Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11

Author Topic: What makes you stay where you live?  (Read 10729 times)

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
Re: What makes you stay where you live?
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2009, 12:22:53 PM »

For the last 24 years, Home is where the Army planted us.

Now that I retired from that we are looking for the next spot. Don't get me wrong, VA has a lot going for it. We have seasons, but haven't seen any snow in a long time. Then again it can be gawdawful hot in the summer, humidity is a trip. So we are looking at weather trends, fresh air, good water, and low to no state tax on retirement dollars. That last piece really narrows down the search, but keeps most of the country in play.

I like southern Ohio, cost of living is low, no taxes on retirement, 4 seasons, old friends and family are there too... then again, when we were in Nelson we became re-aquainted with the natural beauty of the PNW. So we haven't ruled out BC, Washington and Oregon, yet.

What was the question again? Oh yeah, what makes me stay where I live... that's easy, the economy and my mortgage. Once those two get a bit better, we will be from a different state.  :drink:

Just thought I'd throw this out from AARP.

http://www.aarpmagazine.org/travel/Articles/a2003-03-27-mag-bestplaces.html

screwup

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 SEUC 3
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2009, 04:35:54 PM »

:orange:retired 5 years ago after having lived in California, Nebraska, Iowa, Texas, Mississippi, Texas, Missouri, and Kansas plus a few places across the water.  Yes we travel a lot,by car, plane and scooter, visiting family, friends, and places we have not seen before.  However, it all seems to boil down to where is our family now.  sons, daughters and grandkids are all here locally and see them frequently.  Yes we would like it warmer in the winter, cooler in summer (mid 70s) so we can ride more.  We also realize that when the bottom line hits it is the family to which we have ties and want to maintain those ties.  Our siblings have said a number of times go live where you want, spend your money on what you enjoy, so we are, by traveling, buying a new scoot every so often, and enjoying life.  But even with all of the traveling, etc it is still good to be home to enjoy those aspects which make a home. 

ride safe and have fun.   heading to san Francisco, petaluma and other points around there this week. 

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2009, 05:29:50 PM »

Just thought I'd throw this out from AARP.

http://www.aarpmagazine.org/travel/Articles/a2003-03-27-mag-bestplaces.html

Look at the cost of the median priced home in San Diego (or anywhere in Calif.) compared to all the other locations.  Maybe there is hope for a real retirement......just have to figure out where that'll be. :nixweiss:

Talon, my brother lives in Divide, Colo. and he talks about all the Californians that move out there.  He said he sees it every summer......all the moving trucks.....after one winter here half have packed up and moved back to Calif.  The second winter another 25% have moved back.  He says "they don't understand you have to bring a 4 wheel drive tractor with a blade on it, when you come. ;D
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SESG
    • CVO2: 2005 seeg banana
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2009, 06:09:56 PM »

Money aside- So Cal from santa barbara to san diego has wonderful weather and beautiful women. I cant understand why everyone doesnt live here. If we get frost eveyone runs out to look at it. We do have the occasional flash flood,forest fire,earthquake & other natural disasters. Also all the damn liberals and illegal immigrants plus the price of everything! Come to think of it maybe i move too!! :bananarock:

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2009, 06:26:06 PM »

The wife's job is the only reason we're here. She's done in less than a year and we're headin south.

BAKRDS

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2009, 08:46:00 PM »

Live 10 miles from the house I lived in for the first 50 years of my life.
 Like it here except for the 3 months I spend in Las Vegas  Jan,Feb & March.
 Don't miss working outside all year.
'10 SESG
 '65 FLH

JoMo

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 08 black & chrome soft tail custom
« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2009, 09:26:18 PM »

MY FKING JOB and poor finantical planing

JoMo NYC  :coolblue:

screem

• Senior CVO Member
  • Ride Sober
« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2009, 09:30:01 PM »

the weather .... :orange:
2000 FLTRSEI
1995 Fatboy... Apes, Foot Clutch,Jockey Shift 6Gal Tanks/Flames
 RIDE SOBER

kruisin

« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2009, 01:38:19 PM »

Just waiting for my son to finish his senior year of high school.

