Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10  All

Author Topic: Touring tips........  (Read 14463 times)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: Touring tips........
« Reply #120 on: July 06, 2009, 08:33:47 PM »

When touring, carry an ICE (In Case Of Emergency) paper or card.

It would have the name(s) and phone number(s) of those you'd like to have contacted in the event that you're incapacitated.  You might also list any medications and dosage, doctor's phone number.

If you're riding with others, you might also want to carry their ICE contact info. in case they're not able to make the call in the event of an emergency.  Have you thought to yourself "what would I do?  Who would I call if he/she got in an accident?"  Something that many of us don't think about when we set out on a trip. :nixweiss:  Not a conversation that any of us want to have but it's sure smart to be proactive rather than reactive.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

05Ultra

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #121 on: July 06, 2009, 08:47:24 PM »

When touring, carry an ICE (In Case Of Emergency) paper or card.

It would have the name(s) and phone number(s) of those you'd like to have contacted in the event that you're incapacitated.  You might also list any medications and dosage, doctor's phone number.

If you're riding with others, you might also want to carry their ICE contact info. in case they're not able to make the call in the event of an emergency.  Have you thought to yourself "what would I do?  Who would I call if he/she got in an accident?"  Something that many of us don't think about when we set out on a trip. :nixweiss:  Not a conversation that any of us want to have but it's sure smart to be proactive rather than reactive.

Great tip!
 Many of the new cell phone have that option in the contact list. If yours doesn't just add "ICE" to your list and then the name and number. On some phones if you put a space 1st then the ICE it will bring it to the top of your list.
All the bells and whistles. Including 6 speed, GPS and heated grips.
OK, I'm getting old. Get over it!

Keithincda

• Senior CVO Member
  • Almost there!

• CVO1: Teal 2005 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide
« Reply #122 on: July 06, 2009, 11:42:16 PM »

Similar to the space bags...I take my gear and use my FoodSaver vacuum kit to reduce it all down! It sucks it all right down plus heat seals the bag. I pack each days skivvies/socks/tee in a bag and seal them before packing in the tourpack liner or saddle bag liners. It gets everything thin enough to be about the thickness of a magazine. On a 6-10 day trip by the time you have used everything it all still fits well in the liners for the trip home.

Also don't forget the sunscreen! I have switched to using the aerosol spray kind as it is easy to cover my face/ears/neck/arms.

chicagobulldog

« Reply #123 on: July 11, 2009, 10:06:03 PM »

Bring Advil. If you tend to get sore, start the day with Advil... it works wonders.

I recomend the Airhawk Seat Pads if you do long distances (700-1000 miles per day).
http://www.rlmotorcycles.com/cgi-bin/eShop/index.cgi?cart_id=1247362781.41966

Large barbage bags to cover the T-Bags. Mine tends to leak at 70 miles an hour and several hours of rain. Need really good rain gear too.

A GPS is great for long trips. Each morning you plot your trip. You don't have to worry about getting lost. Also great to plot the "last" gas station and make less stops. Find out of the way places or stop at each harley shop along the way.

Peppermint lotion for the feet, especially on hot-hot days. Start the day by putting lotion on your feet. Hey....my freind who used to play for the NFL and beat people for a living does it!

AAA card with motorcycle endorsement. The Harley Owers Group towing thing never worked for me. Every time I called I had to wait hours and I'd call AAA and they would show up before Harley.

If the wife is a whiny....leave her home!

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #124 on: July 12, 2009, 07:07:20 PM »

Bring Advil. If you tend to get sore, start the day with Advil... it works wonders.

I recomend the Airhawk Seat Pads if you do long distances (700-1000 miles per day).
http://www.rlmotorcycles.com/cgi-bin/eShop/index.cgi?cart_id=1247362781.41966

Large barbage bags to cover the T-Bags. Mine tends to leak at 70 miles an hour and several hours of rain. Need really good rain gear too.

A GPS is great for long trips. Each morning you plot your trip. You don't have to worry about getting lost. Also great to plot the "last" gas station and make less stops. Find out of the way places or stop at each harley shop along the way.

Peppermint lotion for the feet, especially on hot-hot days. Start the day by putting lotion on your feet. Hey....my freind who used to play for the NFL and beat people for a living does it!

