized motor and give you "some" extra money for the other OCD items.

But still, it really sounds like a lost cause across the board.

Although you will get what YOU WANT and it IS YOUR MONEY.  If like someone else said, you're going to die with this bike, it may make sense to do a custom like what you want and not have anything you don't want or need.

Only you can make the decision to go either way, but I think the consensus is SEUC, not a supersized Ultra.

Good luck with your thought process and let us know what you end up doing.

:)  :)  :)
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

brwk

• Full CVO Member
  • Annv #782

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2008, 05:35:36 PM »

It all depends on what your idea of the perfect bike is.  I didn't want to part with the extra $ so I just had the dealer do the motor and I put on the extras that I like.  I saved about 10K and I dont have a SEUC but it is my perfect bike.

AZSSE

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2008, 09:17:17 PM »

After reading all the replies - Thanks a lot, by the way. I think I'm going to keep my 07 FXSTSSE, and save the money for an 09 SEUC. I'm going to try that because the SEUC will probably end up being my last bike, and I want to try and have everything I can, even though I may not want some of the accessories now, and I can still take the Springer out for the short rides.
I appreciate eveyone's help. All of the advice was good. Thanks, this is a great group of people.

32Lager

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Ultra
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2008, 10:57:25 PM »

I've been kicking the same questions around and your responses to Azsse help to clear it up some. My conservative upbringing tells me I'm crazy for even thinking of paying this much for a motorcycle but right now, we have all but one small loan paid off.

Here's my situation: My wife and I just looked at the new Ultra in Red Hot Sunglo and then a Ruby Red SEUC and she fell in love with Ruby. Soon after he mentioned the heated seats, she turned around and told me to buy it. You have to understand that my wife isn't usually like this. She's very tight with our money but all the way home she was trying to convince me it was the best bang for our buck. A real good point was when she said we're only young once... I actually turned the dome light on to make sure it wasn't one of my girlfriends sitting there :)

Most of the CVO's extras are what I'd like to have (especially the engine and paint) but there are some that I'd never need. $36 grand is a ton of money for the average guy but if you do the math for custom paint, engine, wheels and everything else, all those extras add up real quick. What adds pain to the price though is that I'd soon need to spend another grand to keep the engine cooled down. They did offer an extra grand for my '05 Fatboy trade-in (sight un-seen) and possibly more for my extras. With that, it sort of evens out.

I think this is the toughest financial decision I've ever had to make !

screwup

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 SEUC 3
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2008, 11:16:16 PM »

:apple: :carrot:what decision is there to make   Mommy said spend the money, buy the bike, ride it like hell and enjoy it.   She is on your side.  When he war department speaks you better listen. 

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2008, 11:13:33 AM »

By the time you get front lowers in chrome, switches and controls in chrome, upgrade your floorboards and brake pedal and shifter pegs, shift arms and rear brake lever, chrome wheels, upgraded stereo with all the fixin's, heated seat and grips, chrome wheels, mirrors, power locks, luggage rack, security system, custom paint, glove boxes, windshield trim, rider backrest, abs brembo brakes, add highway pegs, different turn signals, bike cover, travel bags for inside your saddlebags and tour pack, liners for tour pack and saddlebags, upgraded hardward on the luggage, chrome rotors, and I'm sure that there are many things I have missed...now you still have to start to upgrade the engine.  I think you can get away with an upgrade to the 110" for probably $6000 to $7000.  If you go to the 113", I'm guessing that with the other things you will want to change out at the same time, look at $8000 to $10,000 on the engine.

With all of that said, you will end up with more than a SE invested by a long shot.  But that isn't the big problem.  Again, as was already mentioned, if you ever decide to trade or sell your bike, you still have a VIN from a standard bike.  Book values are based on the stock bike and this value is used by a bank to determine what value can be loaned against a bike.  The bank does not care what accessories are added to a bike in determining the value, other than the engine will get you some more money out of it, but not nearly what you have into it.  The dealer is then only able to offer you a trade based on what they feel they can sell the bike for, and they have to take into account how much can be taken on a loan to buy that bike.  For instance, if you have $35K into your bike and the book value is still only $17K, the dealer knows that when they go to resell the bike, the bank will only lend based on that book value.  They can't sell it for $35K, or even $25K unless they would happen to get lucky to have a customer walk in that is willing to pay cash for any of the difference.  The dealer makes an assumption that a buyer will be willing to put down 10%, which means your $35K bike that you trade will probably go back out the door to some lucky buyer for under $20K.  I just went through this with my 07 Road King that I had about $33K into.  The dealer just sold it and got about $21K out of it.  I did one heck of a nice job fixing up a bike for someone else and they are getting to reap the benefits of my stupidity.

I thought many times about buying the FLHTCU and upgrading it to match the SE, but the cost would have been way too high and I would have done the same thing to myself all over again.  If you want a SE, buy a SE and don't look back.  With either one, you will still have to reach into your pocket for pipes, tuner, intake, etc.

charger

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 CUSE3
    • CVO2: 10 FLHXSE
    • CVO3: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2008, 03:46:33 PM »

Do like most of us do. Buy the CVO then spend another $5K or so on EXTRAS. LOL  :orange: :orange:

jonga

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2008, 02:05:12 AM »

Howdy everyone, thought I'd add my 2 cents..... I bought a 06 street glide and decided to make a seeg......motor work, fairing lowers, tourpack, upgrades in chrome, cruise control.....I could go on and on. I've got at least 35-40K invested, I love my bike but $ for $ I wish I would of bought a CVO. For some reason the 06 leather tourpack sent me the other direction, go figure now I like them..... But I'm waiting to see what the MoCo has in store for us in 2010. JC and myself are #1 and #2 for the first 2010 CVOs....Hell Yeah.  :2vrolijk_21:

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2008, 10:56:29 AM »

Jon's speakin from experience. :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

badhorse

• Phoenix Performance
    • NV

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2008, 12:26:26 PM »

I asked my dealer if they could build a 103 out of a new twin cam 88 road glide if I bought it. The dealer stated they could build it but they could not warranty it.  :nixweiss:

So, I bought my SEEG.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 12:28:08 PM by badhorse »
Rinehart Headpipe, TD Monster ovals, AK20, Bitubo, seat by Ricks, SERT, Daymakers

kb

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 serk twilight/cobalt blue
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2008, 07:28:43 PM »

I have been very happy with my SE. I have also been very unhappy with Harley Davidsons unwillingness to provide me with a simple paint code . I would be willing to buy the items from Harley painted to match my bike, however they are not willing to do that either. There are a lot of people who have gone thru a lot of work and money to do this. I cannot understand why Harley takes this stand. They could have received the money rather than give it to an aftermarket company. Makes no sense to me. KB
kb

kb

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 serk twilight/cobalt blue
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2008, 07:33:14 PM »

I guess my answer is the next time I will do it my way.KB
kb
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.203 seconds with 24 queries.