Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: CUSE4 and BITUBOS  (Read 6968 times)

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 120r motor Black Diamond/Crimson Tag Graphics
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Riptide Blue/Titanium Dust
Re: CUSE4 and BITUBOS
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2009, 08:44:32 PM »

I moved my wire door latches today on my saddlebags so I'm ready to test the Bitubos with the reservoirs facing forward and down. Like I said in a prior post above, even though I shimmed the front saddlebag connectors on both bags 1/4 inch, it looks like I have only 1/8 to 3/16 inches of clearance between the saddlebag and reservoir on the left side but more on the right side. The cover to replace the old wire hole sticks out slightly less than 1/16 inch. The grommet and wire for the latching system sticks out 3/16 to 1/4 inch so I'm quite sure I would have sheared my wire clean off on the left side if I didn't move it notwithstanding the shimming. Here are my pictures. The 2nd picture focuses on top of the reservoir and the replacement cover is somewhat blurred, but you can see it was right in line with the stroke of the Bitubo reservoir. Hopefully this solves my clearance issues and provides guidance to those that want to put these shocks on a SEUC4.

Randall

Here is the left side after shimming front saddlebag connector 1/4 inch away from bike frame. You can see the reservoir in focus and the plug I put in the old wire location is slightly out of focus, but it should be clear to viewers I needed to move it. Either my bags and bike are slightly different than Trot's bike or my Bitubo reservoir on the left side sticks out toward the bag a bit more than other manufactured Bitubos. My right side I'm getting clearance like Trot's bike.

Below in this picture the reflection is the top of the reservoir on the left side and the old wire cover is in focus. It looks like it will barely clear. If the reservoirs in the down and forward position have a tendency to move in toward the wheel upon shock compression like Traxxion says, I'll be in good shape.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 04:45:06 PM by rheiner »

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2009, 11:48:54 PM »

Randall

Have you stuffed your saddlebags to capacity to flex them out some? Does the fit seem to be ok now? For this kind of money, they should fit without having to do mods.

JW
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 11:51:55 PM by Black Diamond »

PR3VS56

• Elite CVO Member
    • BlackSheep Harley-Davidsons for Christ
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2009, 03:20:50 AM »

Thanks for all the trial/error with fit.  I have a set waiting to be installed. 

I also spoke with TD about the reservoir -- it makes absolutely no difference up, down, or sideways.  You could have a remote reservoir in an alternate location to provide the same benefit.  All the reservoir does is allow for expansion of the oil when hot in order to retain same dampening characteristics hot or cold.  That's it.  The reservoir has an air pressured piston that will allow for expansion or contraction of the fluid.  It's just air pressure holding the oil firm in the reservoir (air on 1 side of the piston, oil on the other).  Gravity has no measurable effect. 

Redline V-Twin Syn 20W50 (winter), 20W60 (summer) in the crank case.
Redline Heavy Shockproof in the tranny.
Amsoil Super Shift Syn ATF in the primary.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2009, 03:58:12 AM »

For this kind of money, they should fit without having to do mods.

JW

The shocks were never designed with our bikes in mind.  We use the proper length because we can and because the shocks work well as a suspension item.  The European manufacturer was never building with Harley baggers in mind though.  That's on us.

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 120r motor Black Diamond/Crimson Tag Graphics
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Riptide Blue/Titanium Dust
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2009, 07:21:57 PM »

Randall

Have you stuffed your saddlebags to capacity to flex them out some? Does the fit seem to be ok now? For this kind of money, they should fit without having to do mods.

JW

Yes, I've loaded the bike down and tested full flex and compression of the shocks to the point of bottoming out. They're working for me now, no rubbing on the saddlebags but I don't know what would happen if I took the 1/4 inch shims off the front saddlebag connector.

Randall

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2009, 08:29:17 PM »

The shocks were never designed with our bikes in mind.  We use the proper length because we can and because the shocks work well as a suspension item.  The European manufacturer was never building with Harley baggers in mind though.  That's on us.

I hear that Don. I really like what I've read from everyone with the Bitubos. However...I just can see me parting with that much molla when my insensitive butts been riding for going on 35 year on whatever is on the bike. Glad I'm ignorant to what it could be!  ;)  :D

Yes, I've loaded the bike down and tested full flex and compression of the shocks to the point of bottoming out. They're working for me now, no rubbing on the saddlebags but I don't know what would happen if I took the 1/4 inch shims off the front saddlebag connector.

Randall

Glad you got her fixed. May you have many miles and smiles.

JW

hdnut

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2009, 09:16:20 PM »

So what way should the canister be ,front or facing back on a 2004 SEEG? :orange:
hdnut

PR3VS56

• Elite CVO Member
    • BlackSheep Harley-Davidsons for Christ
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2009, 09:41:29 PM »

So what way should the canister be ,front or facing back on a 2004 SEEG? :orange:

They told me forward because it has a tendency to torque in if it's forward (out toward the bags if toward the rear).

Redline V-Twin Syn 20W50 (winter), 20W60 (summer) in the crank case.
Redline Heavy Shockproof in the tranny.
Amsoil Super Shift Syn ATF in the primary.

hdnut

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2009, 09:50:00 PM »

Thank You!! :orange: I'm dropping off my bike tomarrow to get the Bitubo's and the Ricor fork upgrade. And I can't wait!!!! :orange: :2vrolijk_21:
hdnut

hdnut

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2009, 08:07:05 PM »

Won't be able to pick the bike up until Saturday , so i will update You guy's than or Sunday morning! :orange:
hdnut

hdnut

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2009, 05:27:22 PM »

I picked up my SEEG today and it rides great!!! The Bitubos and the Ricor fork upgrades work nice together!!! :orange:
hdnut
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 21 queries.