AAA card with motorcycle endorsement. The Harley Owers Group towing thing never worked for me. Every time I called I had to wait hours and I'd call AAA and they would show up before Harley.

If the wife is a whiny....leave her home!

And why do I go to the GTG's alone? I leave her at home! ;D :2vrolijk_21:
Mike
 :drink:
Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

Blazo

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #125 on: July 12, 2009, 07:32:54 PM »

AAA card with motorcycle endorsement.

Just an FYI. Triple A does not tow motorcycles in California. Not sure why they won't do it  :nixweiss: , just know they won't do it.

PR3VS56

• Elite CVO Member
    • BlackSheep Harley-Davidsons for Christ
« Reply #126 on: July 13, 2009, 02:07:49 AM »

Just an FYI. Triple A does not tow motorcycles in California. Not sure why they won't do it  :nixweiss: , just know they won't do it.

I have AAA's RV & Motorcycle (extra cost) coverage.  What do they do if they don't "tow" (using tow as a proxy for flat bed transport or equivalent)?

Redline V-Twin Syn 20W50 (winter), 20W60 (summer) in the crank case.
Redline Heavy Shockproof in the tranny.
Amsoil Super Shift Syn ATF in the primary.

Blazo

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #127 on: July 13, 2009, 09:41:23 PM »

I have AAA's RV & Motorcycle (extra cost) coverage.  What do they do if they don't "tow" (using tow as a proxy for flat bed transport or equivalent)?

I have AAA Plus and have called them a couple of times for motorcycle towing, once when I spun the rotor off the hub and another time when I spun the clutch basket. No go... I was given the name and number of a local towing company that would tow motorcycles instead. I ended up having my wife borrow a trailer to fetch me (it was cheaper). You may want to call AAA and see if they have motorcycle towing under the RV and Motorcycle coverage. I don't have that, only Plus.

chicagobulldog

« Reply #128 on: July 13, 2009, 10:28:21 PM »

Have used AAA three times. Each time a flat bed trailer with no problem in different areas of the country. I have the PLUS RV card.

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #129 on: July 13, 2009, 10:29:16 PM »

You have to have the RV coverage on AAA to handle motorcycles. Got this last year at the suggestion of a biking buddy and wouldn't be without it.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #130 on: July 13, 2009, 10:39:58 PM »

You have to have the RV coverage on AAA to handle motorcycles. Got this last year at the suggestion of a biking buddy and wouldn't be without it.
What do they do better than the HOG Club towing pkg. ???   spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

chicagobulldog

« Reply #131 on: July 14, 2009, 10:33:27 PM »

Show up! For a few years I carried both cards. Each time we had a break down I called the HOG Group 1st and got responses like we will have someone there in 2-3 hours. I then called AAA. Each time AAA drivers showed up well in advance of the HOG Group. I think it is just becuase AAA has a much bigger towing network. I dropped the HOG Group after the last time it happened.

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #132 on: July 15, 2009, 09:51:16 AM »

:cherry:
I've used the HOG (Road America) card a couple of times.  Once with a broker stator wire in the middle of Myrtle Beach Bike Week with thousands of bikes in the area and I'm at SBB in Murrels Inlet......one of the busiest and most crowded areas....got service in about an hour and a half.   Not bad under the circumstances. :nixweiss:

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
    • Harley Café Dresden
« Reply #133 on: July 15, 2009, 06:43:32 PM »

never foget to take some pepper spray - be it against dogs, bears or un friendly customers ...
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun

Harleydude001

• CVO1: 09 SERG
« Reply #134 on: July 16, 2009, 04:34:51 PM »

Wear bicycle riding shorts with padded crotch to ward off "monkey butt".   Wear waterproof riding suit like Aerostich Roadcrafter or Darien jacket and pants...great protection in case of crash and no need for rainsuit.  Not as stylish as leathers, though.  Full face helmet and electrics for cold weather.

When riding out here in the heat of the desert riding shorts and Sheep Skin over the saddle help ward off "monkey butt" and of course a can of Monkey Butt doesn't hurt either.
Ride to Eat
and
Eat to Ride
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10  All

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 20 queries.