Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: FXDWG handlebars on FXR4 .... and if you want internal wiring  (Read 10285 times)

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
FXDWG handlebars on FXR4 .... and if you want internal wiring
« on: December 14, 2008, 12:46:47 PM »

Hi Blaine,
I thought I'd post this up here as others may be looking for somthing like this also ...... I could not ride with the stock drag bars on my bike, VERY UNCOMFORTABLE to me !   I LIKED the look, but I often ride 300 miles a day and when I take a trip I'll ride 500 - 600+ miles a day.  I could never do that with drag bars.....

Anyway, you ask me this:

Anyway, the reason I PM'd is to ask about your handlebars on your 4. My Bo-in-law saw them today and he has an 89 FXR with bars similar to Tim and mines. He wants to get something along the line of yours. Do you know the PN and the specs on it ie, width, center, rise, and pullback? No rush cause he's doing tranny work on his and will be a while; just thought I'd ask for him...Hurry and get that build done man; I wanna hear how you couldn't hang on after you ride it the first time  Grin Thanks and best to ya...Blaine

You're IN Luck .. just so happens that I 'usually' keep receipts, and I found this one.

The bars that I put on are the CHROME version of the stock STAINLESS STEEL bars for the Dyna Wide Glide in 2001 (may still be but I think they changed them in 04')  PN 56079-93T

The specs on the bars are:

PN 56079-93T

Measurements:
tip to tip 32 inches
base width 10 inches
rise 10.25 inches
pull back 6.50 inches
knurl center to center 3.14 inches

To get a picture and understanding of how these measurements are made:
Go to page 618 in Harley-Davidson 2008 Genuine Motor Accessories And Genuine Motor Parts Catalog

In the upper right corner of that page you'll also find information on how to determine if these bars will fit your risers:
Knurl Center to Center is the distance between the center of one knurl to the center of the other knurl.
To ensure correct fit between the handlebar and the risers, measure the center to center distance between the  riser clamping surfaces and select a handlebar with the same dimension.

I've also found several post regarding this PN 56079-93T and PN 56079-93

you'll find both of those PN on page 618, they both have the same dimensions.  From what I can determine from reading other posts is that the 'T' version is the CHROME bars and the other PN is the stock STAINLESS STEEL bars. Both PN have the same dimensions.  Of course to ensure that he gets what he wants he should place a couple of calls to HD to makes sure of the PN in question.

Here are a couple of threads from 'other' forums that I found that might be useful to you.

Here the user is looking for the same bars that are on my bike and the discussion covers both of the part numbers that I gave you above.
What you'll find them saying is that the PN 56079-93 is the stock bars for the WG and are STAINLESS STEEL ... the PN 56079-93T are
Chrome-plated handlebars are designed to be exact replacements for the Original Equipment stainless steel handlebars.

Fits FXDWG models equipped with P/N 56079-93 as Original Equipment.
http://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/128395-wide-glide-bars-part.html

These bars (56079-93 or 56079-93T) ARE NOT drilled for internal wiring. 

I found the following post that you might find useful if you are considering internal wiring:
http://www.hdtalking.com/sportster_models/9865-harley_56079_93t_handlebar_question.html
Khrome Werks (part #300051) bars that come drilled and are a replacement bar for the FXDWG bars

Hope this helps him out !

Best of luck ... Let us know what he decides to do.

Mikey

« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 09:19:42 AM by fxr4mikey »
2000 FXR4 Candy Tangerine
The Build -
•   SE Heads w/Cometic .030 gaskets
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb
•   Compu-Fire Single Fire Ignition
•   Rivera taper-lite chromolly adjustable push rods
•   Chrome lifter blocks w/HD B lifters
•   Pro-Force One AC and breather kit
•   Vance and Hines straight shots

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
Re: FXWG handlebars on FXR4 .... and if you want internal wiring
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 05:44:26 PM »

Hi Blaine,
I thought I'd post this up here as others may be looking for somthing like this also ...... I could not ride with the stock drag bars on my bike, VERY UNCOMFORTABLE to me !   I LIKED the look, but I often ride 300 miles a day and when I take a trip I'll ride 500 - 600+ miles a day.  I could never do that with drag bars.....

Anyway, you ask me this:

Anyway, the reason I PM'd is to ask about your handlebars on your 4. My Bo-in-law saw them today and he has an 89 FXR with bars similar to Tim and mines. He wants to get something along the line of yours. Do you know the PN and the specs on it ie, width, center, rise, and pullback? No rush cause he's doing tranny work on his and will be a while; just thought I'd ask for him...Hurry and get that build done man; I wanna hear how you couldn't hang on after you ride it the first time  Grin Thanks and best to ya...Blaine

You're IN Luck .. just so happens that I 'usually' keep receipts, and I found this one.

