Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  All

Author Topic: 09 SERG OIL TEMPS?  (Read 7524 times)

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
Re: 09 SERG OIL TEMPS?
« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2009, 08:03:00 PM »

95 ambient...1935 VLD. 74 cubic inch flat head...head temp of 285 after a 15 mile run and left idling..Cant get an oil temp as it cools off too fast as it hits the ground.  ;)

Same metal temps as the 2006 88" fxdli and the 2009 flhtcuse4 curiosly enough...  :nixweiss:

Highwaystar

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 SE Fat Boy
    • CVO2: Blown 150HP 09 SE Road Glide
    • CVO3: No need to go further!
« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2009, 09:59:34 PM »

6 hours @ 70mph, 85+ degrees, oil read 228. read the same a few reads.  :drink:
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 11:45:13 PM by Highwaystar »
HWStar - Pro Charger; 153 hp 136 ft lbs, Jackpot header, 2-1/4 Fullsac's, TTS and PC-V with auto-tune, Dynojet Quick shifter, Xenon HI/low.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2009, 10:10:34 PM »

6 hours @ 70mph, 85+ degrees, oil read 128. read the same a few reads.  :drink:

128c?  equal to 262f.....   :nixweiss:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Highwaystar

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2009, 11:46:08 PM »

228  :oops:
HWStar - Pro Charger; 153 hp 136 ft lbs, Jackpot header, 2-1/4 Fullsac's, TTS and PC-V with auto-tune, Dynojet Quick shifter, Xenon HI/low.

HDDOCFL

• 1K CVO Member
  • Never Say Never
« Reply #49 on: June 21, 2009, 07:55:34 AM »

I would consider the Jagg cooler to be a system and would want to use their adaptor before writing off the product.  Harley's design is very limiting, and while I don't know if the Jagg is much better I am assuming it can't be any worse.  You may also want to consider how you have your crash bar plumbed into the whole system.  I believe you said earlier it was in parallel, and if that's the case it may be robbbing flow from the cooler due to tubing size and lower restriction.  And yes, placing a radiator or oil cooler up in the actual air flow will cause hot air to flow onto the rider.  When we all get to ride the new water cooled Harley's in the near future, all the current talk about heat will be part of the "good ol' days".  I still remember way back to my first water cooled bike in 1982; when that fan kicked in while sitting at a light it could get downright toasty.

Jerry

PS.  Doc, trust me I fully understand how some things can get under your skin until you feel you just have to do something.  But I really think you're worrying and stressing too much over this oil temperature business.  The design of the engine is such that 230°F is considered normal oil operating temperature by the MoCo.  That is with the bike cruising down the road, not idling in traffic, and at standard ambient temperatures.  When you throw in those 90° and up ambients you get where you are, I can see where 240°-250° oil temps would be common.  Just keep using the best quality synthetic oil and try not to worry about it.  Just think how many folks are out there right now without a gauge and just enjoying the ride (now you know why I don't have an oil temp gauge mounted, btw).

The best oil temps I have had so far is with the stock cooler and adaptor plummed in parralle with the engine gaurd cooler plus the fact that the engine gaurd holds an extra qt. of oil. I use Redline products and have a decent tune, with outside temps in the 95* range, temps were at 250s at cruise with to up riding. I may sound as I am obsessing on these temps but I still enjoy the bike, I am just trying to get oil temps down to get some longevity out of this bike. But unless I can find a way to increase oil flow thru the coolers these temps will not change, with the 07 up big twins the majority of the oil returns to the tank un cooled.  Doc

jimp

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #50 on: June 21, 2009, 09:10:36 AM »

The best oil temps I have had so far is with the stock cooler and adaptor plummed in parralle with the engine gaurd cooler plus the fact that the engine gaurd holds an extra qt. of oil. I use Redline products and have a decent tune, with outside temps in the 95* range, temps were at 250s at cruise with to up riding. I may sound as I am obsessing on these temps but I still enjoy the bike, I am just trying to get oil temps down to get some longevity out of this bike. But unless I can find a way to increase oil flow thru the coolers these temps will not change, with the 07 up big twins the majority of the oil returns to the tank un cooled.  Doc

Doc, is it possible the flow needs to be decreased threw the cooler not increased? I run across this often with pumps in chillers. Another words the flow rate is to high or fast to allow heat exchange to occur, because it does not stay in the H/X for the desired period of time.

