Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: How young is too young for a passenger  (Read 3946 times)

J-Carr

• Got to keep the Loonies on the path
  • Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE
Re: How young is too young for a passenger
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2009, 12:39:50 PM »

My son started on the tank of my '94 Sporty at 2.  Just around the little private developement I live in.  At 4 with a properly fitted street legal helmet and his feet resting ontop of the leather saddlebags he started riding on the back, everywhere we go.

5 years later my wife got her own license since she was getting left behind too much!  LOL.  Seriously, I had a problem with having to leave one of them behind.  So she really did get her own license and now we ride together as a family all the time.

My son will be 14 in 3 months.  He's ridden over 30000 miles with me.  Including a 1000 mile father son road trip out to and around Ohio and back with no particular destination in mind, and then a few months later out to Milwaukee for the 105th fiasco.  I hit a tire aligator which broke both of the rear swingarm mounts causing the bike to go into a wobble.  Without being asked he calmly spotted lanes and for me so I could get to the shoulder safely.  He also works on the bike with me.  In the last 2 months he helped me change the mufflers, and do the alignment from the group buy alignment tool we bought.  Actual help wrenching not just handing tools or standing around.

I don't know many parents who have that much interaction with a teenage child but I'm convinced it's helped our relationship and may even have kept him from getting involved in the wrong type of activites as he's part of our riding club and mostly participates in that stuff outside of swim team and scouts.  The government and Ralph Nadar types may have an opinion on what age, but personally putting my son on my bike when I did was the best decicion I ever made as a parent.

Ride Safe,
J-Carr

P.S. My signature pic is he and I on our road trip to Ohio this past summer.

Me, Screamin' Nemo and The Kid.

Crusty

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ex_Wingabego Rider & former Iron Butt riding fool

• CVO1: '09 SERG
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2009, 03:30:23 PM »

I don't know many parents who have that much interaction with a teenage child but I'm convinced it's helped our relationship and may even have kept him from getting involved in the wrong type of activites as he's part of our riding club and mostly participates in that stuff outside of swim team and scouts.  The government and Ralph Nadar types may have an opinion on what age, but personally putting my son on my bike when I did was the best decicion I ever made as a parent.

Ride Safe,
J-Carr

P.S. My signature pic is he and I on our road trip to Ohio this past summer.

That's awesome... good job dad!

I tried to get my wife into riding... but she never took to it.  :nixweiss:

Bikin' Bob

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2009, 08:36:21 PM »

J-Carr -- I have the same experience with my 13 year old son.  Heck, even when I need to take him for a haircut or something, it's always, can we take the Harley? 

And Powercorp, keep your daughter riding with you.  There is nothing that makes me prouder when my daughter and I pull up side-to-side (she has a 750 Shadow) in a biker area and she pulls off her helmet and they can't believe that this 19 year old could handle a bike as well as she does.

Bikin' Bob
Why squabble? Just ride!

twincamscreamer

• Junior CVO Member
  • True love is not a feeling but, rather a lifestyle
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2009, 08:07:28 AM »

I was seven years old when I started riding on the back of one of my Dad's fraternity brothers chopper.   :2vrolijk_20:This Hells Angel member ( CA-60's) and his girlfriend became two of the most influencial folks in my early childhood and if I knew where they were today I would thank them for giving me the love of riding I still hold today and showing me an attitude and lifestyle I hold until this day.  (Marla taking her shirt off going down the coastal highway and me copying her may not have been the best thing I got out of the influence) :yes: :angel:  but, they and my parents always made sure I was safe and had a great time.   :vrolijk_4:Still loving it just as much as I did at seven.  I believe this was a great gift bestowed upon me at an appropriate age. Still can't get enough of it and hope the feeling never goes away. :huepfenpinkie:

Debra

J-Carr

• Got to keep the Loonies on the path
  • Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2009, 08:36:42 AM »

I was seven years old when I started riding on the back of one of my Dad's fraternity brothers chopper.   :2vrolijk_20:This Hells Angel member ( CA-60's) and his girlfriend became two of the most influencial folks in my early childhood and if I knew where they were today I would thank them for giving me the love of riding I still hold today and showing me an attitude and lifestyle I hold until this day.  (Marla taking her shirt off going down the coastal highway and me copying her may not have been the best thing I got out of the influence) :yes: :angel:  but, they and my parents always made sure I was safe and had a great time.   :vrolijk_4:Still loving it just as much as I did at seven.  I believe this was a great gift bestowed upon me at an appropriate age. Still can't get enough of it and hope the feeling never goes away. :huepfenpinkie:

Debra

That's a very ccol story and I hate to cheapen it, but someone's gotta do this...

:worthless:

LOL!!!

Ride Safe,
J-Carr

Me, Screamin' Nemo and The Kid.

BMF-110

• " Ride Loud, Ride Proud "
  • Elite CVO Member
  • "Guess where"

• CVO1: 2009 FXSTSSE3 SERT V&H Big Radius-SERT-Bags- Seat
    • CVO2: 1997 FXSTSB Too many things to mention
    • CVO3: 1982 XLCH Hardtail-Stretched&Lowered
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2009, 11:03:27 AM »

Newbies up front,seasoned 7 or 8 tr. olds in the rear !!and heres what you get.
"Courage is fear that has said its prayers"

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2009, 02:37:53 PM »

BMF, Crusty & J-Carr - outstanding stories about you and your children! The photos are very touching and I am sure you value the memories! My dad was on crutches his whole life so motorcycles weren't part of our family but I clearly remember my first ride on a Honda 50 automatic - Holy Crap what a thrill. i rode it all I could. Was probably about 10 at the time. Graduated to 125 & 250 enduro's and then my first street bike in college (much to my mom's chagrin). Scoots are such great confidence builders, they make you the coolest of your peer group at any age and they are just so darn much fun!

Start 'em as early as it is safe to do so!

rganz

• Senior CVO Member
  • Do Unto Others----First

• CVO1: 09 SERG
    • CVO2: Fat Boy
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2009, 03:12:07 PM »

Awesome stories and pix everyone :orange:
My daughters enjoy riding too--as a matter of fact our whole family rides. Had to post because I received a heads up and a request to sign a petition when I was at a bike show in Edmonton Alberta Canada. Seems as if some wanker in the province of Ontario government wants to implement a law that makes it illegal to have passengers on any bike if they are under 14 years of age. The biking community in Ontario Canada is furious about this as is anyone in tourism. Not sure if this will become law but it would make a family bike trip through Ontario a thing of the past.
Never ceases to amaze me how some of these laws are dreamed up.  :stars:
Rob
Rob

Bikin' Bob

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2009, 05:44:43 PM »

As my 13 year old likes to say, those things (potential laws in your case) come from a bunch of "crack heads."

Bikin' Bob
Why squabble? Just ride!

Crusty

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2009, 06:57:42 AM »

You could be in Pakistan... no rules there! Saw many a family of 4-5 all on one bike... with their groceries... lol

BMF-110

• Elite CVO Member
  • "Guess where"

« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2009, 07:17:28 AM »

Don't let anyone fool ya,this guy is waiting for his 09 FXSTSSE3 for sure!!!!!

Crusty

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2009, 04:10:46 PM »

How'd you like to be the meat in this sausage sandwich?

Sorry, couldn't resist the  :jack:

BMF-110

• Elite CVO Member
  • "Guess where"

« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2009, 08:42:22 PM »

Sorry but that is just plain old wrong!        Nice Shoes too!!
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 09:41:58 AM by BMF-110 »
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 24 queries.