Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: What's your experience with sun shirts with UV protection?  (Read 15521 times)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: What's your experience with sun shirts with UV protection?
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2010, 11:02:24 PM »

UV Protection...what is that?

;)

It's what you were missing when you pulled in to the dealership in Miami in 08 :huepfenlol2:

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=22702.msg365008#msg365008
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

dave29

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2010, 09:44:26 AM »

Go into the cabellas catalog and pick up a columbia or other manufacturers long sleeve fishing shirt. They are spf rated, have a vent back and are light weight. Pick a light color. In the hot weather a long sleeve shirt traps the sweat onto your shirt and actually cools you down. A short sleeve shirt lets the sweat evaporate from your skin when you're riding making you dehydrate faster. Also, when you stop for a gas break, buy an extra bottle of water and pour it all over your shirt. When you hit the road it will feel like you have air conditioning!!!!
dave29

DDavidson

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2010, 07:46:25 PM »

The cotton works well until it wicks up all your moisture causing the fibers to swell closed giving you a clammy feeling. The newer materials the fibers don't swell closed allowing for better evaporation.

When its extremely hot you want to control the convection heating caused by the wind. The wind dries the sweat so fast it doesn't have time to cool and the heat carried in the wind then begins to cook you.

For instance a 5mph wind in 100 degree heat may cool you while a 30+ mph wind in 100 degree heat will cook you. (Windspeed doing 70 mph on a bike with windshield is what?)

Thermal (Under Armor) gear that wicks the moisture away from your body worn under a light colored shirt that slows the 80 mph wind down to 5-20 mph in 100 degree temps should be more comfortable, especially in humid areas like the Gulf States. (Use a buttoned sleeved shirt where you can control the wind using the buttons to control the long sleeved opening. Same as a vent in the helmet). The newer nylon materials also wash out and air dry many times faster than cotton. Wash it, roll it in a towel, ring it, unroll it, and hang/lay it. There are also garments to help minimize crotch rot (has silver molecules embedded for control of bacteria). Sunburn never feels good so long sleeves helps with that.

Another is liquids for sweating, 85 degrees may require 1 quart an hour while 100 degrees may require 4+ quarts an hour. (This is for long day rides). Freezing drinks makes them more refreshing but you need liquid volume. You can't get volume if it's frozen in the bottle, mix an unfrozen drink into the frozen if need be. Get liquid volume. Drink on a schedule because it's too late once you're feeling thirsty. Drinking large volumes of just plain water that quickly can flush out vital nutrients from your body causing drowning. (Happens at marathon runs.) You need to add supplements like those in Sports Drinks, V-8, and Fruit Drinks. Use additional (not tons) salt when sweating heavily and drinking large volumes as it will flush out quickly. Potassium in bananas helps prevent muscle cramping. Think to use them ahead (BREAKFAST) so they're there when your body wants them. Provide nutrients before your body starts shutting down because it is lacking them. Definitely use supplements if you start feeling symptoms.

Acclimate days in advance. Don't sit in a 74 degree office the weeks before a ride and expect to jump into 90 degree plus temps without problems. Go out an hour at a time and be uncomfortable. Sit in the heat at lunch and then start walking in the heat at lunch. People who sweat early are usually in better shape than slower sweaters. Their bodies know to sweat early. Build up your tolerances. Your body will adjust the insulating fat cells in your blood to the temps outside, it just needs time (days). Certain medications also affect how your body handles heat. (They use certain anesthetizing drugs to create hyperthermia to try to treat certain cancers for instance.) Do a Google search on your medication and heat. You may want to limit caffein due to it's affect on capillary blood vessels until you get acclimated.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 07:51:34 PM by D31960 »
Semper Fi
Get your "Motor Running Head", out on the highway!

