Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Yellowstone?/Yosemite  (Read 3376 times)

nidan

• 1K CVO Member
  • Keep the breeze between your knees

• CVO1: 02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
Re: Yellowstone?/Yosemite
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2009, 08:47:33 AM »

While Yosemite is spectacular it is ridiculously crowded in mid summer.  Yellowstone is just astounding in its diversity.

From a bike perspective  I'd pick Yellowstone
CVO -'02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
'07 FLHX Stage II 103 95hp/111lbs ft
'09 FJR 1300- 145hp /99 lbs ft
2011 Mustang GT 412hp/390 lbs ft

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2009, 12:05:20 PM »

While Yosemite is spectacular it is ridiculously crowded in mid summer.  Yellowstone is just astounding in its diversity.

From a bike perspective  I'd pick Yellowstone

We just came through Yosemite last week and it was still crowded, mostly with European tourists. They have a Fall bloom of flowers and the changing of the leaves in the mid elevations that was quite spectacular. I guess the only thing that stops tourism is the snow and the limited access till the passes reopen in May.  Doc 

32Lager

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Ultra
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2009, 12:38:30 PM »

We have been thinking about that very thing for a couple of years! We are on the east coast also. Just have not had the time to plan it out. Keep us posted if another bike won't cramp your style.  ;D  Bill

We talked about this trip with friends yesterday and I think we just picked up a few more couples :) My weekend searching tells me that H.O.G. offers fly and ride locations at Boise, Idaho, Salt Lake City and Las Vegas. These seem like the best options for most of the parks but they all have at least one park that's a long distance away - either Glacier or the Grand Canyon. That's a big area out there !

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2009, 04:03:13 PM »

:bananarock: :bananarock: :bananarock:

You can fly into Las Vegas for a fly and ride to lots of places including the Grand Canyon.  A great ride and wonderfull place to stop and understand why it is called the grand canyon.

Plus, Hoover Dam, and all kinds of cool places in Utah.

Would be a great place.  Plus, not bad spending time in Las Vegas.

:coolblue: :coolblue:

2010 FXDFSE2 CVO Fat Bob, V&H staggers, Windshield, saddle bags, passenger back rest. 

2011 CVO Ultra Glide, Progressive Monotubes, Ultra 944's, Power Vision, ceramic headpipes, Cellset, Cee Baileys 15" and Fullsac 1.75"
Former 2009 SE Ultra, Rineharts, Stage I, PC V with autotune non cat header pipe
Former 2007 SE Ultra, D&D, Stage I, TMAT Metzlers
Former 2006 Dragonfly Ultra
Former 1999 Road King

brassspike

• Elite CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2009, 07:48:33 PM »

We talked about this trip with friends yesterday and I think we just picked up a few more couples :) My weekend searching tells me that H.O.G. offers fly and ride locations at Boise, Idaho, Salt Lake City and Las Vegas. These seem like the best options for most of the parks but they all have at least one park that's a long distance away - either Glacier or the Grand Canyon. That's a big area out there !

We have done the fly and ride in Vegas. LV HD is great on the rentals. I don't think that I will ever get tired of the grand canyon. Last January we did a trip to Vegas and did a route through death valley, Scotties Castle and back to Vegas....by car. Death Valley was actually cold! The views were breathtaking. I want to do it on a scoot. Miles and Miles without meeting a single car! I forget the name, but there is a small motel/gas somewhere in mid trip and I would say to stay there to give time for "exploring" and enjoying the ride. I have the gps on it stored somewhere.
One for my bucket is Yellowstone, grand Tetons and SD. I'm ready!!!
I wonder what it would cost to ship a bike there and back? I have the same time issues that you seem to have.
Bill
RETIRED! :fireman:

32Lager

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Ultra
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2009, 08:37:55 PM »

Our last trip to Sturgis was in 2007 and it's hard to forget the 1500 mile ride one way. It's a great ride when you're not pressed for time but we want to spend as many days as we can in the national parks.

There are different ways to ship a bike and they're all pricey. I think the going rate for the trucks doing e-bay shipments is around $500 one way. That's too much for me.

brassspike

• Elite CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2009, 08:46:02 PM »

I agree. Fly and ride seems to be the best bet. AND you don't have to clean the bike!  :bananarock:

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2009, 08:55:33 PM »

:coolblue:

There is a group of six or seven bikes being shipped from San Antonio to HD dealer in Ventura area for about $250 per bike one way.

Then up to Seattle along Pac 1 and then drop the wives and ride home.

Shipping costs vary significantly but are greatly reduced with oncreased numbers.

2010 FXDFSE2 CVO Fat Bob, V&H staggers, Windshield, saddle bags, passenger back rest. 

2011 CVO Ultra Glide, Progressive Monotubes, Ultra 944's, Power Vision, ceramic headpipes, Cellset, Cee Baileys 15" and Fullsac 1.75"
Former 2009 SE Ultra, Rineharts, Stage I, PC V with autotune non cat header pipe
Former 1999 Road King

brassspike

• Elite CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2009, 09:27:37 PM »

There is a group of six or seven bikes being shipped from San Antonio to HD dealer in Ventura area for about $250 per bike one way.

Shipping costs vary significantly but are greatly reduced with oncreased numbers.

That sounds a little better and would more than cover a rental for 10-14 days. I'll have to check into it further.

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2009, 02:03:55 AM »

:bananarock: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenlol2:

Plus you get to ride your own bike.

:coolblue: :coolblue:

Former 1999 Road King

9 1/2 Beers

• Blu
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 (ZIGGY) Stardust Silver / Twilight Blue
    • CVO2: 2022 Ultra Limited FLHTK Reef Blue / Vivid Black
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2009, 09:13:34 AM »

????????
marty
"Let the road go on forever and the party never end "
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 24 queries.