Moving to TN (Knoxville area) later in the year. Love the area and the people I've met there. Looking forward the great riding in the area.

Hope that I can build a nice life there.
00 FLHRI suede green/vivid black
king tp
Bassani head pipes, Sampson mufflers
stage 1 a/c
chrome here, there and everywhere.

nidan

• 1K CVO Member
  • Keep the breeze between your knees

• CVO1: 02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2009, 02:22:30 PM »

I stay where I am to be close to my kids (17&20). When my daughter heads off to college and child support goes away I may move to someplace I like more.
CVO -'02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
'07 FLHX Stage II 103 95hp/111lbs ft
'09 FJR 1300- 145hp /99 lbs ft
2011 Mustang GT 412hp/390 lbs ft

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #55 on: January 14, 2009, 07:57:51 PM »

What makes you stay where you live?  Gravity, plus if I moved the "home" setting on my GPS would have to be changed.

or....

My wife & I are both Texas natives - have lived in Florida since 1994.  First couple of years we talked about moving back but as the years roll by, Florida seems more like home.  Weather is good - can ride 12 months a year.  Temps in North Florida can get cold at night - will be 18 later this week - but the day time highs even in "winter" are usually in the 50's or 60's.  No state income tax, sales taxes not that high, and the ocean is less than an hour away.  If global warming occurs, the ocean will be even closer.......
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

harleyteam

• 1K CVO Member
  • RED BIKES RULE

• CVO1: 07 SERK - Razor Red
    • CVO2: 90 Heritage Classic (non cvo)
    • CVO3: 75 XLCH (non cvo)
« Reply #56 on: January 14, 2009, 08:33:34 PM »

This ones easy.  I love the change of seasons.  Summer and Fall are spectacular.  Where ever I go I know someone.  I have the best neighbors, best grocery stores, best beer store.  For large city, international culture, Toronto is less than 2 hrs away.  My house has maintained all of it's value in the last year (at least that's what the assessor tells me).  Cost of living is low (but taxes are high).  Within an hour or so from home there are areas of such wilderness cell phones don't work but I can go to an off Broadway play with a 20 minute drive (I'm going to opening night of Rent tonight).  I'm close to Niagara Falls, Lake Erie (world class Walleye and Bass fishing), and Lake Ontario (world class Salmon and Steelhead fishing as well one of the best kept secrets in the world, the 1,000 Islands).  The weather is so crazy I could go skiing and golfing in the same week.  I don't have to worry about tornadoes, hurricanes, earthquakes, wild fires, or mud slides.  Blizzards are actually fun.  We build a fire have some beer and cook some comfort food.  The neighborhood restaurants and all fantastic and and lastly, I have a good job.

not to mention,,,,  it is possible in western New York, to experience all four seasons in one day.   :huepfenlol2:

like you said,  we may get snow.  but it melts.  we don't have to go looking for our belongings (or our house) miles away.

HA, HA, HA,  ,,,,, I LIKE IT !!!!!!!

life member - National HOG - NRA - NY Abate
member -CVOHarley - Nia. Falls Chapter HOG
              Red Knights NY21 - PGR

Rooster452

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 SERK
« Reply #57 on: January 14, 2009, 08:42:48 PM »

Actual by-god native Floridian born and raised in Palm Beach County. Family, job, freinds, and weather are about the only things keeping me here. Evrything else I loved is gone (low taxes, less people, frog hunting, air boating, off road riding, and a few things I can't mention).

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #58 on: January 14, 2009, 09:31:23 PM »

yo yo's???

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #59 on: January 14, 2009, 10:52:12 PM »

What makes you stay where you live?

That would be inertia.   My current location is the fourth I've had due to my job, and even though I'm now retired I just can't pull the trigger on packing up and moving again.  Plus, this is the closest we've lived to what's left of the wife's family since we were married, and she isn't too keen on moving right now.  I keep telling myself that once I get some health issues taken care of I'm going to get serious about finding a better place to live, but I think I'm just fooling myself.  It will happen when and if momma wants it to happen, and she doesn't seem to hate this climate as much as I do.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11

Page created in 0.176 seconds with 20 queries.