Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Stabilizing bike on Sears jack  (Read 2139 times)

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Stabilizing bike on Sears jack
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2009, 05:20:11 PM »

I have the Sears aluminum jack too, and I think the primary stability issue is the near wheels are too close together, unlike the J&S set up. I'm never very confident with this thing.
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

JDOFLHRIDER

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • 2010 FLHTCUSE5 BURNT AMBER -HOT CITRUS
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2009, 05:38:27 PM »

My jack was very unstable and I found a loose bolt and the fit was loose so I put a bushing and it's alot better .I would check all bolts and fitment.Ride safe jdo
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 07:43:49 PM by JDOFLHRIDER »

starvin

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2009, 05:57:47 PM »

I guess I'm doing something wrong?? I've left my bike up on the jack for the winter since it was new (Nov. '03). Up here in Wi. thats about 5 months a year. With the lock down and the pressure off the hydraulic jack it seemed pretty stable I don't even use the straps. I have the red sears. I wouldn't of wrote this had i not let it down and went for the first ride of the year last week. I always heard it was best to take the weight off the tires for storage but maybe its not worth the risk.

Dave

JP

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 SEFB Sold
    • CVO2: 09 SERG o/b
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2009, 11:08:40 PM »

My jack was very unstable and I found a loose bolt and the fit was loose so I put a bushing and it's alot better .I would check all bolts and fitment.Ride safe jdo

Thank`s, will check the bolts

kurtlange

• Full CVO Member
  • chrome me
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2009, 07:22:39 AM »

i'm w/ skul. mine's been up on the red sears lift since nov. straps on both sides and the jack lock engaged, it's pretty secure. i've been sitting on it [vroom, vroom... :huepfenjump3:] testing out the fitment of new bars even.

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2009, 10:31:24 AM »

Imho, the red & black steel jack should be much more secure than the yellow aluminum because the wheels are are out at the 4 corners. The aluminum jack on the other hand is set up lit a tripod, with the outer wheels are at the far corners, but the two inner wheels are very close together, which is the primary problme with the stability. If I use it, I only lift it no more than a couple of inches, even with straps.

That all said, none of the Sears crap holds a candle to J&S's lift.
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

K-Dog

• CVO1: 2009 Softail Springer CVO Black w/emerald green
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2009, 07:29:24 PM »

I had the aluminum Sears jack for a day and took it back. I then bought a jack from J&S jacks and it is amazing how stable it is compared to the sears jack, I wouldn't trust anything else now. I leave my 09' Softail Springer all the way up all the time w/no tie downs. This jack is awesome I actually roll the stand around w/the bike on it w/no problem at all. The jack is a little more than twice the price of the Sears one ($359.00 if I remember right), but well worth the piece of mind. Check it out at (jsjacks.com).

Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 20 queries.