Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 06 Radios with GPS  (Read 2815 times)

jeffj

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Teach a man to swim, but not while he's drowning"

• CVO1: 2004 Orange Pearl and Jet Black FLHTCSE & 2002 Candy/Brandywine FLHRSEI
    • CVO2: 2006 Autumn Haze FLHTCUSE Sold - 11-11-12 Bought another 2006 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2003 Gold FLHRSEI2 Sold CVO4: 2002 Purple FLHRSEI Crashed
06 Radios with GPS
« on: October 20, 2005, 02:03:51 PM »

I know the subject has been asked a few times but I thought there might be some more members using it or thinking about adding GPS.

How does the system work?
Do you have to type in address or is it voice activated?
Are there maps in small screen?

Any input would be appreciated as I am not 100% sure I want/need it....grrrr
I just got word my 3rd quarter bonus check is being mailed in next 10 days and oh boy is it starting to burn a hole in my pocket.

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
Re: 06 Radios with GPS
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2005, 02:12:04 PM »

fxdjerry has it, as i understand it and i'm sure he will correct me if i'm wrong, its turn by turn but no map, and programming it requires a CD-Rom to be loaded
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2005, 02:32:07 PM »

fxdjerry has it, as i understand it and i'm sure he will correct me if i'm wrong, its turn by turn but no map, and programming it requires a CD-Rom to be loaded

It does set the clock automatically at least!

Well, except for Daylight Savings Time...and time zone I thought he mentioned which again is funny since the gps WILL know your timezone!  What a half-hearted and half-baked accessory.
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

fxdjerry

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2005, 09:34:38 AM »

If someone has the the bucks to spend...then go for it. I like the system. For use on a motorcycle it's very good. The cd really does not have to stay loaded all the time.  I installed it myself and I would buy it again.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2005, 12:21:38 PM »

Spent a couple of hours one afternoon on an 06 with the nav unit.  It really is just a turn/turn nav unit with trip computing functions.  Not a mapping GPS.  For as much as it can be it's ok.  Comparing it, however, to a 26XX Garmin mounted up on the handlebars I'd do the Garmin everyday and twice on Sunday.  I like integrated gadgets; don't get me wrong.  It's just that for the same or less money you can get a lot more capability and vehicle-to-vehicle flexibility.  

The fairing mounted GPS unit is also an option that some around here have used.  It seems to work adequately but has shown a tendency to breakage, its screen is smaller and it's not a touch screen.  Some no doubt love it.  I'd have to think twice about spending as much for it as a more capable 26XX series Garmin AND having to drill holes in the fairing to mount it.

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2005, 12:54:14 PM »

I have been using an older model Garmin (Streetpilot)  bolted to the handlebars for several years.  I totally agree with Twolanerider that having the maping is far more useful than the integrated non-maping unit.  One of the best features of a portable unit is the ability to take it inside and plan/program  the next day's route. Tire marks in a Holiday Inn Express might be frowned upon.    
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

SEUC-OCD

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE - OCD
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2005, 01:10:57 PM »

I saw the Garmin 2730 (latest version of the 26xx) at GPSCity for $899 (MSRP $1,299).  It has XM Traffic/Weather/Radio capability.  The traffic/weather feature will allow the unit to provide a better route around, or atleast warn you what's up ahead.   Supposed to ship 2006-01-09.  They are now on back-order there.

The 2720 model is pretty much the same, only it doesn't have the XM stuff and and they have it for $750.

Like IROAR indicated, portability is a huge advantage.
84 GoldWing GL1200i (mint... pretty much)
06 FLHTCUSE Black/Haze (on order)  ETA: Q2-2006

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2005, 01:13:35 PM »

portability is why i went with the quest it has an internal battery as well as the ability to run wired. came in handy to have in a pocket while site seeing on foot

Mistered

• Hardcore Ultra Rider
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2005, 11:18:31 PM »

I bought the quest myself.  I was looking hard at the radio GPS module, but the lack of functions made the decision easy.  The quest did require mounting and I modified the dash leather trim piece to fit exactly around the GPS mount.  Looks good and I love the full function, portability and color view screen.  Also, the Radio GPS module makes you look down and take your eyes away from the road.  I use my quest in my truck all the time.
2004 Ultra
2006 FLHTCUSE Crimson/Gray
Freedom exhaust, PCIIIr

jmorton10

• Full CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2005, 08:16:26 AM »

I have had a GPS for a few years now(I am on my 4th unit).  The Garmin 2610 is an awesome unit for a MC(it is water & shockproof).  

I like integrated stuff also, but the HD unit is twice the money of the Garmin & has nowhere near the functions/features of the amazing 2610.  There is absolutely NO WAY I would buy a GPS that does not have a map display, that makes no sense at all to me.

When I was researching the options, I narrowed it down to the 2610 or the Garmin Quest 2(the HD fairing mount unit is the same as the original Garmin Quest)

Quest review:

http://www.gpsinformation.us/quest/questrev.html

2610/2620 review:

http://gpsinformation.us/sp26xx/sp2610rev.html

I picked the 2610 because it has more features than the Quest & a nicer display.  The 2610 has an awesome touch-screen feature that the Quest does not have.  With the touch-screen you can simply touch the screen at any point, slide your finger across the screen & drag the map in any direction to "look ahead" or check out the secondary roads around you in any direction.

The 2610 stores the detail maps on a removable compact flash card.  I use a 2 gig cf card($79 from Amazon).  This allows me to load maps of the entire USA at once so they are always available(this is a one time procedure & simple to do).  I can also plan a route with numerous way-points in my computer & then transfer it all to the GPS with a USB connection.  This is MUCH easier than trying to do all trip planning in the GPS unit itself.

~John

~John

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2005, 08:56:57 AM »

had i waited a few months to buy i would have gone with the quest2 the extra storage is nice

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2005, 11:51:37 AM »

One handicap (potential) to interest in the 2610 and 2620s now is that they're no longer in production.  Replaced by the 2720 and 2730.  Both can regularly be found on some store shelve and all over eBay; for at least awhile.  Many are factory refurbs (for both models).

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 20 queries.