Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: full faced modular helmets  (Read 15119 times)

altugo

• 1K CVO Member
  • Screw it let's ride!

• CVO1: FLSTFSE2 nebula yellow/ cobalt blue
    • CVO2: FLTRSE3 yellow pearl / charcoal slate
Re: full faced modular helmets
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2009, 08:15:33 AM »

I am using shoei multitec and very happy with it.It has noise cancelling skirts that really work and very confortable.I used Harley and Nolan, Harley disassembled real quick and with Nolan my chin was touching the interior jaw area of the helmet.This one is pretty robust with wind noise cancellation and very comfortable for my shape.Only bad thing about it was the price over here.Its a bit costly.Its about 500 in USA.I strongly recommend it.
Heres the link for US:

http://www.shoei-helmets.com/Helmet.aspx?Multitec&h=13&t=1
Ridin Legend

awalker14

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 FLHTUCSE Black/Crimson
    • CVO2: 19 BMW R1250 GSA
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2009, 09:28:10 PM »

Anybody looked at the Shark Evoline full faced modular?  The chin guard flips 180 degrees back and is made so you can ride with it that way as well as closed.  Neat concept and reviews seem good but would like to hear from anybody here who has tried one?  Would also want to put a JM headset into it and wondered how it would fit.

See it at http://www.americanrider.com/output.cfm?id=2104471
06 Black/Candy Crimson FLHTCUSE; V&H TD's Ovals SE AC PCIII; SE Hyd Tens & Camplate Redshift 575's; Detach TP w/ Corbin Gunfighter; Zumo w/ 8gb SDHC (a lot of tunes)Clearview 8" Recurve; Minibeast II 128db Airhorn

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2009, 11:10:47 PM »

Nolan N102 or the new N103. Your not far from me if you'd like to see the 102, I have on at the shop. 8) Many here have and love the Nolan 102.

Terrie and I both have the Nolan N-102.  I think they come in red, too.  Oh.......and did I tell you.......Jim's a Nolan rep. :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • States Riden on 2009 CVO
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2009, 01:58:39 PM »

Use an HJC Sy-Max II for the past year when on the road and love it. Really quiet as far as wind noise goes. Love the internal sun visor and use it all the time. The ability to flip up the face shield is great when coming into a town.
Around town I use a Fulmer with a flip up shield. I leave it on my riders seat rest when I go into stores and wouldn't be real upset if it got stolen. Can't say that about my HJC.
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

Sean M Cary

« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2009, 03:26:24 PM »

Any other help with modular helmets? 8)

I have an HJC-Symax that is good to go, painted to match my GOLD SERK...

megavolt17

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2009, 03:43:37 PM »

I have an Ultra.  I looked at some modular helmets and it seems there is no way to use them with the HD mike and headphones.  I know they make wireless setups, but I like to plug in and not have to worry about charging the batteries, etc.

Are there any modular helmets that will work with the mike/boom and ear phones used with the HD intercom/CB setup?

Thanx!
Megavolt17

2008 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic Electra Glide (FLHTCUSE3)
105th Anniversary Crystal Copper and Black Onyx
HD High Intensity Discharge (HID) Dual Bulb Headlamp
HD Illuminated LED Windshield Molding Kit
HD Air Wing Tour-Pak Luggage Rack with Smoked Lens LED Rack Light
Küryakyn Panacea Blue Dot Smoked LED Taillights and Turn Signals
"Roll Your Own" SE Air Cleaner
SE Street Performance Touring Mufflers
SE Race Tuner
Traxxion AK-20 cartridges
Bitubo HD 300mm shocks

fourstar

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLHTCUSE4
    • CVO2: 04 FLSTCI
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2009, 06:29:55 PM »

I have an Ultra.  I looked at some modular helmets and it seems there is no way to use them with the HD mike and headphones.  I know they make wireless setups, but I like to plug in and not have to worry about charging the batteries, etc.

Are there any modular helmets that will work with the mike/boom and ear phones used with the HD intercom/CB setup?

Thanx!

I have a  Zox modular that I installed J&M speakers and mike into and it is a very clean installation that works quite well with all components of the HD/Harmon Kardon Advanced Audio system.  It is not, however, a job for the faint of heart as it involves disassembling the ear pads, and cutting foam with a Dremel tool.  
The audio quality on the HD unit that came with the bike is pretty poor at best.  I wouldn't go to the trouble of installing it because it wouldn't be worth it.  Also, JM does some factory installs with Nolan and Arai modular helmets.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 06:37:35 PM by fourstar »
“Red! I want red, there's no substitute for red!”
                                                             -Sammy Hagar

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2009, 10:39:42 PM »

Trudy & both have the Stealth, 3 years and almost 50k miles.  I agree that there is some wind noise all closed up, open the face shield to create a slight lip up over the hemet & it gets quiet.  I rode for 40 years in a 1/2 or 3/4 helmet and now I am really sold on this helmet.  I have been at 90mph with the entire flip face open with no negative issues.  I have installed the J&M hedsets in them and we are very satisfied overall.

The fit is always the issue, you have to find one, try it on, walk around the store for 30 minutes with it on.  See if you get pressure points, better in the store than on the road.  

The other thing is they are in a price range where in a few years if you want something different it doesn't brake you to throw them away.
For the price the Stealth looks like a good value to me.  It is made by KBC and I have one of their 3/4 face Tour Com helmets now which I really like.  It fits my head shape very well whereas the HJC does not and the Nolan is questionable for fit on me.