What we've got here is... failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach. So you get what we had here last week, which is the way he wants it... well, he gets it. I don't like it any more than you men

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2010, 10:30:32 PM »

Yea, and when it's a 100F remember to open the vents on your helmet, huh Don. ;D

On the serious side, Terrie has a couple of medications that causes side effects in the heat so that's a part of her sensativity we learned last week.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

LFMC Pharaoh

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 Candy Concord CVO Street Glide "Blue Thunder"
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2010, 04:19:16 AM »

I wear an under armour t-shirt under a under armour UV Heat long sleeve shirt here in AZ and love it.  The t-shirt underneath helps wick away the moisture/sweat from my body which dries from the heat/wind and the long sleeve UV shirt is lightweight and protects me from the sun.
2010 Candy Concord CVO Street Glide
Klock Werks 8.5" Dark Smoke Windshield
PYO 10" Monkey Bars
Vance & Hines Power Duals
Rinehart Slip On Mufflers
Screamin Eagle Race Tuner
7.25" J&M Speakers w/Amp
HD Center Stand
HD Chopped Tour Pak
RAM Mount w/Ipod MP3 Player
RAM Mount w/Garmin Zumo 550 GPS

DDavidson

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2010, 12:06:57 AM »

Posted by: LFMC Pharaoh
Insert Quote
I wear an under armour t-shirt under a under armour UV Heat long sleeve shirt here in AZ and love it.  The t-shirt underneath helps wick away the moisture/sweat from my body which dries from the heat/wind and the long sleeve UV shirt is lightweight and protects me from the sun.

Is the t-shirt tight and the long sleeve shirt loose? Can you describe the UV Heat long sleeve? Pullover, buttons, elastic sleeve cuffs, collar style, long tail, zippered underarms, etc? In your opinion does it only work because it blocks the sun?
Semper Fi

What we've got here is... failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach. So you get what we had here last week, which is the way he wants it... well, he gets it. I don't like it any more than you men

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2010, 09:17:13 PM »

It's what you were missing when you pulled in to the dealership in Miami in 08 :huepfenlol2:

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=22702.msg365008#msg365008

By Golly I think you are correct!

Shame on me!

Now back to your regular programing...

LFMC Pharaoh

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 Candy Concord CVO Street Glide "Blue Thunder"
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2010, 04:41:19 AM »

Is the t-shirt tight and the long sleeve shirt loose? Can you describe the UV Heat long sleeve? Pullover, buttons, elastic sleeve cuffs, collar style, long tail, zippered underarms, etc? In your opinion does it only work because it blocks the sun?

The t-shirt is tight under armour, the long sleeve is loose.  It is just a pullover under armour shirt that I purchased and it claims to be a UV protectant.  Not sure if there is something other than being long sleeve that makes it UV ??  ???

No buttons, no elastic, no collar, no long tail, no zippers.  Just plain long sleeve t-shirt style.  I wear it tucked in and then tuck the sleeves into the cuffs of my velcro close gloves.  I think it works nice because of the lightweight and it seems to let the breeze thru which helps to wick away the moisture from the t-shirt underneath.  I actually have rode without it just wearing a sleeveless t-shirt and felt warmer with the sun beatin on my skin and nothing to help wick moisture.

I think I bought it at a Dicks Sporting Goods store or a Big 5 Sporting Goods store.
2010 Candy Concord CVO Street Glide
Klock Werks 8.5" Dark Smoke Windshield
PYO 10" Monkey Bars
Vance & Hines Power Duals
Rinehart Slip On Mufflers
Screamin Eagle Race Tuner
7.25" J&M Speakers w/Amp
HD Center Stand
HD Chopped Tour Pak
RAM Mount w/Ipod MP3 Player
RAM Mount w/Garmin Zumo 550 GPS

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2010, 10:48:44 AM »

When it's brutal hot and the sun looks like it'll fry an egg, I wear my Underamour Heat Gear long sleeve white shirt. It's actually cooler than riding w/o a shirt, and I can ride all day and not get burned. On just normal days, when traveling, I'll wear a short sleeve Heat Gear t-shrt and also the boxers. Very comfortable.
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

DDavidson

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2010, 09:32:40 PM »

LFMC,

Thanks the info is helpful. I guess the company launders a UV protectant into the shirt. Non-UV protectant = 5 UV level protection, UV protectant = 30 UV level protection.

By tucking in the shirt openings it seems you are controlling the amount of wind. Still getting enough for natural evaporation cooling but not too much that causes convection heating.

