Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 20

Author Topic: Cam chain tensioners  (Read 52574 times)

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
Re: Cam chain tensioners
« Reply #90 on: January 28, 2009, 01:49:17 PM »

oh well in another 50k when its time for tensioners again i can put in this kit
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #91 on: January 28, 2009, 02:23:47 PM »

oh well in another 50k when its time for tensioners again i can put in this kit
Next time you'll be going gear drive, head work, maybe 103ci (at least). ;) ;D ;D

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

hogasm

« Reply #92 on: January 28, 2009, 05:46:39 PM »

So now we can reuse the origional cams in 06-earlier Twin Cams.

Does the Zippers 575 cam come in chain drive?

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #93 on: January 28, 2009, 05:49:55 PM »

So now we can reuse the origional cams in 06-earlier Twin Cams.

Does the Zippers 575 cam come in chain drive?
Yep. :2vrolijk_21:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

gremlush

• I may not be good, BUT, I am slow.
  • Full CVO Member
« Reply #94 on: January 28, 2009, 08:42:54 PM »

Don't worry ,in another year you will be able to buy a 07 with the NEW chain dr. cams for 1/2 price. Glad I'm retarded uhmm ,retired and DON'T pay taxes ,disabled. That brain aneuryms was good for something ! Dewey

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #95 on: January 28, 2009, 08:55:05 PM »

This would have to be in the "Giving the Devil its due" category.  But there's a thanks that should go out to the folks at P&A for putting this new kit out there.  Unlike most of the new accessories it doesn't support or is not supported by current production motorcycles.

It does in fact speak to a need that many here have recognized for a long time.  But it's a need the MoCo has casually side stepped directly addressing since its inception and done so without any great problem or negativity going there way because of it.  In short they didn't have to do a direct drop in replacement like this.  And they really didn't have to do it at a price point that is so competitive compared to the aftermarket.

They seemed to have directly met a need (ableit a few years after the rest of the world knew the need was out there), did it very price competitively and did it effectively.  Thanks MoCo.  It may not help either of my bikes at this point.  But every person here is or knows someone who might be helped by this new package.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #96 on: January 28, 2009, 11:58:31 PM »

This would have to be in the "Giving the Devil its due" category.  But there's a thanks that should go out to the folks at P&A for putting this new kit out there.  Unlike most of the new accessories it doesn't support or is not supported by current production motorcycles.

It does in fact speak to a need that many here have recognized for a long time.  But it's a need the MoCo has casually side stepped directly addressing since its inception and done so without any great problem or negativity going there way because of it.  In short they didn't have to do a direct drop in replacement like this.  And they really didn't have to do it at a price point that is so competitive compared to the aftermarket.

They seemed to have directly met a need (ableit a few years after the rest of the world knew the need was out there), did it very price competitively and did it effectively.  Thanks MoCo.  It may not help either of my bikes at this point.  But every person here is or knows someone who might be helped by this new package.
Just hope it works.   ::) har!  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #97 on: January 29, 2009, 08:11:00 AM »

This is a topic I will be watching until next fall.  Thanks all for your research. 

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #98 on: January 29, 2009, 08:50:27 AM »

I agree up to a point Don.  While it's commendable (and hard to believe) that they have offered this upgrade path, it still bothers me that the consumer has been left to deal with the deficiencies of the original design.  The number of choices for corrective action have been increased by one with the addition of this kit, which is a good thing.  But the fact remains that the consumer still pays for a design and manufacturing flaw.  For me to get all mushy and start patting the MoCo on the back, they would need to offer to pay at least part of the cost to fix their problem.  I wish this kit was being offered by an aftermarket company; I still hate the idea that H-D is profitting from their own mistakes.