Did you have to cut out around the ear pads to install the J&M speakers?  Looks like much too tight a fit otherwise.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

RickC

• When I was 42, I was the answer life, the universe and everything. Now, I'm all that *and* a side of fries!
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHR Vivid Black
    • CVO2: 2009 FLTRSE3 Stardust Silver / Titanium Dust **TRADED**
    • CVO3: 2010 FXDF Vivd Black **TRADED** | 2007 FLTR Vivid Black / Red (a/k/a "Red Nipples") **TRADED** | 2005 FLTRI Black Pearl / Grey (a/k/a "The Black Pearl") **TRADED**
    • Rick Rocks On!
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2009, 09:51:38 AM »

I am also pleased with the Shoei multitech. I usually cannot wear Shoei because my head shape is a better match for Arai, but this particular model has worked for me.

I did not like the H/D modular at all - poor head shape fit and the air noise was much greater than with the multitech.

Because I wear a size 8-1/4 hat (65cm circumference) finding a helmet large enough to fit is a real issue. That is complicated by the fact that my head is much longer (front to back) than it is wide (side to side).

Yes, you could say that I have a  big head... and a narrow mind... and you would be anatomically correct, LOL!

I spent the last several months researching helmet manufacturer's offerings for something that had a reasonable chance of fitting. Several years ago, I had tried on an Arai Profile and it fit well, but I didn't want to spend $600 for a helmet.

However, to make a very long story shorter, I finally came back to the Arai Profile. No other helmet that I could find is both available in a 65cm size *and* has the long, narrow shape that fits my head. This is not a modular. It is a full face helmet. I found a good deal on a silver Arai Profile ($472) online with a company that promised to exchange or refund if it did not fit.

This is the first helmet that I have owned since I started riding that does not make my head hurt after 30+ minutes of riding. Yeah, it's a little warmer than a half-shell or 3/4 helmet. However, I can actually wear a skullcap or dew rag under this helmet where I can't with any other helmet I've owned. In addition, I have much less wind noise as well as better protection than a half-shell or 3/4 helmet.

All-in-all, this is the right choice for me for everyday riding. We'll see what happens when I hit the road to Sturgis in August...

tony1968

• Full CVO Member
  • SEI2
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2009, 09:52:26 PM »

I have a Shoei multitec, previously owned a Nolan.  The shoei is 100% improvement over the Nolan. 

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2009, 09:26:48 AM »

:2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

I agree.  I was told that Arai was introducing one.

Also, look at the Shark.  Cool helmet.

HJC also, makes two different kinds and the new ones are nice.  I have one and I like it.

:huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3:
2010 FXDFSE2 CVO Fat Bob, V&H staggers, Windshield, saddle bags, passenger back rest. 

2011 CVO Ultra Glide, Progressive Monotubes, Ultra 944's, Power Vision, ceramic headpipes, Cellset, Cee Baileys 15" and Fullsac 1.75"
Former 2009 SE Ultra, Rineharts, Stage I, PC V with autotune non cat header pipe
Former 2007 SE Ultra, D&D, Stage I, TMAT Metzlers
Former 2006 Dragonfly Ultra
Former 1999 Road King

TheVgirl

• 1K CVO Member
  • Hold on bro! Life is one heckuva ride.

• CVO1: 2005 VRSCSE Two-tone Electric Orange and Black
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE2 Sunrise Yellow Pearl and Stingray Silver sold
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2009, 05:48:46 PM »

I have a Shoei multitec, previously owned a Nolan.  The shoei is 100% improvement over the Nolan. 

Really?  I am happy with the Nolan but it is a little heavy!  What makes it better? 
After getting hit in the face while riding and making a trip to the ER, I don't ride with a half-helmet anymore. 
~TheVgirl~  2005 VRSCSE Two-tone Electric Orange and Black

"The shortest distance between two points is a straight line, but on a motorcycle you want to take the longest way to get there."  - Jerry "Motorman" Palladino

woode

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: Anniversary FLHTCUSE8
    • CVO2: (Retired) Ruby Red FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2009, 02:50:17 AM »

I have an Ultra.  I looked at some modular helmets and it seems there is no way to use them with the HD mike and headphones.  I know they make wireless setups, but I like to plug in and not have to worry about charging the batteries, etc.

Thanx!
I have an H-D "System" modular helmet, that is essentially a rebranding of the HJC Sy-Max model.  I easily installed the H-D headset into it, and into an offbrand 3/4 helmet that my wife uses. I can't see why it wouldn't be just as easy to install in just about any helmet with removeable padding.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2009, 10:00:53 AM »

Terrie and I both have the Nolan N-102.  I think they come in red, too.  Oh.......and did I tell you.......Jim's a Nolan rep. :2vrolijk_21:

Just read your first post......again.  The Nolan N-102 might not work for Anne.  Terrie has the smallest one that Nolan makes and it's still to big for her.  Other than that issue for her....it's a great helmet.  Very quiet, fits me great (best fitting I've ever worn), designed to be functional with gloves on (open the chin bar, release the chin strap, etc.) and not an issue at speed with the chin bar up, although I don't make that a habit.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

nidan

• 1K CVO Member
  • Keep the breeze between your knees

• CVO1: 02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2009, 04:53:31 PM »

I 've had 2 Schuberth's and they were both great.

I have a Shoei now , a bit noiser but a good helmet.

I'm looking at the Suomy D20 when it's time for replacement - has  Blue Tooth  see http://www.suomy.com/communication/EN/
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 07:32:30 AM by nidan »
CVO -'02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
'07 FLHX Stage II 103 95hp/111lbs ft
'09 FJR 1300- 145hp /99 lbs ft
2011 Mustang GT 412hp/390 lbs ft
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.185 seconds with 20 queries.