Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Advice on Brightest Front and Rear Lighting for 08 SERK  (Read 2100 times)

deaf1

• Senior CVO Member
Advice on Brightest Front and Rear Lighting for 08 SERK
« on: January 31, 2009, 06:39:54 PM »

After going down last year,  I want to make sure I am seen...

I have a stock 08 SERK....  Thoughts were to go with the HD driving lights with Sylvania UltraStars,  and UltraStarts in the Hi/Lo Beam as well...

Also I would like more lighting for the rear,  as the brake light is kinda small..

The Kuryk.  5005 seems cool,  and I dont mind relocating the turns.....

Last and not least,  comments on air horns????

thoughts and comments welcome!
Scott

harleyteam

• 1K CVO Member
  • RED BIKES RULE

• CVO1: 07 SERK - Razor Red
    • CVO2: 90 Heritage Classic (non cvo)
    • CVO3: 75 XLCH (non cvo)
Re: Advice on Brightest Front and Rear Lighting for 08 SERK
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 08:17:58 AM »

Harley has a little pigtail wire setup to plug in under your seat,  that lets your rear turn signals operate as markers and brake lights.  plus if you use smoked lenses, you can put in the after market red bulbs.  they are really bright.

HA, HA, HA,  ,,,,, I LIKE IT !!!!!!!

life member - National HOG - NRA - NY Abate
member -CVOHarley - Nia. Falls Chapter HOG
              Red Knights NY21 - PGR

SERK3

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 FLHRSE3
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 08:55:29 AM »

I have 07 SERK, i changed my Rear tail light and front and rear turn signals to Kuryakyn LED's the rear flash's several times when you apply brakes then stays on until you release brakes. Evetone that i ride with says they will get your attention. The rear tail light has the equailizer built into it, and the equailzer come with the front and rear turn signals, you mount it under the seat, Takes maybe an hour to install all of them. and the LED's look good also. :2vrolijk_21:
07 SCREAMIN EAGLE ROAD KING, RAZOR RED WITH GOLD FLAMES
V&H DUALS WITH HI-OUTPUT SLIP-ONS, ZIPPERS THUNDER MAX w/AUTOTUNE, NESS BIG SUCKER, LED TURN AND BRAKE LIGHTS. FARING, HARD BAGS & KING TOUR PAK.
LIVE EASY, RIDE HARD

deaf1

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 11:26:24 AM »

I have 07 SERK, i changed my Rear tail light and front and rear turn signals to Kuryakyn LED's the rear flash's several times when you apply brakes then stays on until you release brakes. Evetone that i ride with says they will get your attention. The rear tail light has the equailizer built into it, and the equailzer come with the front and rear turn signals, you mount it under the seat, Takes maybe an hour to install all of them. and the LED's look good also. :2vrolijk_21:
Do you have the P# for that?? Also does it keep the front turns on as running lights???

Thx!!!

SERK3

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 FLHRSE3
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 11:56:59 AM »

deaf1, 5410 Tombstone Rear Tail light
          4822 Rear Turn Signals (Red)
           4825 Front Turn Signals (smoke)  4836 (amber) I think
          4859 Run-Turn-Brake Controller with Pulse Brake Capability

yes the front turn signals stay on as running lights, and rear as well

All the above part #'s are Kuryakyn and are LED's
07 SCREAMIN EAGLE ROAD KING, RAZOR RED WITH GOLD FLAMES
V&H DUALS WITH HI-OUTPUT SLIP-ONS, ZIPPERS THUNDER MAX w/AUTOTUNE, NESS BIG SUCKER, LED TURN AND BRAKE LIGHTS. FARING, HARD BAGS & KING TOUR PAK.
LIVE EASY, RIDE HARD

ad2

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 10:29:08 AM »

First I tried the red bulbs behind the amber lens with teh Kuryakyn Run_Brake connection so they stayed on. Looked good, but riding buddies said they couldn't tell when I hit my brakes and couldn't pick up on the turn signals at all. So, went with Kuryakyn LED's. Nice. Super bright. I have them in the rar tombstone, as well as the turn lights.

Air horn - I've tried a couple but settled on the Mini Beast. Great horn. I've ordered the new style that was supposed to be out a few months ago, but they're having some issues. The original is nice though.
2007 Screamin' Eagle Road King

Razor Red, Garmin 660 GPS, Passing Lights, Rear LED Run-Turn-Brake, Saddle Shields, Hard Bags, DeadCenter Fairing, XM Satelllite Stereo, Mini Beast II Air Horn, Neck Covers, C&C Fastback Seat, Wheel Dock Center Stand, Chubbys 575, 8" Recurve Shield

deaf1

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 08:46:51 PM »

What Bulbs are the Hi/Low beam and the 2 driving lights?

