Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Rookie HD Rider needs advice  (Read 4309 times)

Crusty

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ex_Wingabego Rider & former Iron Butt riding fool

• CVO1: '09 SERG
Re: Rookie HD Rider needs advice
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2009, 10:32:11 PM »

Pull the seat and by the tank it's under a module which slides off. Not that bad to service.

Copy, thanks!

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2009, 07:12:33 AM »

That's why I love you guys... always willing to lend a hand!  :nervous:

How deep did they bury the battery? I know on my BMW I've got to pull the tank to get to it.  :soapbox:

I guess since worrying about brining it to Japan and complying with their strict inspection rules is no longer an issue, I should go ahead and have the dealer hook me up with some Fullsacs and see about scoring a non-cat pipe. And so it begins... lol
I added the Fullsac baffels a month ago.  I am using the 2.25, nice and deep sound but not real loud unless you are really getting on it hard.  Yesterday I cut the stock head pipe in half thru the cat, and gutted it.  Then got it welded back together.  I also loaded the map from Fullsac.  I got the baffels and TTS Master tune from Steve at Fullsac.

I am very pleased with the sound and the performace.  I have only rode the bike 100 miles since the Mod, but it sure seems to run a little cooler too.  It pulls reall strong.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

Crusty

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2009, 09:25:44 AM »

I added the Fullsac baffels a month ago.  I am using the 2.25, nice and deep sound but not real loud unless you are really getting on it hard.  Yesterday I cut the stock head pipe in half thru the cat, and gutted it.  Then got it welded back together.  I also loaded the map from Fullsac.  I got the baffels and TTS Master tune from Steve at Fullsac.

I am very pleased with the sound and the performace.  I have only rode the bike 100 miles since the Mod, but it sure seems to run a little cooler too.  It pulls reall strong.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm no motorhead, so that is way beyond my skillz... I'm assuming the dealer will have the capability to knock this out for me? From everything I've read, the Fullsacs are definitely the way to go.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2009, 10:44:13 AM »

I do not think the dealer will modify the emissions controls...You know, wanting to stay in business and all..

I am just guessing though and am good at being wrong... :drink:

JasonDeezy

• Ride it 'til the wheels fall off...
  • Senior CVO Member
  • Orange you glad it's a CVO?...

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 O/B
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2009, 02:33:34 PM »

Which leaves me pondering this... for those of you long time HD riders, why did you choose a CVO SERG? My initial thought would be because you wanted a bike that was already tricked out.. but given the continued modding of even the CVO bikes, I can see this is not the reason. Is it just the "cool factor" of having a CVO (even though it seems 1/2 the HD owners you discuss CVO with don't really know WTF you are talking about)? Is it because the combo of stuff they put on the bike is a very good head start to tricking it out?

I have done a fair amount of reading on this board, and have seen quite a few posts raving about how fantastic this bike is. It is really that much better than a "regular" HD? Seems like you could get a pretty good deal on an already hooked-up used bike for 2/3 the price of a new CVO. So, why CVO?

I do think this a one cool bike... and affording it isn't the issue... but not having even ever ridden a HD, I really have no frame of reference. Is jumping straight into a CVO a bad idea... should I have to "do my time" on a lesser model, so I really appreciate how great the CVO SERG is? 

Thanks for listening to me ramble!  :drink:

If you want a STEAK and can afford it, then why would you buy a cheeseburger? If you want a Mercedes S550 and can afford it, then why buy a C350? Life is too short to waste "doing your time" on a lesser model. As for the continued "modding" of our CVOs (or anything else mechanical for that matter), that's just something that can't be helped. We always want more and the CVOs are a great starting point for bigger and better things.

If you can still get the bike then get it. You really won't regret it...
King Tour Pack
Roland Sands Design Diesel Wheels 18"/21"
Klock Werks 21" Slicer Fender
Klock Werks 8" FLARE Black Windshield
Hawg Wired DCS/SX System
Cary Faas Racing (CFR) Slipons
Fullsac X-Pipe B
8" Yaffe OEM Monkey Bars & Power Mirrors
TTS Mastertune
Dakota Digital Gauges MCL-3006-R
Carl Brouhard Floorboards (Front & Rear)
   Brake Arm, Brake Pedal
   Heel & Toes Shifter (w/pegs), Shift Arm & Linkage
Kuryakyn License Plate Frame (#9182)
Arlen Ness Deep Cut Grips
Wheeldock EZ-Up Centerstand

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2009, 04:09:35 PM »

If you want a STEAK and can afford it, then why would you buy a cheeseburger? If you want a Mercedes S550 and can afford it, then why buy a C350? Life is too short to waste "doing your time" on a lesser model. As for the continued "modding" of our CVOs (or anything else mechanical for that matter), that's just something that can't be helped. We always want more and the CVOs are a great starting point for bigger and better things.