You will have to show us at Tahoe in June 2011.
Semper Fi

WestCoastRuss

• 1K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE Tequila Sunrise
    • CVO2: 2014 FXSBSE Sedona Sand
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2010, 06:26:39 PM »

We got two of the shirts that we ordered from one of the companies.  This material is called Solumbra and they told me it's a nylon based product.  The web site says that they fit "loose" and do not need to be ordered extra large....believe that!  The netting in the arm pits and half way down the inside of the arms is pretty cool.  I think that will be real helpful on the bike, holding onto the handlebars.  Kind of like not wearing a shirt. :nixweiss:

I will say that when I tried it on I thought that I looked like a geek but Terrie thought that mine fit a lot better than hers fit her. :nixweiss:  Hey, we're after comort not the look good.  Like she said "we'll never see any of those people again!". :huepfenlol2:

Vivianne and I got these shirts this week and tried them out on a lunch ride yesterday to Lake Tahoe.  Yeh, I know a 7 hour round trip for lunch maybe a bit long but it was a nice ride!!  And the shirts worked super as well.  We will be going back to Lake Tahoe for another ride via a different route in a few weeks.....thinking of the GTG of course  :huepfenjump3:

Anyway, as JC has told us many times........ these bikes are for riding......thanks bro'   :2vrolijk_21:
Tequila makes her clothes fall off....

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2010, 09:23:42 PM »

Vivianne and I got these shirts this week and tried them out on a lunch ride yesterday to Lake Tahoe.  Yeh, I know a 7 hour round trip for lunch maybe a bit long but it was a nice ride!!  And the shirts worked super as well.  We will be going back to Lake Tahoe for another ride via a different route in a few weeks.....thinking of the GTG of course  :huepfenjump3:

Anyway, as JC has told us many times........ these bikes are for riding......thanks bro'   :2vrolijk_21:

Should have called......Terrie and I were looking for some place to go yesterday.

These are the coolest shirts that I've ever rode in.......very, very comfortable even well above 100F. :2vrolijk_21:

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2012, 09:52:19 PM »

Heat-Out Body Cooling System now available at 50% discount at Cycle Rider right now.  Already affordable, now it's rediculously affordable for those riding in high temps.

The shirt and pants base layer:

HEAT OUT base-layer garments utilize cutting-edge textile technology for effective temperature regulation and perspiration management -with outstanding stretch & recovery- to provide maximum comfort in warm weather conditions. A precise blend of 60% nylon, 35% polyester and 5% spandex fibers ensures dynamic fit and comfort with essential properties to enhance riding comfort. The moisture wicking properties draw perspiration away from the skin and assist in rapid evaporation into the surrounding air, thus keeping you cooler during periods of exertion or when external temperatures are high. Extraordinary stretch and recovery is achieved with multi-directional spandex fibers throughout for an optimal balance of close-fit and complete freedom-of-movement. An ANTI-MICROBIAL treatment helps to eliminate odor-producing bacteria generated during perspiration, keeping you refreshed during periods of activity and rest. Revolutionary HEAT OUT base-layer garments will enhance your riding experience. Get in to HEAT OUT!

http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/product/base_layer_long_sleeve_crew_neck_top/web1010130

West Coast GTG   

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2012, 11:27:13 PM »

Just ordered the shirt from Sun Precautions link that was on this thread, thanks for that! I have been wearing the Northface and Patagonia shirts for the last month. They have worked great but I am intrigued by the mesh under the arms. I am always hating the heat and love anything that is cooler. Looking forward to receiving and love the colors available (not...)
Alan

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2012, 11:01:55 PM »

I wear the Columbia brand UV Rated shirts every day, year around to work. Very cool, the color choices are good and you can get them at any Bass Pro and several of the major clothing retailers.
Hot in Florida and so far these hold up great. The Under Armor ones may be even better and while the styles UA offers is great for bikes, the Columbia brand is more suited to daily wear to work.  Under Armor available at Bass Pro and every sporting goods store in the world. The UA Heat Gear line  for casual outdoor wear can not be beat and in cooler climates the cold gear is equally as good.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.187 seconds with 21 queries.