Scott

dmnrdn

• Avoid the 8P's
  • Full CVO Member
    • KS
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2009, 12:21:57 AM »

On the Spots the brightest I have found are some 886's  Standard from what I understand are 881.  The brightest have seen on 881's is 35W.  I have been running the 50W 886's for 2 years and they are much brighter.  These are the ones I have  http://www.donsbulbs.com/cgi-bin/r/b.pl/886.html

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2009, 01:57:33 PM »

Sorry to hear about your situation, hope everthing gets back to normal quickly. I just placed an order for a headlight kit through Jim aka HD-Dude, he is listed in the vendor section on this site. I have serious trouble seeing well at night and the increased brightness during the day may help me be seen sooner which could be a life saver. I just did the Traxxion AK-20 kit and told myself I would not make any more purchases until the savings were built up but since everything was apart for the install I purchased the light kit anyway. Jim is highly respected and trusted by the members on this site and the product he carries is top notch.
I just read a post today on this site (can't remember where) from someone who installed a new super bright light for the rear, the website was listed as well. It's a darn shame we spend so much on our bikes and have to throw additional money at some basic improvements. I have limited most of my purchases to improve the safety and handling of the SERK, speaking for my self those areas are more important than adding some chrome thingy. Since there are so many choices out there I read most of the current post using the search function on this site and I feel confident in my choice. The only other item I seriously need is a quality radar detector. I'm on thin ice in that department. It wouldn't hurt to e-mail Jim and get his number and give him a call, he will be able to find the right product for your needs.

Good Luck

Ray G. 

ad2

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2009, 09:53:01 PM »

RayG - I like the Valentine 1. Keeps me out of trouble.
2007 Screamin' Eagle Road King

Razor Red, Garmin 660 GPS, Passing Lights, Rear LED Run-Turn-Brake, Saddle Shields, Hard Bags, DeadCenter Fairing, XM Satelllite Stereo, Mini Beast II Air Horn, Neck Covers, C&C Fastback Seat, Wheel Dock Center Stand, Chubbys 575, 8" Recurve Shield

Jcarl08

• Junior CVO Member
    • TX

• SPIARTSgraphics
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2009, 08:42:58 AM »

Deaf1, by now you have made your purchase and installation. For future members let me share how I approach rear lighting. Before beginning RayG is right-on-it H-D could make this simple, we will pay for it regardless. I love LED’s, but face it they are not as bright as bulbs. Now this is my second attempt adding rear light on my serk. The first set melted, reason, too cheep. I begin with a backoff modular, and I found that it would sit perfectly in the tombstone housing. Expose the brake lead and sorter them.

I did want to change the look of the rear with a gaudy add-on or LED’s. I wanted the lighting to have some distance from the tombstone. I purchase the mini lamps from JC Whitney.  Every distributor sales this style now. I needed a better bracket that comes off the saddlebag rail. Home Depot sales elbow heavy weight galvanize brackets and with a hacksaw, power drill, and a file fabricate a brace for your lamps. Wire the running light to the running lights. If I remember correctly, the lamps are 35 watts. The housing is metal and has two filters. I could only get one to work and seal the housing. The light is bright and blazes, which makes it annoying, and car driver are always passing me at night.

I have 7 picts
I hope that is not too many
Jcarl
• I picked up my pal October 12, 2007
This is my slogan coined years ago, "I love to ride and ride what I love" I am an artist and photographer down in Houston, Texas that loves the two wheel experience.

Jcarl08

• Junior CVO Member
    • TX

• SPIARTSgraphics
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2009, 08:45:14 AM »

Backoff
Jcarl
This is my slogan coined years ago, "I love to ride and ride what I love" I am an artist and photographer down in Houston, Texas that loves the two wheel experience.

Jcarl08

• Junior CVO Member
    • TX

• SPIARTSgraphics
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2009, 08:46:32 AM »

close up view
Jcarl

Jcarl08

• Junior CVO Member
    • TX

• SPIARTSgraphics
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2009, 08:47:30 AM »

top view
Jcarl

Jcarl08

• Junior CVO Member
    • TX

• SPIARTSgraphics
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2009, 08:51:24 AM »

The lamps projects a wide spread of light.  I am getting ready to modify that reflector on the signal bar. H-D could have done that for the serk.
Jcarl
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 25 queries.