Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Bike won't start???  (Read 5431 times)

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
Bike won't start???
« on: February 08, 2009, 02:27:29 PM »

Push the button, one click and then nothing.  Hooked the battery tender up and after about 5 or 10 minutes, push the button and get a series of quick clicks now.  Does that sound like leaving it charge longer may get it to start?  Fortunately, it's my neighbors bike...not mine.

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
Re: Bike won't start???
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 02:38:21 PM »

DB....

You can leave it on the tender overnight but if its that far down the batt may not recharge.

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

Sean M Cary

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 02:43:17 PM »

DB....

You can leave it on the tender overnight but if its that far down the batt may not recharge.

yeah, concur with that...  I had the same happen to me, would not start even with a jump, off to battery heaven.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 02:44:44 PM »

If it starts, will it charge itself while running?

Sean M Cary

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 02:48:23 PM »

If it starts, will it charge itself while running?

yeah, but will quickly crap out again if its toast...

I remember Hoist/Howie stating that the low batt conditions could screw with our electronics, I am keeping that in mind and replacing my batt in the SERK this spring.

Guess I should have changed it for the winter, but it lights right up, even in the upper 20's - so I am not freaking out yet.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 02:49:57 PM by Florida Marine »

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 02:51:24 PM »

It's my neighbor...she's a widow and this was her husband's bike.  She wants to sell it and now she's in a total panic.  I just want to get it started and show her that it's no big deal...just get a new battery and I can put it in for her and she doesn't have to worry.  If it doesn't start, I think she'll have a total meltdown.  I guess I'll go back over and try it again.  Thanks.

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 02:55:29 PM »

No doubt batteries way down but check the battery cable connections at both ends.

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2009, 03:00:59 PM »

No doubt batteries way down but check the battery cable connections at both ends.

^^^^ Yup... ground on the chassis/motor and hot to the starter.

Let it sit overnight on the tender. You dont want to overtax the mediocre charging system by trying to ride-charge it. Its possible to kill the VR by doing that.

A new batt is ~ $100... stator/regulator replacement is much more.... and you'll still replace the battery anyway!

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member
  • 06' FLHTCUSE Black Candy Crimson/Slate

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2009, 03:29:37 PM »

^^^^ Yup... ground on the chassis/motor and hot to the starter.

Let it sit overnight on the tender. You dont want to overtax the mediocre charging system by trying to ride-charge it. Its possible to kill the VR by doing that.

A new batt is ~ $100... stator/regulator replacement is much more.... and you'll still replace the battery anyway!

I believe that if the battery is low and you only put it on the tender for 5-10 minutes, it is not enough time to charge the battery back up for those cranking amps needed to turn it over.  I too would leave it on the tender for an overnight charge and give it a try in the a.m.

Oh yeah... Check the connections too.

By the way how long was the bike sitting? and is it the origional battery?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 03:31:27 PM by 49445CVO »
Why is it that I never seem to succeed the first time, unless I screwed up?

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2009, 04:00:01 PM »

I believe that if the battery is low and you only put it on the tender for 5-10 minutes, it is not enough time to charge the battery back up for those cranking amps needed to turn it over.  I too would leave it on the tender for an overnight charge and give it a try in the a.m.

Oh yeah... Check the connections too.

By the way how long was the bike sitting? and is it the origional battery?

It's the original battery in an 07 RK.  The bike has been sitting since the latter half of 07.  He died a few months after buying it.  I keep telling her she needs to sell it, especially since she is still making the payments on it and doesn't know how to nor wants to learn how to ride a bike.  I've started it up occasionally and it always started first try, including last month.  I was actually shocked when it didn't start today.  It's on the battery tender and I'll try it again late tonight or tomorrow morning to see if it has enough to start it up.  As of a few minutes ago, it had enough to get as far as one puff out the pipes, so letting it sit may at least get enough juice to get it started and once we are certain it's the battery, I can put a new one in for her.  Thanks everyone.