The bars that I put on are the CHROME version of the stock STAINLESS STEEL bars for the Dyna Wide Glide in 2001 (may still be but I think they changed them in 04')  PN 56079-93T

The specs on the bars are:

PN 56079-93T

Measurements:
tip to tip 32 inches
base width 10 inches
rise 10.25 inches
pull back 6.50 inches
knurl center to center 3.14 inches

To get a picture and understanding of how these measurements are made:
Go to page 618 in Harley-Davidson 2008 Genuine Motor Accessories And Genuine Motor Parts Catalog

In the upper right corner of that page you'll also find information on how to determine if these bars will fit your risers:
Knurl Center to Center is the distance between the center of one knurl to the center of the other knurl.
To ensure correct fit between the handlebar and the risers, measure the center to center distance between the  riser clamping surfaces and select a handlebar with the same dimension.

I've also found several post regarding this PN 56079-93T and PN 56079-93

you'll find both of those PN on page 618, they both have the same dimensions.  From what I can determine from reading other posts is that the 'T' version is the CHROME bars and the other PN is the stock STAINLESS STEEL bars. Both PN have the same dimensions.  Of course to ensure that he gets what he wants he should place a couple of calls to HD to makes sure of the PN in question.

Here are a couple of threads from 'other' forums that I found that might be useful to you.

Here the user is looking for the same bars that are on my bike and the discussion covers both of the part numbers that I gave you above.
What you'll find them saying is that the PN 56079-93 is the stock bars for the WG and are STAINLESS STEEL ... the PN 56079-93T are
Chrome-plated handlebars are designed to be exact replacements for the Original Equipment stainless steel handlebars.

Fits FXDWG models equipped with P/N 56079-93 as Original Equipment.
http://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/128395-wide-glide-bars-part.html

These bars (56079-93 or 56079-93T) ARE NOT drilled for internal wiring. 

I found the following post that you might find useful if you are considering internal wiring:
http://www.hdtalking.com/sportster_models/9865-harley_56079_93t_handlebar_question.html
Khrome Werks (part #300051) bars that come drilled and are a replacement bar for the FXDWG bars

Hope this helps him out !

Best of luck ... Let us know what he decides to do.

Mikey

Mikey, I like that look and need to do something with the drag bars.  They are so narrow, you can't see cars behind you only shoulders.

Do you know what brake lines, throttle cables, clutch cables you needed?  Did you keep the stock riser setup?
Thanks
Any day on the bike is a good day.

elvislee

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2008, 06:10:40 PM »

Hey Mikey,
    Thanks for all the input; I will print it and give to Bro for reference. He likes those high rise style bars. I think they look cool but just not my style for riding  ;D. Thanks again man  :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: FXDWG handlebars on FXR4 .... and if you want internal wiring
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2008, 07:46:33 PM »

I used these bars on all my earlier RK's. They were great for me on RK's. They were too far away for me without 6" risers on the FXR. That's why I used the Flanders 12.5" Original Apes w/3.5" risers. I'm 5'-9" w/32" sleeve.

The Title of this should be "FXDWG handlebars...." ;)

Hoist! 8)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 11:21:14 AM by Hoist! »
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2008, 11:10:20 PM »

Mikey, I like that look and need to do something with the drag bars.  They are so narrow, you can't see cars behind you only shoulders.

Do you know what brake lines, throttle cables, clutch cables you needed?  Did you keep the stock riser setup?
Thanks

As a matter of fact, I DO !!!  It's your lucky day !!

I just posted that information on another forum someplace .... I had to go through all my records to find it, but I do have it.
Let me go search a couple of the other forums and see where I put it.

I did keep the stock riser setup

Be back in a bit .............

Mikey

I'm back ...........

here's the information that you asked for .... I think the clutch cable could have been a bit shorter, but I didn't want to have anything crimp/pinch in tank to tank turns
Hope this helps ya !
The following is a copy of a post that I replied to in another forum......

BTW .... I'm still running the same cables that I put on in 01'  with NO PROBLEMS.  The fit is good for these bars, just the right length for all turns and tucks in nice when in a straight line. Not to mention that braided looks so KEWL    :cucumber: :pepper: :apple: :bananarock: :mango: :huepfenjump3: :orange:

In Oct. 2001 I put on braided cables on my bike

I've had NO problems with them, and the jacket is as clear today as it was the day they went on.

