Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All

Author Topic: Nova Scotia trip help!  (Read 12437 times)

bunt

• Full CVO Member
    • TN
Re: Nova Scotia trip help!
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2009, 12:09:14 PM »

I'm planning on staying in Portland 7/31 and catching ferry to Yarmouth 8/1 and riding to Halifax or as far along the Lighthouse we get on Sat. afternoon.
Once you're set on the whens and wheres let me know. I'd like to spend couple nights on Cape Breton and a night on PEI also probably Wed. or Thursday.
Sounds like it could be a Maritime CVO Rally.
Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film. (Steven Wright)

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2009, 12:30:20 PM »

As A kid we took the ferry from Bar Harbor, ME to Nova Scotia, had lobsta in a restaurant in Bar Harbor that was just off the docks. Been a long time, but it was great. Camped on the Bay of Fundy, and when then tide goes out it goes almost a mile out. You can walk to a small island at low tide, but need to keep track of the tide. You can see it coming in. Did come claming, for little neck clams to have with our dinner, also looking for amethysts.

http://www.bayoffundytourism.com/

hogasm

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2009, 08:30:37 PM »

So where do you stand on this one...It may work for me...I will be in DC until August 2nd and could leave after that date!

:2vrolijk_21:

I am open most any time :2vrolijk_21:

Give me a call

Just thought about July 23. It is when they are having their bike rally. Might not be a good time, so anytime in August is good

hogasm

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2009, 08:31:29 PM »

I'm planning on staying in Portland 7/31 and catching ferry to Yarmouth 8/1 and riding to Halifax or as far along the Lighthouse we get on Sat. afternoon.
Once you're set on the whens and wheres let me know. I'd like to spend couple nights on Cape Breton and a night on PEI also probably Wed. or Thursday.
Sounds like it could be a Maritime CVO Rally.

Will do...just need to see when Jock is available

flyingwillie

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 05 Cherry SEEG__Sold
    • CVO2: 06 Autumn Haze SEUC__Sold
    • CVO3: 09 Silver/Blue SEUC 4
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2009, 08:43:25 PM »

We did the same trip as Bunt did......the hi speed cat ferry from Bar Harbor to Yarmouth.  Do not miss the Cabot trail and Cape Breton.  We then ferried to PEI and rode back via New Brunswick.  IN total a week in Nova Scotia.
Warning:  there are two seasons up there......winter and road construction.  We probably had to stop for extended periods two dozen times during the week.  Moreover the pot holes are tough.  The bolts on the header pipes of two of our bikes came off and we had down time in PEI to get them fixed.  Rough rough roads but the scenery is well worth it. Have fun. 

flyingwillie

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 05 Cherry SEEG__Sold
    • CVO2: 06 Autumn Haze SEUC__Sold
    • CVO3: 09 Silver/Blue SEUC 4
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2009, 08:55:53 PM »

We did the same trip as Bunt did......the hi speed cat ferry from Bar Harbor to Yarmouth.  Do not miss the Cabot trail and Cape Breton.  We then ferried to PEI and rode back via New Brunswick.  IN total a week in Nova Scotia.
Warning:  there are two seasons up there......winter and road construction.  We probably had to stop for extended periods two dozen times during the week.  Moreover the pot holes are tough.  The bolts on the header pipes of two of our bikes came off and we had down time in PEI to get them fixed.  Rough rough roads but the scenery is well worth it. Have fun. 

PS: you need to make advance reservations for the Ferry.  They have special tie downs for the bikes....no worries.

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2009, 09:45:33 PM »

I am open most any time :2vrolijk_21:

Give me a call

Just thought about July 23. It is when they are having their bike rally. Might not be a good time, so anytime in August is good

Just got a call from my riding partner to Alaska and she is seeking to plan a trip to NE in Sept.  Depending upon how many days we need I think we can still make the other trip work.

Bungy

• Senior CVO Member
  • Keep your stick on the ice
    • AB

• CVO1: '08 SEUC annie
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2009, 10:58:28 PM »

Don't get too concerned though, as a vistor there is a rebate program in effect where you can get a big chunk of what you paid back on your return to the States.

There will be documents advising how this works at your port of entry/departure:

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/bsnss/tpcs/gst-tps/rbts/menu-eng.html

Nova Scotia is beautiful, the people are awesome!

FYI - The visitor rebate program was cancelled some years ago. Just think of it as helping out you poorer northern cousins!
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2009, 09:33:42 AM »

no more rebates, but still worth the trip
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2009, 10:05:19 PM »

no more rebates, but still worth the trip

Rebates or not I want to go...life is getting shorter and there is so much to accomplish!

charger

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 CUSE3
    • CVO2: 10 FLHXSE
    • CVO3: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2009, 01:40:04 PM »

Nova Scotia and Cape Breton are awesome, the Cabot Trail is a must see. Catch the Hog Rally if you can. I was in Cape Breton for the 06 Canadian National and those guys can party! !. Was there again last year without the bike. May do the trip again this year in July (not firm yet) Just a couple of heads up's, keep the rain gear handy and keep yours eyes open for pot holes (you can lose a bike in some of them) While your there be sure to check out PEI also.

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2009, 08:42:42 PM »

Are there any other ferry's that travel between Bar Harbor and Yarmouth other than "the Cat"??  One way for a bike w/trailer and 2 passengers is pretty expensive.  Couldn't find any other ferry's between these two locations?
From Nova Scotia to PEI, it is not that expensive (is a regular ferry).  Thanks in advance.

bunt

• Full CVO Member
    • TN
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2009, 10:04:59 PM »

That's the only one I know of there was an older one but they shut it down (I think because of mold infestation) a few years back.
You can drive from NS to PEI the ferry and bridge aren't that far apart.
Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film. (Steven Wright)

Bungy

• Senior CVO Member
  • Keep your stick on the ice
    • AB

• CVO1: '08 SEUC annie
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2009, 11:42:56 PM »

From Nova Scotia to PEI, it is not that expensive (is a regular ferry).  Thanks in advance.

Those PEI'ers have it figured out - they don't charge for the ferry to the island, they charge to get off!
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Itsadrag

• that hurt
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2009, 11:08:05 PM »

Not sure about what the best way in from the U.S into Nova Scotia is, but I can tell you this the CAT Ferry is crazy expensive, and you would be missing a nice ride across the lower main land and St. Lawrence River by taking the ferry. In Canada we have provincial and federal taxes, and as stated above you would be able to reclaim a big chunk of the taxes you paid. The federal tax is constant regardless of the province or territory, while provincial taxes do vary, in Ontario we pay a 5% tax on goods and services, and 8% federal tax. Anyway, I did the trip last year and loved the area and atmosphere so much I extended my trip into P.E.I, New Brunswick, and Cape Breton. This is a trip that is well worth a lot of planning before you depart because you want to enjoy it, see everything and the people are so friendly and inviting. I am planning on going back next year, and now that I know how much they have to see and do, I will be a little more prepared and hopefully without losing my job this time around, last boss didn't like my 3 week holiday turning into 7 weeks, lol.  Have a great one and a safe one.
Is spring here yet?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All

Page created in 0.176 seconds with 24 queries.