Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: XM radio install  (Read 1790 times)

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
XM radio install
« on: November 07, 2005, 07:44:20 AM »

I had the dealer install the XM module last week.  The reception is not very good as the radio cuts out continuously.  Is this the nature of the beast or do you suspect improper installation of the antenna.  Everything is installed in the fairing of my 06 roadglide
Thanks
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

FR8TRN

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ya ever take a crap so big your pants fit better??
Re: XM radio install
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2005, 07:56:07 AM »

If your riding the backroads or alot of built up areas the XM will cut in and out, if it can't see the satellites it can't get the signal.  Antenna location might be an issue also, you might wanna see where they put it.  On the SE it's located on the clutch side top of the fairing with a bracket that is attached to the fairing mount, I'd think anywhere near the top of the RG fairing would be good.

On backroads I usually just switch over to an MP3 CD and forget the XM for a while, get tired of it goin in and out.

J.J.

• Full CVO Member
  • If you can accept losing, you can't win
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2005, 11:22:00 AM »

I have not received my CUSE yet but I do have XM on my GMC and live in the Black Hills of SD.  When going through the mountains it seems my XM cuts out when I have a mountain on the south side of me.  As for the wide open prairie in my state it works 100% of the time.  Not sure about the bikes yet but should not be a difference.  Only the antenna I would think.  
2006 Black and Slate
SE Stage 1
Rinehart True Duals
HD Race Tuner
99.8HP 103TQ

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2005, 11:43:16 AM »

Iroar, I've only had the XM on the red bike for a couple of weeks or so know.  But it's been nearly flawless so far.  It gathers about 1 bar (it's display scale in the radio) of reception sitting in the garage.  Though if the handlebars are fully deflected the wrong way causing the antenna to be as far from level as it can be it'll lose that.  Outside the garage there is good reception anyplace.  The only place it has ever cut out on me is driving under tunnel of trees about 20 miles outside of town.  It's a stretch of road with heavy overgrowth that lasts about a 1/2 mile.  Inside there it was intermittent.

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2005, 12:35:51 PM »

From the description of your experience, twolanerider, I have a problem with the install.  thanks

Road_Glider

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2005, 12:39:12 PM »

You definately have an instal problem.  The XM in my '06 RG cuts out only when under an overpass or parking garage just as the one installed on my car that has the XM antena on the outside of the vehicle.  
*Orange and BLack '09 Road Glide w/103

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2005, 02:38:42 PM »

IRoar, I am sure your dealer who installed you XM is much better than the one I had install my Digital Dakota antena, but when mine did that, they never plugged it into the radio.  So I was not too impressed, needless to say.  But when my husband installed my XM he saw the discrepancy, and not that I have tried it too often, but now both my radio works and XM Rocks.  Really rocks.  You will love it.  Like the others have said, as long as your antena can "see" it's satelite, you will have all the music you can want.  It is fantastic. I am hearing songs I forgot about and I love it.  I think I might have to start wearing my hearing plugs more often, cause even though it is loud and clear, I catch myself just wanting it louder for the pure fun of it.  

jeffj

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Teach a man to swim, but not while he's drowning"

• CVO1: 2004 Orange Pearl and Jet Black FLHTCSE & 2002 Candy/Brandywine FLHRSEI
    • CVO2: 2006 Autumn Haze FLHTCUSE Sold - 11-11-12 Bought another 2006 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2003 Gold FLHRSEI2 Sold CVO4: 2002 Purple FLHRSEI Crashed
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2005, 04:53:34 PM »

I have been listening to XM Radio since I bought my 06 CUSE
Only time I have a reception issue is when in the Mtns. if trees grow over the road
Also I don't get reception when I am riding thru tunnels or under bridges
The 4 tunnels in Yosemite National Park, I would rather listen to my Freedom Exhaust...Roar

Hope you get the reception working better and try channel 46 - Ride On

06ULTRASE

• Senior CVO Member
  • In Memory of Scott Wheelihan

• CVO1: 06 FLHTUCSE (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTUCSE8
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2005, 07:22:48 PM »

Mine has worked great after I plugged in the antenna, it wasn't connected when I got the bike. I have found that when I'm going down a hill that has trees on the south side it will cut out other than that it works great. Being a big fan of oldies I really like XM, the local station has way too many commericals that repeat a phone over and over again.  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

[smiley=banana.gif] [smiley=jalapeno.gif]

GC_Super

• Elite CVO Member
  • Great Ride!
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2005, 07:14:24 AM »

When I put XM on my 03 EG, I put the antenna inside the fairing on top of the radio as per instructions. Didn't work very well there, so I moved it farther to the front of the radio thinking the bundle of wires might have been causing a problem w/reception, didn't work real well there either. Finally moved it to the top of the fairing on the outside, just above the speaker and that solved all my reception problems. If my new one cuts out, I'll just move it to the same location. The black color makes it kinda stealthy and the added reception is worth it to hear the Blues without interuption.   [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
2006 SEUltra ordered, born on Feb 10, recieved Feb, 28, 2006

FR8TRN

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ya ever take a crap so big your pants fit better??
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2005, 08:00:26 AM »

When I put XM on my 03 EG, I put the antenna inside the fairing on top of the radio as per instructions. Didn't work very well there, so I moved it farther to the front of the radio thinking the bundle of wires might have been causing a problem w/reception, didn't work real well there either. Finally moved it to the top of the fairing on the outside, just above the speaker and that solved all my reception problems. If my new one cuts out, I'll just move it to the same location. The black color makes it kinda stealthy and the added reception is worth it to hear the Blues without interuption.   [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Thats pretty much where they locate it at the factory, so you probably won't be moving it.  Mine stays on 74 also, don't see much need to change it.

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2005, 09:33:14 AM »

Had my bike back into the dealer to check the xm radio installation.  Although they installed it per factory specs, the reception was terrible.  I had them mount the antenna outside the fairing between the windscreen and the dash above the radio.  (Roadglide) The bike is black so the small black antenna just blends in.  Also given how small the antenna is, it's can't be seen while you riding.   The reception is now perfect.  I get 3 bars all the time.
Thanks for the suggestions.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2008, 04:23:08 PM »

mine is sitting on top of the radio as well.  I'm very happy with the reception, however i have an fm modulator and i do use the the wireless as well.   Now i get plenty of volume as well as great reception.    i have the sky-fi2 with a JM corp. windshield kit. Works well and its a very clean install.

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2008, 07:31:52 PM »

mine is sitting on top of the radio as well.  I'm very happy with the reception, however i have an fm modulator and i do use the the wireless as well.   Now i get plenty of volume as well as great reception.    i have the sky-fi2 with a JM corp. windshield kit. Works well and its a very clean install.

Could you give us more information about this?

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2008, 11:15:41 PM »

JM corp offered at one time, a windshield xm radio kit that sandwiched betwwen the inner fairing and the windshiled.   it had 2 outside storage pockets and the sky-fi went in the center.  it is easy to read and the wiring and the antenna is behind the outer fairing.   I get great reception with the antenna sitting on top of the radio.So the install looks great, nothing in the way, and it sounds great. Thats it!!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 10:23:54 PM by cvostu »

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 20 queries.