Brand name: BRAIDED BARNETT CABLE

the part numbers I used are: (but I'm sure that the part number is length specific too  the "+" is indicative of the additional length over stock dimensions)

342-96sc+8 BRAIDED BARNETT IDLE CABLE 8IN FXST/FXD CLEAR COATED

343-96sc+8 BRD BRNTT THROT. CBL +8IN FLST FXSTC FXSTSB CLEAR COATED

617-95sc+8 Clutch cable

I found this is my old records for the brake cable

part # 14-294 Clear S/S F/Bk.HS Kt T -- $155.00 in 2001 OUCH
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 09:23:47 AM by fxr4mikey »
The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2008, 11:18:20 PM »

Hey Mikey,
    Thanks for all the input; I will print it and give to Bro for reference. He likes those high rise style bars. I think they look cool but just not my style for riding  ;D. Thanks again man  :2vrolijk_21:

You're MORE THAN WELCOME of Course !!!!  Hope it helps him out !!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 09:24:17 AM by fxr4mikey »
The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2008, 11:20:20 PM »

The Title of this should be "FXDWG handlebars...." ;)

Yep, I knew that right after I made the post ..... but alas I am not able to change the title once posted  :D
But I'm glad that you're on your toes and watching that nobody is slipping through the cracks     LOL

« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 09:24:33 AM by fxr4mikey »
The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
  • LET IT BREATHHHHEEEE BABY LET IT BREATHEEEE
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2008, 03:52:06 AM »

Mikey....

How about some close up photos of these bars.....

LOL

Regards,

Tim
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 09:57:41 AM by FXR2evo99 »

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2008, 08:51:54 AM »

"The Title of this should be "FXDWG handlebars...."

Yep, I knew that right after I made the post ..... but alas I am not able to change the title once posted 
But I'm glad that you're on your toes and watching that nobody is slipping through the cracks     LOL

HeHe!!! You can "Modify" the title in every post you make including the first one, the same as you would "Modify" the text in a post you wanted to make a change to. ;D ;)

Hoist! 8)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 11:20:50 AM by Hoist! »

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

elvislee

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2008, 09:11:36 AM »

HeHe!!! You can "Modify" the title in every post you make including the first one, the same as you would "Modify" the text in a post you wanted to make a change to. ;D ;)

Hoist! 8)

Hey Mikey....FXWG or FXDWG...I think most of us knew what ya meant  ;D :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 12:14:55 PM by elvislee »

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2008, 09:16:19 AM »

Mikey....

How about some close up photos of these bars.....

:worthless:

LOL

Regards,

Tim

I can do that, NP,  HOWEVER .... my wife has the camera and she is up in MI right now and wont' be home until about 12/22 ..... so everyone will have to wait til then.

I can, and will,  look through some of my album and see if there is anything that looks 'close up' of the bars .... but I doubt it.

I will take pics and post up straight away after Jan gets home....... sorry for the delay.

Mikey
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 09:24:55 AM by fxr4mikey »
The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2008, 09:19:12 AM »

Hoist! 8)

SERIOUS ???

I've never seen that in any of the forums ...........  I'll go ck it, and change it ............ KEWL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 09:25:10 AM by fxr4mikey »
The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2008, 09:21:09 AM »

Hey Mikey....FXWG or FXDWG...I think most of us knew what ya meant  ;D :2vrolijk_21: But a good catch by Howie for those who didn't ;D

Howie...Thanks for the lesson on title modifications; I didn't know that  :2vrolijk_21:

Neither did I    :-O

Title Change has been made !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kewl Beans !!!!!!!

Yep, you can change it ..... however the change IS NOT global .... you can change the 1st one .... which shows on the title in the board .... however that does not change each 'reply' post in the thread .....  but I went in and 'modified' each of mine in this thread ...........

still that is MUCH BETTER than other forums where you CAN NOT change the tilte once you post it up............ Thanks Hoist for the Tip !!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 09:29:17 AM by fxr4mikey »
The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2008, 11:22:54 AM »

Neither did I    :-O

Title Change has been made !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kewl Beans !!!!!!!

Yep, you can change it ..... however the change IS NOT global .... you can change the 1st one .... which shows on the title in the board .... however that does not change each 'reply' post in the thread .....  but I went in and 'modified' each of mine in this thread ...........

still that is MUCH BETTER than other forums where you CAN NOT change the tilte once you post it up............ Thanks Hoist for the Tip !!!!!!!!!!

I should have mentioned that it wasn't global to every post. Only the post you Modify. I changed mine too now! ;)

Hoist! 8)

Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.218 seconds with 20 queries.