Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: daytona bike death today  (Read 3827 times)

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
Re: daytona bike death today
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2009, 09:01:09 AM »

I went on a Poker Run last year that stopped at 5 bars and ended at a marathon outdoor concert.  To make matters worse, we stopped at each bar for 40 to 45 minutes.  That was one scary day of riding.  People were have 2 and 3 drinks at each bar, and some were loading up on shots.  I tried to stay at the back of the pack for my own safety, but I couldn't seem to get in the absolute last position every time.  We were cruising about 80 mph down a stretch of highway, when out of nowhere, the guy behind me pulled right up beside me and started trying to tell me something.  Scared the livin' chit out of me. When we arrived at the next stop, I asked him what was wrong.  He told me he was just letting me know he liked the color of my bike.  Freakin' idiot!

Decano

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: SEUC2
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2009, 11:30:48 AM »

People in charge of poker runs who have official stops at bars can be liable in lawsuits.  I would leave the group if they stopped to drink for my own safety.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2009, 11:41:52 AM »

I'm not going on another one of those.  That one was courtesy of friends of my girlfriend at the time.  The people I ride with don't drink and ride, for the most part.

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2009, 12:59:41 PM »

Poker runs, bars and me don't mix. No one and I mean NO ONE likes to  :drink: anymore than I do, but when the drinking starts the riding stops for me. I've been too lucky this far in life to take the chance!  ;)
Mike
 :drink:
Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2009, 03:52:36 PM »

If I am on two wheels I never have more than two beers, and usually less unless it was a long stop with food.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

tazmun

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE (sold)
    • CVO2: 19 FLHXS All Black
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2009, 06:48:35 PM »

I am a HOG Road Captain, and I (we) have the same problem on guided rides. People just have to drink!
We watch the group, and as soon as someone "starts" acting up, we tell them they are no longer welcome
on the ride. There are hard feelings, but we have to protect the lives of ALL group riders, and we stand
hard on this rule. I like others, like to have a drink but NOT until the bike is parked.
The "TAZMUN"

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2009, 06:59:03 PM »

At our HOG chapter picnic last year, I decided that I'd like a have a beer or two.  I rode my bike home 20 miles, got in the car and drove back 20 miles, and I was happy that I did even for the one beer I ended up drinking.  I remember back to my younger days when I would have a few and get on the bike and even though I could tell I didn't have as much control over the bike, I couldn't seem not to twist the throttle excessively.   Last year at Delmarva Bike Week, I suddenly changed my tune.  I had no other way to get around and I went ahead and had a few drinks and rode back to the condo.  I had no problems, but I did find out that I no longer ride like a daredevil in that situation.  I stayed just under the speed limit, and used extreme caution.  I'm glad to find out that I've grown up enough to keep tabs on myself when I have had a drink, but I'm still not to proud of myself for drinking and riding.  I guess the fear of everything now versus the fear of nothing when you are younger can make a difference in how you ride.

JoMo

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 08 black & chrome soft tail custom
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2009, 10:59:28 PM »

I don't believe in drinking and riding its not safe or cool!!!!!

Jo Mo NYC  :coolblue:

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2009, 04:20:36 PM »

I have friends that have been stopped and convicted for DUI.  They had to go to some sort of a safety course as part of their rehabilitation process.

At one of those classes, my friend was told that on average, people that get caught for DUI have driven over 300 times being intoxicated and not stopped by the police.

That is one scary tid bit of information that I didn't want to hear about.  Just think, over 300 opportunities to hurt/kill someone or yourself.

Not me, I drink very little to begin with, but never drive or ride afterwards.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2009, 04:34:34 PM »

I do not or will ever ride after drinking, but there is one major difference between DUI cage drivers and Motorcycle riders.
Cage drivers have a much greater ability to injure those other than themselves.
Motorcycle riders mostly injure themselves and/or BSR's.
Not many injure others though, this is not to be taken the wrong way or as an excuse, just the way it is.
If DUI cage drivers only injured themselves, there would not be the outcry that there is.
Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

Bikin' Bob

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2009, 10:41:19 PM »

I'm with most others on this thread.  When my wife and I finish the day and the bikes are put away, that's when we have our drinks -- no ifs, ands or buts.  I know that I probably will get gutted for saying this, but perhaps those who do so and wipe themselves out are just doing what Darwin theorized years ago and that is letting their genes get wiped out of the pool.
Why squabble? Just ride!

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2009, 03:07:42 AM »

the drinking and riding never made any sense to me.     When I first started riding about 8 years ago, I rememember some one telling me, " no fender benders on a motorcycle". I never forgot that one and made iced tea (regular ones) my 2 wheel drink of choice. Makes us all real sad when we hear about something like this. I'm sure he will be missed by his family and friends.

RYANCVO

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 O/B SE ROADGLIDE
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2009, 11:02:35 PM »

there was another fatality on fri night in front of the broken spoke. a couple were crossing the street when a pickup hit them. driver thought to be dwi. both dead on impact. streets jamed for hours. lady in ditch under sheet and guy still under truck. we dont ever drink on the bike. even in daytona we jumped in a cage and one of our friends that didnt drink drove. no problems and we will live to ride another day.

cremebrulee

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2009, 11:18:24 PM »

I think the version of the death I heard was that the BSR was killed and the driver banged up. I could not bring up the link but that was what I heard on the radio while we were on our way home from Daytona. Sadness fills me regardless since someone lost their life but I do believe this was a bike two up.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2009, 11:39:35 PM »

I think the version of the death I heard was that the BSR was killed and the driver banged up. I could not bring up the link but that was what I heard on the radio while we were on our way home from Daytona. Sadness fills me regardless since someone lost their life but I do believe this was a bike two up.
I think you are both correct.......two different accidents.  :( spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 20 queries.