I still think those who want to eliminate the tensioner issues on older models will want to look at gear drives first.  The cam timing is much more precise with gears, and as long as crank runout isn't an issue this will remain the best upgrade.  For those who have a little too much runout for gears, however, this new kit will give them another option without having to split the cases and true the crank. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #99 on: January 29, 2009, 11:37:48 AM »

I agree up to a point Don.  While it's commendable (and hard to believe) that they have offered this upgrade path, it still bothers me that the consumer has been left to deal with the deficiencies of the original design.  The number of choices for corrective action have been increased by one with the addition of this kit, which is a good thing.  But the fact remains that the consumer still pays for a design and manufacturing flaw.  For me to get all mushy and start patting the MoCo on the back, they would need to offer to pay at least part of the cost to fix their problem.  I wish this kit was being offered by an aftermarket company; I still hate the idea that H-D is profitting from their own mistakes.

I still think those who want to eliminate the tensioner issues on older models will want to look at gear drives first.  The cam timing is much more precise with gears, and as long as crank runout isn't an issue this will remain the best upgrade.  For those who have a little too much runout for gears, however, this new kit will give them another option without having to split the cases and true the crank. 

Jerry

Completely agree Jerry.  And personally I do still prefer gears; if the crank allows it.  Pats on the back to the MoCo are a relative thing.  Relative to their normal SOP this is a good thing from them.  Effort and availability above and beyond what we'd normally expect from them.  Like any good mutt it can't hurt to praise the effort.  Deficiencies in long term effort notwithstanding it's deserved for the effort as a standalone and, if not, the dog will never do it again.

gremlush

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #100 on: January 29, 2009, 01:57:31 PM »

Let me tell you the truth about ' shoes'. It is the quallity {or lack of} that is the problem. I have been making footpegs for 15+ years and  buy rubber{square} o-rings for them in boxes. Some last 5+ years ,some 1 year. Look at them , NO DIF. Why is it that some bikes get 50,000+ miles out of them and some get 15,000 or less ? Mine were gone at 16,000 miles and I used Mobil 1 and changed every 3000 miles. Tell me please. I think that a 'aftermarket' company should make these shoes and have GOOD quallity and there would be NO problems for 50,000 + miles. Look at your primary chain shoe. 80,000+ miles ,NO WEAR ! Whatever. Me and you and a dog named BLUE....

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
« Reply #101 on: January 29, 2009, 02:58:06 PM »

Let me tell you the truth about ' shoes'. It is the quallity {or lack of} that is the problem. I have been making footpegs for 15+ years and  buy rubber{square} o-rings for them in boxes. Some last 5+ years ,some 1 year. Look at them , NO DIF. Why is it that some bikes get 50,000+ miles out of them and some get 15,000 or less ? Mine were gone at 16,000 miles and I used Mobil 1 and changed every 3000 miles. Tell me please. I think that a 'aftermarket' company should make these shoes and have GOOD quallity and there would be NO problems for 50,000 + miles. Look at your primary chain shoe. 80,000+ miles ,NO WEAR ! Whatever. Me and you and a dog named BLUE....

I'm sure that the shoes could be higher quality, BUT, most service managers agree that the cam chain is the difference between the great variance in shoe life.  I've looked at many myself and can immediately tell a great difference in the smoothness of the chain.  Many have rough enough edges that they would cut thru anything.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #102 on: January 29, 2009, 06:37:40 PM »

Many have rough enough edges that they would cut thru anything.

Anything :nixweiss: ?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #103 on: January 29, 2009, 07:44:54 PM »

I'm sure that the shoes could be higher quality, BUT, most service managers agree that the cam chain is the difference between the great variance in shoe life.  I've looked at many myself and can immediately tell a great difference in the smoothness of the chain.  Many have rough enough edges that they would cut thru anything.

:2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

gremlush

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #104 on: January 29, 2009, 10:06:08 PM »

YES ,you are right about the chain , BUT, splain to me why some bikes get 60,000 miles and some get 10,000 miles , same chain, YES ? Quality of the shoes maybe ?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 20

Page created in 0.189 seconds with 25 queries.