Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Sturgis W/O Rally  (Read 2140 times)

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
Re: Sturgis W/O Rally
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2009, 01:23:46 PM »

Sturgis bike wash:

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

GregKhougaz

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2009, 01:25:33 PM »

Do not miss Mt. Rushmore:

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

GregKhougaz

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2009, 01:26:53 PM »

Or, Crazyhorse:

Sawyer Brown

GregKhougaz

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2009, 01:29:11 PM »

Or the Badlands. 

Sawyer Brown

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2009, 02:08:57 PM »

I took a trip from Minneapolis Minnesota to Kalamazoo Michigan and instead of going around Chicago,Gary both scary I took the ferry from
Milwaukee Wisconsin to Muskegon Michigan a very nice exspeiance.Just bring you own tie downs as theirs are questinable.Here is the name of the place lake-express.com
                                    James

How long ago did you do the ferry boat?  I thought it was Manitowoc WI to Ludington MI.  There used to be two lines, but the Badger is the only ferry I'm aware of anymore and it does the above route.

That being said, I'll change back to the thread.

In '06, my first trip to Sturgis, we stayed in Keystone.  This is about 2 miles from Mt. Rushmore.  We got there Sunday afternoon of the Rally week.  It was busy, but not what I would call really packed.  We could do just about anything we wanted to do without lots of waiting.  It's close to Custer Nat'l Park, Needles highway, Wind Cave Nat'l Park and the ride from there up to Deadwood is great.  Spearfish, where you're staying, is also nice and a bit closer to Devil's Tower and Sturgis.  The Badlands are great and you have to stop in Interior for a drink and a burger while going to the Badlands.

The second trip there was last year, '08.  Again we stayed in Keystone.  We arrived mid rally week on Wednesday night.  We did the Sturgis thing on Thursday, but we didn't do the walking through the vendors out on the main drag.  I really missed the vendors last year because of other plans.  Then we always go back to Sturgis on Sunday to get the 4/$20 T-shirts etc.  Anything with a date on the shirt is discounted very deeply.

We stayed the next week and left for home on Friday following the rally week.  This was great for riding, but I'll have to admit I did miss the bikes.  I like to look at them and admire the old ones that make the trek to the Holy Land.

If it were an option again, I'd go the week before and do most of my riding then.  I'd probably leave on Wednesday during rally week.  This would get you riding and some bikes the first week and you'd get the full on affect of the rally doing Sturgis either Sunday or Monday.

Actually being there twice has been enough for me.  I'm looking for other areas for my riding vacation.  Myrtle Beach is out, Daytona is just the town.  Riding in the middle of Florida is very boring to me and the scenery is less that viewable.  I'll admit that southern Florida has not been an area I've been in so it may be worth doing.  I have a friend that lives about 20 miles from Deal's Gap and the Dragon's Tail, so that might be a quick area to ride through.  I feel that the Appalachian mountains might be some very good riding as they are pretty much the full length of the east coast.

Good luck to wreckman 42 on your trip.  Ride safe...
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

Berk

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Screamin’ Eagle® Ultra Classic® Electra Glide®, Stardust Silver and Twilight Blue
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2009, 03:04:47 PM »

we go the week before the rally. saves me large$ and get the best rooms. most of the vendors are set up in Sturgis the week before and drag over a couple days. The riding is better because there are less novices. ill be there the last week of july, staying at Spearfish lodge.
If you get into Rapid City, which you should, check out the Hotel Alex Johnson. way old and cool.

Anyone going ck out Black Hills State University dormitories for lodging very reasonable. Located in the town of Spearfish. Dorms available week before and week during rally. My wife and I stayed last year and definitely would do it again. there Phone # is  1-800-255-2478 or 1-605-642-6464

wreckman 42

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2009, 11:18:06 PM »

Thanks for all the replies. I am looking forward to seeing the sites in the black hills area. Really getting tired of the same stuff in our area. Gotta go while I can before I can't. Ride safe!
1956 FL Panhead
2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade
2003 Heritage Softail
2009 SE Ultra Classic

2009FLTRSE3

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SERG
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2009, 12:59:12 AM »

last year me and dad on my 07rk

2009FLTRSE3

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SERG
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2009, 01:01:00 AM »

devils tower 08

hogasm

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2009, 07:45:10 AM »

I have said that WHEN I go back to Sturgis it will be the week before or after the rally

Less crowds to enjoy the riding and still take advantage of some of the festivities of the rally :2vrolijk_21:

willymax4

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2009, 10:11:34 AM »

don't forget to check out a view of mt. rushmore that a lot of people don't take the time to see. :orange:

unclejaz

• CVO1: FLSTFSE2
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2009, 12:06:23 AM »

Hi Dan the last time I took the ferry was 2006 but I just checked the web site and the ferry is still running.lake-express.com
James

sem_bunda

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 Electric Orange
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2009, 05:40:09 PM »

Wreckman, pick up a Mad Maps probably from your local dealer - they have great routes planned out already all around Sturgis, into WY and MT even, including all the hot spots mentioned here.  Sturgis area Mad Map is one most dealers have.  We are headed up there the week before the rally too, launching from Rapid City for 3 days, riding up from Dallas area.

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2009, 06:02:41 PM »

Week before, great idea.  :2vrolijk_21:  Doc
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 20 queries.