planenut

• 1K CVO Member
  • life is short enjoy the ride
    • NJ

• CVO1: 2022 Road glide Limited Wicked orange Pearl and Blackhole
    • CVO2: 18 115 cvo limited anniversary #1068(sold)
    • CVO3: 15 cvo Limited Maroon and silver (sold)
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2009, 04:03:43 PM »

let it charge,I would wait until its atleast 80% charge,on some battery tenders its when the green light starts to flash and the red one is on :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:
Fullsac headpipe TAb Performance 4.5 slash 2.5 baffles
SERT program   horsepower hd cam
freedom shields 13 in
Custom Dynamics full lighting Ft and rear
Soundz 6 speaker set up 1k amp
Legends Axeo ft and Revo A in rear

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member
  • 06' FLHTCUSE Black Candy Crimson/Slate

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2009, 04:07:44 PM »

Cool!  I believe that because it has been sitting and it is colder out, the battery is weak and might not need to be replaced just charged up from time to time.  If you or she wants to get a new battery I would not get it until the weather changes and starts to warm up. Otherwise you might be in the same position.

Topper
Why is it that I never seem to succeed the first time, unless I screwed up?

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
    • HI

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2009, 04:33:56 PM »

It's the original battery in an 07 RK.  The bike has been sitting since the latter half of 07.  He died a few months after buying it.  I keep telling her she needs to sell it, especially since she is still making the payments on it and doesn't know how to nor wants to learn how to ride a bike.  I've started it up occasionally and it always started first try, including last month.  I was actually shocked when it didn't start today.  It's on the battery tender and I'll try it again late tonight or tomorrow morning to see if it has enough to start it up.  As of a few minutes ago, it had enough to get as far as one puff out the pipes, so letting it sit may at least get enough juice to get it started and once we are certain it's the battery, I can put a new one in for her.  Thanks everyone.

In my experience, batteries in bikes that dont get used last about 2 years, then they are done.

If its been started regularly and ridden for 20-30 minutes at highway speed that will usually bring the battery back to normal.

It sounds like you've started it and just let it run for a bit. In essence you'll just be running the battery down as youre drawing from the battery to start but never allowing the charging system time to catch up.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2009, 04:36:53 PM »

Push the button, one click and then nothing.  Hooked the battery tender up and after about 5 or 10 minutes, push the button and get a series of quick clicks now.  Does that sound like leaving it charge longer may get it to start?  Fortunately, it's my neighbors bike...not mine.
For the amount of riding time this bike is getting she may want to invest in a Battery Tender and leave it plugged up to that at all times. However she really needs to do something with the bike, ride it or sell it. Bad enough bikes have to sit during the colder months in some places, but it sounds like the amount of or lack of riding this bike is getting more then just the battery is going to start to go bad. Sooner or later seals are going to dry out and that bike will be leaking in more places then you can shake a stick at. :(

Also you'll definitely want to give the battery tender time to do the job. Experiencing a similar situation w/battery in my wife's car. She got home Friday night and said she thought she heard something still running when she got out of her car. It was late and I was in the bed sleep, next morning she gets up to go to work and car will not start. I go out to give her a jump and when I raise the hood I can hear what sounds like a fan running. Her car has an auxiliary electric fan for the radiator and I believe this is malfunctioning. Long story short... took the battery out the car and put it on my battery tender to see if I could bring it back up enough to start the car to get it to the shop. It's been over 24 hours and the green light is just starting to flash. I'm hoping by in the morning it will be charged enough to get her car to the shop to eliminate a tow bill where they can fix the electrical issue and check the battery.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

AXIL

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2009, 04:37:13 PM »

long slow charge with a 2 amp-4 amp tapper down type charger is your best bet. battery tenders wont charge if  
voltage is under 5 to 6 volts and will take for ever if it does come back.   good luck             axil
I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING AND I GOT MOST OF IT LEFT  
AHH,MOONSHINE THE OTHER WHITE MEAT
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.181 seconds with 24 queries.