Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 20

Author Topic: Cam chain tensioners  (Read 52468 times)

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
Re: Cam chain tensioners
« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2009, 08:18:03 AM »

no the pushrods dont have to be replaced...

cams, lifters, pushrods, etc all stay the same

to

Unless you plan on removing the heads/rockers, the push rods have to be replaced. You have to cut the old ones to get them out.

Craig

TallyClassic

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2009, 08:39:07 AM »

According to what I've read, this brand new plate is specifically for the later bikes with the older cams.  And according to the shop manual, the cams come out with the plate.  If that happens then don't the lifters and rods fall out?  Isn't that the point of cutting the existing rods and holding the lifters up with a magnet or something?
I wasn't sure of what the new proceedures were for installing this new plate....it's obviously going to be different.

I suppose....while I was in there....do the nicer bearings.....

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2009, 09:17:15 AM »

According to what I've read, this brand new plate is specifically for the later bikes with the older cams.  And according to the shop manual, the cams come out with the plate.  If that happens then don't the lifters and rods fall out?  Isn't that the point of cutting the existing rods and holding the lifters up with a magnet or something?
I wasn't sure of what the new proceedures were for installing this new plate....it's obviously going to be different.

I suppose....while I was in there....do the nicer bearings.....

The camplate holds the twin cams as an assembly. The older style is NOT compatible with the newer hydraulic style. But the newer hydraulic style is retrofittable to the older models if a full hydraulic tensioner conversion and cam replacement is done too. The lifters are inside the lifter bores, which are part of the case. The pinion shaft on the crank, thru gears and/or chains, spins the cams, which move the lifters up and down in their bores, which in turn move the pushrods up and down inside push rod tubes, which in turn move the rocker arms to open and close the valves. Very simply stated of course, but it explains what moves what. So as a result, as Craig said, you need to take everything apart to replace, unless you cut the pushrods and push rod tubes out. You can not us the original push rods or tubes if not disassembling everything. And since the cams move the lifters, and the lifters move the pushrods, and in turn move the rockers, were it mine, I'd be replacing everything that wears off of each other. If I were doing cams, I'd be doing lifters and pushrods too. Some say it's not necessary with rollers, but I like having all new stuff when I do this. Although, a lotta good it did me last time! Had a lifter failure anyway! ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Sean M Cary

« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2009, 09:32:47 AM »

Although, a lotta good it did me last time! Had a lifter failure anyway! ;)

Hoist! 8)
I wasn't going to point that out...but you did.   :)

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #49 on: January 28, 2009, 09:53:16 AM »

He broke it....

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2009, 10:52:00 AM »

The camplate holds the twin cams as an assembly. The older style is NOT compatible with the newer hydraulic style. But the newer hydraulic style is retrofittable to the older models if a full hydraulic tensioner conversion and cam replacement is done too. The lifters are inside the lifter bores, which are part of the case. The pinion shaft on the crank, thru gears and/or chains, spins the cams, which move the lifters up and down in their bores, which in turn move the pushrods up and down inside push rod tubes, which in turn move the rocker arms to open and close the valves. Very simply stated of course, but it explains what moves what. So as a result, as Craig said, you need to take everything apart to replace, unless you cut the pushrods and push rod tubes out. You can not us the original push rods or tubes if not disassembling everything. And since the cams move the lifters, and the lifters move the pushrods, and in turn move the rockers, were it mine, I'd be replacing everything that wears off of each other. If I were doing cams, I'd be doing lifters and pushrods too. Some say it's not necessary with rollers, but I like having all new stuff when I do this. Although, a lotta good it did me last time! Had a lifter failure anyway! ;)

Hoist! 8)
So, the new chains will not match up with the older cams/sprockets?   :-\Just asking.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2009, 10:56:57 AM »

So, the new chains will not match up with the older cams/sprockets?   :-\Just asking.  spyder

To tell ya the truth spyd, I'm not sure about the chain itself. But the tensioners are different as are the sprockets. No way I'd change everything, and then try to reuse the chain anyway! ;)

Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2009, 11:01:07 AM »

To tell ya the truth spyd, I'm not sure about the chain itself. But the tensioners are different as are the sprockets. No way I'd change everything, and then try to reuse the chain anyway! ;)

Hoist! 8)
No, I was confused as to whether or not you could use the existing cams with the new cam plate kit. I know about having to cut push rods, etc....just was confused about whether the existing cams would match-up?  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2009, 11:02:13 AM »

if you can reuse the cams, i wish this kits was out last year when i did the cam plate/oil pump upgrade
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2009, 11:03:29 AM »

if you can reuse the cams, i wish this kits was out last year when i did the cam plate/oil pump upgrade

No, I was confused as to whether or not you could use the existing cams with the new cam plate kit. I know about having to cut push rods, etc....just was confused about whether the existing cams would match-up?  spyder

You CAN NOT reuse the cams! ;)

Hoist! 8)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2009, 11:06:36 AM »

Dept of Redundancy Department! Thanks for the clarification! ::)

Hoist! 8)

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2009, 11:19:50 AM »

You CAN NOT reuse the cams! ;)

Hoist! 8)
That's what I was thinking......just wondering what HD is thinking about 'replacement' cams with this upgrade kit?  Do they offer cams to match-up that are similar to the stock cams?  spyder

FUZZNUTS

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #57 on: January 28, 2009, 11:20:14 AM »

So with the new hydraulics style tensioner I can expect the bill to go from 600.00(for the originals) to about 1200.00 to 1500.00 ?
Someday's you hit them like Jack Nicklaus and someday's like Jack Ass

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #58 on: January 28, 2009, 11:22:02 AM »

Dept of Redundancy Department! Thanks for the clarification! ::)

Hoist! 8)

But if you running gear drive and just want the new plate and oil pump I think you can reuse the cams, but not the old chain drive cams. I might be wrong, I think it's happened before!  :confused5:

TallyClassic

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #59 on: January 28, 2009, 11:29:30 AM »

Come on guys,  this is a new cam plate/ oil pump kit from hd.  And only for bikes with the older cams.  Cams are reused.  Even the service manager said so.  The only thing I have to buy is the kit. NO CAMS!

Screamin' Eagle® Hydraulic Cam Chain Tensioner Plate Upgrade Kit

This kit updates the cam chain tensioner of your early-model Twin Cam engine to the latest design, as featured on the Twin Cam 96 engine. The billet cam support plate has been designed to allow the installation of the late-model hydraulic cam chain tensionser to early Twin Cam-equipped models. These hydraulic cam chain tensioners will significantly outlast the spring loaded tensioners, and are an ideal addition to an engine modified for improved performance. In addition, '02-'06 models feature the late-model single row front cam chain and sprockets ('99 - '01 models use the existing front silent chain). The kit includes the improved late-model oil pump that increases flow by 8% and scavenging by 22% to enhance other performance upgrades.

25284-08

IN-STORE PURCHASE ONLY Contact dealer for pricing and availability.

Fits '99-'05 Dyna® models, '99-06 Touring models, and '00-'06 Softail® models. Installation requires separate purchase of Spacer Kit P/N 25285-08.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 20

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 21 queries.