If you can still get the bike then get it. You really won't regret it...

Jason, you are obviously a person that enjoys life’s experiences to the fullest; I’m with you! I can tell you that the racket from my biological alarm clock has been annoying me for some time, and I have come to realize that there are a limited number of road trips and back country snowmobile adventures left. You would not have convinced me of this when I was 25, now it’s an easy sell. You offer a great piece of advice; make the most of your life experiences.

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2009, 05:00:56 PM »

Crusty,
You don't have to completely remove the battery, unless you want to.  Just disconnect the cables and let it sit in the bike.  A gel will sit for a long time like that.  Using a battery tender definitely keeps it topped off.  Find a good place to park her, put a little Stabil in the gas tank and if you've got electric, hook up the tender.  She'll be waiting for you in the fall!
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support

Crusty

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2009, 06:23:12 PM »

Thanks again for all the great replies...

Jason,
I agree 100%... I've become a lot less willing to settle, because as you said, life is too short. There wasn't much chance I'd have turned off the deal... but since it was a possibility, I figured I'd seek more data. Of course doing so here would be like jumping into a fine cigar forum and asking if I should smoke a Cuban or a Swisher Sweet... lol

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2009, 06:25:10 AM »

Thanks for the feedback. I'm no motorhead, so that is way beyond my skillz... I'm assuming the dealer will have the capability to knock this out for me? From everything I've read, the Fullsacs are definitely the way to go.
I am sure the dealer would do the baffels, and load the Tune with the TTS master tune.  I doubt they would cut the head pipe and gut the cat, they can get in big trouble for that one.

Any good muffler shop can reweld the pipe.  Many are buying non cvo, non CA head pipes off e-bay and replacing the stock one.

Fullsac will also gut the head pipe if you send it to him.

Crusty

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2009, 08:43:16 AM »

I am sure the dealer would do the baffels, and load the Tune with the TTS master tune.  I doubt they would cut the head pipe and gut the cat, they can get in big trouble for that one.

Any good muffler shop can reweld the pipe.  Many are buying non cvo, non CA head pipes off e-bay and replacing the stock one.

Fullsac will also gut the head pipe if you send it to him.

Copy the part about them not tearing up the CAT, but they shouldn't have a problem swapping to a non-CAT head pipe and doing the Fullsac baffles I assume.

Once I get confirmation of a delivery date, I'll see what they can do to get it hooked up before I take delivery. Defintely more of a pain to ahve to do it all via phone/email.

altugo

• 1K CVO Member
  • Screw it let's ride!

• CVO1: FLSTFSE2 nebula yellow/ cobalt blue
    • CVO2: FLTRSE3 yellow pearl / charcoal slate
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2009, 12:28:31 PM »

Crusty with limited paint engine upgrade extra chrome and all that you will end up spending about 15k more just to buy it as is.The only bad thing about cvos are painted parts usually u just cant repaint them and have to reorder and wait for about 4-8 weeks. :drink:
Ridin Legend

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2009, 08:16:32 AM »

One thing we need to warn about. the cat material is hazardous  to your health, so when you cut/evac the cat, wear protective eye wear, gloves, and Very important good particulate dust mask or better. and dispose of properly. things of kids and pets. so sweep it up good.
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

Crusty

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2009, 04:14:11 PM »

One thing we need to warn about. the cat material is hazardous  to your health, so when you cut/evac the cat, wear protective eye wear, gloves, and Very important good particulate dust mask or better. and dispose of properly. things of kids and pets. so sweep it up good.

great reminder! All the more reason to let someone else do it... lol

sem_bunda

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 Electric Orange
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2009, 08:55:54 AM »

Crusty, like already posted - if I have t explain it, you wouldn't understand.  But let me try...

I rode an 09 SERG on demo days last spring in Dallas.  Before I got out of 3rd gear on the ride, I knew I wanted one.  Smooth ride yet still plenty of rumble to be a Harley.  The electric orange, ghost flames and shark-like look SCREAM at me every time I look at it, in a good way.  I traded in my 08 FLHRC Anniv Edition on the SERG and that was I bike I loved.  SERG is a great ride, great look, unique feel, and the 09 changes made it irresistable for me.  Enjoy it once you get it!

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2009, 04:37:15 PM »

I use to work in a plant that manufactued Cat's.  Nothing in them was hazardous to our health.  We did the whole proces from cold extruding the ceramic material, to baking it in the Kiln to dipping it in the three presous metals.

I would wear gloves, becuase the metal coated ceramic is very thin and sharp.

Removing the cat sure helps with performance :coolblue:
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 04:44:42 PM by FLSTFI Dave »
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.19 seconds with 24 queries.