Highwaystar

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #51 on: June 21, 2009, 09:52:48 AM »

I agree. I do some drag racing and use restrictors to slow the flow of the cooling system. too fast and no heat transfer. Tight bearing clearances can raise oil temp....  :drink:
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 09:55:19 AM by Highwaystar »

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #52 on: June 21, 2009, 10:59:41 AM »

Doc, see what the Jagg folks have to say about flow with their adaptor versus the H-D version.  The adaptor/thermostat would be the thing to dictate how much oil is routed through the cooler, and if as you say the '07 and later system isn't routing enough oil through the cooler then perhaps Jagg's adaptor would help.  Since you've already gone this far, one more change with the adaptor might be worth a try.  And I would still question how much oil is really going through the cooler versus how much is going through the less efficient crash bar "cooler".  You might want to temporarily restrict the flow to the crash bar and see if you can detect any temp difference.

BTW, have you verified that the stock thermostat is actually opening fully at the correct temp?  If H-D didn't change anything recently, the specs for the thermostat are:

Start to Open    -   180°F
Fully Open        -   210°F

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

jimp

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #53 on: June 21, 2009, 11:48:21 AM »

It would interesting to know the design TD at GPM with ambient rating.

HDDOCFL

• 1K CVO Member
  • Never Say Never
« Reply #54 on: June 21, 2009, 12:25:32 PM »

With parralle pluming the oil takes the route of least resitance, I know that the HD cooler was designed to slow the oil down thru the cooler  with more restricted tubing, but what I see is that both the engine gaurd and cooler recieve about the same amount of oil and it is the coolest temps I have been able to get set up like this. I plan on calling Jagg Mon. to see if there adaptor routes more oil thru there coolers, but I see where its in the engine cases at the oil filter mount that the 07 up bikes have changed to send most of the oil back to the pan without cooling it thru the cooler. I also see it would be a challange to modifiy the HD adaptor to run without a  T Stat. you can remove the TStat but it would send even more oil back to the pan without cooling it, the by pass is machined in it and would need to be remachined to  remove the Tstat, yes the Tsat is working in my bike properly. Without the engine gaurd cooler the bike will run about 7* higher than in parralle with the stock cooler.  Thanks Doc       BTW the first thing I thought of was the TSat not opening up. Changed adaptors and it did same temps.

NVWLDTHG

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 CVO™ Road Glide® - FLTRSE3
    • CVO2: 2004 R1200CL (Chromehead)
    • CVO3: 1979 R100RT (Airhead)
« Reply #55 on: June 21, 2009, 01:44:17 PM »

Doc, "plummed in parrallel"?  Please clarify, you've run a in series setup with engine out to a primary cooler, than to secondary cooler, and then back to engine?  And, the parrallel setup runs cooler?

HDDOCFL

• 1K CVO Member
  • Never Say Never
« Reply #56 on: June 22, 2009, 07:27:27 AM »

This is a rough drawing of parralle coolers.  Doc

HDDOCFL

• 1K CVO Member
  • Never Say Never
« Reply #57 on: June 22, 2009, 07:28:54 AM »

In series, they say a pic is worth a thousand words.  Doc

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #58 on: June 22, 2009, 07:26:33 PM »

6 hours @ 70mph, 85+ degrees, oil read 228. read the same a few reads.  :drink:

6 hours @ 80mph 95+ degrees, oil read 256, got caught in road const, stop and go, oil went to 266  before we could get off the I-80......gotta get outta Illinois, the roads suck!
HOGMIKE

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #59 on: June 22, 2009, 10:40:07 PM »

6 hours @ 80mph 95+ degrees, oil read 256, got caught in road const, stop and go, oil went to 266  before we could get off the I-80...... gotta get outta Illinois, the roads suck!

Don't bother coming to Indiana, the cheap bastards here haven't even filled the potholes from last winter yet.  Or I should say, haven't filled them with anything other than the cold patch loose fill crap that comes back out after the first two vehicles drive over it, where it then gets deposited on your vehicle.  Funny how that crap won't stick to the road, but it sticks like epoxy to the bike or car.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  All

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 21 queries.