Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Bike won't start???  (Read 5418 times)

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
Re: Bike won't start???
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2009, 05:00:44 PM »

long slow charge with a 2 amp-4 amp tapper down type charger is your best bet. battery tenders wont charge if  
voltage is under 5 to 6 volts and will take for ever if it does come back.   good luck             axil

Going to leave it on the battery tender for the night and if that doesn't do it, I have a 2 amp charger here I put on there.  If neither one works...looks like it's time to buy a battery.  Any suggestions on where to get a battery?  I called Pep Boys, AutoZone, and Advance Auto...none of them say they have one for this bike.  I don't think she wants to pay the Harley price - $149.95.  I hope it starts and gets her in gear to sell it.  I hate seeing that nice bike just sitting in the garage with 1900 miles on it.

Godeater

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2001 ScreaminEagle Road Glide Blk/Sil
    • Radical Cycle
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2009, 09:52:23 PM »

Check terminals and see if it has brass or lead spacers between the cables and the terminal its self.  If they are the crappy brass ones tight them with in reason, or better option is to replace them with the lead ones.  The brass ones vibrate loose and and arch and not conduct voltage or ampherage when you push the button and load the circut.  But more then likely its a down battery due to sitting in the cold.
2001 FLTRISE2 103 Stroker
Screamin Eagle Forged Stroker Crank
Screamin Eagle Forged Stroker Pistons 5 Over
Stock Jugs 5 Over
Polished and Ported Stock Heads
Manly Titanium Springs 640 Lift
Manly Stainless Valves
Screamin Eagle Cam Plate and High Flo Pump
S&S 585 Gear Drives
Horse Power Inc. 51mm Intake with Screamin Eagle 25 deg Injectors 62 psi Fuel Reg
Power Commander III USB
Screamin Eagle Heavy Breather
D&D Fatcat Stand Baffle
Baker OD6 speed
Lowered 2 inchs
Danny Grey Seat

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2009, 10:15:13 PM »

Just got the bike started.  Leaving the tender on overnight, and I'm going to take the bike for a long ride tomorrow.  I told her we will need to make sure we start it and run it for a while more often.  Hope she sells it.

Iglide

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2009, 11:19:31 PM »

Hey 1aba,

The battery may not be down for the count just yet. If it has set for a couple of years and only been started occasionally, then it has not had any recharge time. I am not surprised that it has run down. And that process has not done it any good. A trickle charge will take time to build up the battery to acceptable levels, at least overnight. But, that is the best way to go. Check it after over night recharge with a VOM meter set to volts DC. It should read above 13 volts. If it reads below 12 volts after recharge... chunk it.... Sounds like a battery issue at this point, I wouldn't fuss over it too much.   ;)
The impossible just takes a little longer

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2009, 12:02:31 AM »

Follow Axil's advice, he has done his homework on this.
Jesus is Lord

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2009, 04:07:14 PM »

Fird00d & Axel are correct. 

$.02 more:  If you need to start, the HD is a 12 volt system and can be jump started from any car or even anther bike so long as it is a 12 volt system.  Connect leads to good battery,  positive on battery of bike to be started and then ground / frame of bike.  Bike should then charge self if you run it for a while.  If it does not hold charge, then battery is probably bad from lack of use. 

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2009, 04:15:43 PM »

I may be wrong, but I didn't think battery tenders were meant to charge a dead battery, just maintain a charged battery that was sitting. I remember hearing that somewhere.

Craig

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2009, 04:19:36 PM »

I may be wrong, but I didn't think battery tenders were meant to charge a dead battery, just maintain a charged battery that was sitting. I remember hearing that somewhere.

Craig
They will not charge it (I know that for a fact :)), but they will bring it back up enough to jump it so you can get the car to the shop and not pay a tow fee. :D :D

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2009, 04:29:46 PM »

If its a late model CVO it could be the ACR's also, had a buddy go round and round with that until the recall . Doc

Iglide

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2009, 04:31:07 PM »

Not sure what a "battery tender" is???  I would use a slow 5-10 amp charger overnight. Those type of chargers work well for fully charging a battery that is in good shape and just run down. But... what do I know ???

Of course there is "floating charge" and "equalize charge", bunch of other boring stuff.....

ME 76003
JE 35341
The impossible just takes a little longer

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2009, 04:37:10 PM »

Not sure what a "battery tender" is???  I would use a slow 5-10 amp charger overnight. Those type of chargers work well for fully charging a battery that is in good shape and just run down. But... what do I know ???

Of course there is "floating charge" and "equalize charge", bunch of other boring stuff.....

ME 76003
JE 35341
It is a battery maintenance device (see about them here) designed to keep a battery charged. As Talon mentioned they probably aren't designed to charge a dead battery. My issue was it was all I had at the time and I had wife w/car problems so it charged it enough for me to be able to jump her car to get it to the shop. Before putting the battery on the battery tender jumping it wouldn't even start it.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2009, 04:44:17 PM »

Aww Dave, helping the widow next door, how nice. maybe she'll bake you a cake.
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2009, 04:45:10 PM »

Bad thing is from what I gather this is a new bike, what's draining the battery?? As for the ACR, the first post says that he just gets a click, I would think if it was a ACR, the starter would engage but possibly wouldn't turn over, or at least not very fast, but the starter should engage.  

Craig

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2009, 05:38:28 PM »

The battery tender worked fine and the light turned green last night, and it started right up.  It started right up again today and I took it out for a ride and it seems to be fine.  She is now going to remind me once a week to take her bike for a ride, until she can find a buyer.  The bike has been sitting for about 1.5 years without riding it and very occasionally starting it for a short bit.  With the extreme cold that we had here and not running it at all, it doesn't surprise me that the battery was too weak to turn over the engine.  It did have enough for the headlights to come on bright, but not enough to start the bike.  Everything seems fine for now.  If it doesn't start again next week, then it's not holding the charge and a new battery will be in order.  If it still starts first try in a week, I think the battery is probably in decent shape and I'm not going to get too concerned.

to LarryB...what's wrong with helping my widowed neighbor out?...her hubby was a riding buddy of mine and that's the bike, that when I saw it, caused me to go out and buy the same one.   Can I help it if I'm a nice guy?...and the answer is NO, I have no interest in her whatsoever...before you ask.

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member
  • 06' FLHTCUSE Black Candy Crimson/Slate

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2009, 10:54:29 PM »

Don't forget to check the tire pressure
Why is it that I never seem to succeed the first time, unless I screwed up?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 20 queries.